The Boys Scouts of America and Gay Leadership

Well guys, now that a high or the highest figure in the Boys Scouts of American has come out and said that the …“present policy” keeping adult gays out of BSA leadership positions …" is not working…" (more or less, paraphrase), what is going to happen? To me I felt that when last year’s change that allowed “same gender attracted” youth to participate in the BSA was the beginning of the slippery slope. Now, with the latest BSA national HQ statement, that the “present” BSA policy baring adult gays (paraphrase) from leadership positions
“is failing” (quote) what will the LDS Church do as sponsors of local troops and Packs, etc? To me if the Church removed the stated policy that the BSA is “the official male youth program for the Church” (paraphrase), how might that change affect the Church and scouting?
. The other issue is if a kid or adult identifies that they are LGBT how will they fit into LDS and other churches (like the Southern Baptists or other conservative churches) as sponsored local organizations (like troops, packs, etc)?
Will the LDS church and other socially conservative churches go their own way and begin their own scouting type of program like some churches and other conservative groups already do now?

Hopefully the program goes away.

Be more specific KC.

I hope the church parts ways with the BSA

The way that the church staffs the Boy Scout troops is different than the way many scouting organizations function. In the church, we don’t have volunteers exactly. We have people assigned to function in the various positions. As a result, any change in policy will have a minimal effect on the church as long as the BSA does not require that troop leadership include individuals with any specific lifestyle.
Additionally, BSA is unlikely to make any changes that will eliminate LDS Church sponsorship of scouting. As the largest supporter of scouting, the LDS church has substantial influence.
In spite of these facts, I would not be surprised if the LDS church moved away from scouting. I think they have been preparing to do so for quite some time. It would only require minor adjustments to the current young men’s program to address the needs of the young men outside of the Boy Scouts.

Why? Young men gain much from being Boy Scouts. It’s sad when morally straight is convoluted to the point that worthwhile programs are destroyed by good intentioned people losing their moral compass.

The BSA lost their moral compass long ago at the corporate level. Take a look at the salaries even the local council member pull and tell me the current organization is full of corruption.

Rblack,
When this issue came up originally, the Church told BSA if they went down that road, then the church would part ways and develop their own organization for the boys.

The church BSA program is the largest group currently associated with BSA, I believe the Catholics are number two.
If this issue persist, my belief would be both the LDS church and Catholic would pull their support and create their own program.

If that happens, BSA will go down the tube… for what? Being politically correct?

you do know who now runs BSA, right Scott?

Robert Gates… former Secretary of the Defense under Obama…

You and Jim seem to have this idea that large salaries goes hand in hand with immorality and wickedness. It’s the “love of money” that does. I would say that what has happened is immoral godless persons have taken over and corrupted the BSA. Gates being one of those leftists who believe there is no sin or wickedness.

The entire organization is corrupt and uses the Mormon church as a profit center to raise funds for them.

How is the entire organization corrupt?

The sexual abuse cover ups and the tax shelters they use to distribute the funds within are all being exposed as frauds. It’s time for the church to do the right thing and cut support and sponsorship of this program instead of being their henchmen in collecting funds for them as if it’s part of the priesthood responsibility. It’s so contradictory to the Lords plan for his people’s offerings.

This guy a few years ago was even punished by his local church leaders for speaking up.

Wow… here we go again…

you take the word of a man who having reported in an “established” anti Mormon paper and say you have all the facts…

Way to go KC… at least you are consistent…

1 Like

These self proclaimed martyrs make me sick. Nothing but self righteous eggheads. Kate what’s her name and now this guy. Ya, he will take it to excommunications if he could.
All organizations including schools have problems with sexual abuse. Should we shut down the Churches and all our schools because of it?
And, as far as what executives are paid, why is that your business?

Because the church I pay tithes and offerings to also pressures members to pay into the friends of scouting donations now at almost $150 per boy and yet we see the fat cats in the BSA just getting fatter.

Ironic you have an issue with the government doing with with democrats yet find no problem with the church and BSA doing this? At least pretend to be consistent.

So instead of discrediting the statements you blankety try and dismiss the paper as a whole as antimormon? Wow. I’m sure you would find the Oregonian the same as they posted articles of the sex abuse cover ups, or maybe the countless others news outlets that have posted very similar claims of the fat cats in the BSA abuse of funds and their new camp back east? Instead you chose to defend them by saying the tribune can’t be trusted, ok, whatever.

You are not consistant. You are entangling two separate issues and poorly at it.

I don’t pay tithing or fast offerings to help out the BSA. I do it out of obedience to my covenants I made in the Temple.

Any extra activities these days require cost such as little league, cheerleading, high school football and so on. $150 isn’t out of line. It’s great that people are willing to help out and donate. Without great leaders the organization would fall apart. Salaries tend to get the best or the worst leaders. It’s called capitalism.

Why should the tribune be trusted? Kind of depends on the author of the article. The thing is, I saw it as just reporting the facts. You took those facts and twisted them into your rant. Next Sunday’s gospel doctrine lesson is concerning hypocrites. Some denying the truth about who Jesus Christ is and to deny our current prophets. Pay attention :slight_smile:

From the Gospel Doctrine manual for lesson 20. “How might we as Church members sometimes be hypocrites…we sustain our leaders and then criticize their decisions”
Way to go KC.