The Boys Scouts of America and Gay Leadership

Most of the people who work for Boy Scouting are paid well below what I would call fair compensation for the type of work they do. Perhaps many professionals in scouting could easily double their salary if they went to other companies.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Boy-Scouts-of-America-Salaries-E7807.htm

The gentleman who the tribune story is about isn’t the only one who feels the way he does…

I think the Boy Scouts is in trouble for reasons other than mentioned. Like most non-profits, they have part time leaders, volunteers and underpaid staff. Only the executive director seems to have a high salary. Perhaps the boys at the camps could do more to take care of the facilities themselves.

My experience as a scout wasn’t a good one. There was a lot of bullying in my troop. Most of the Eagle scouts earned the award because their mothers did most of the work. The reason some of the young men in my ward became less active was because of scouts.

I had good and bad experiences as an adult leader, I found that most parents just wanted a place for the boys to go to get them out of the house one night a week. They didn’t take the program seriously at all. I had little support from the Bishop and other leaders in the ward. The exception was when the Bishop was an eagle scout himself…then the experience was good.

KC: I don’t quite agree with you, but the gay promotion by the BSA sure fits the bill. My question is how is a LGBT going to be defined by the BSA?

Part-time leaders, volunteers and underpaid staff. Sounds a bit like the Church :wink: Perhaps if the leaders would take their priesthood responsibilities seriously then scouts might be better. We have a great Young Men’s President and scout leadership. We have several non-members coming as our troop is using the experience as a missionary tool too. But, I agree with you about the article is off base for the reason the BSA is in trouble. It’s simply that they are pushing the two main Churches away from supporting them. Those who hate people who make more than them (KC, Jim…) won’t have to worry if we and other churches back out…

For Floyd since he only considers D News as a valid source

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/695226688/Scouts-may-be-thrifty-but-some-leaders-are-well-paid.html?pg=all&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

http://m.ocregister.com/taxdollars/strong-477017-span-style.html

And make all the money you want in the private sector, I have no problem with that. The lds church makes up 35% of all BSA troups and pays for all YM ages 8-18 regardless of their activity level in the program out of tithing funds. And then goes and asks for members to pay for friends of scouting up to $150 per boy per ward. So unlike traditional BSA troups who volentsroty pay into it, the church doesn’t give members the option, it’s manditory paid membership for all young men 8-18.

So yes, I do have every right to take issue with the misuse of funds given by any member who pays tithing or Into friends of scouting. And when I see where most f that money is going to, I chose to cast my vote for the church cutting ties. It may have to wait for a few of the old timers to pass on, but it will come. We don’t want to be associated when this all goes down.

Even some of their own are sick of it

And their refusal to release the number of settlements and victims they never reported to the police or helped cover up to keep their name clean, the lds church should not be aligned with them.

So, you pay tithing as long as you have a say where the Church leaders spend it. You need to take stock in what you believe. You sound more and more like a sadducee.

No one is forced to pay $150. People are allowed to give what the can afford and want to give.

BSA is used as the activity arm of the Aaronic Priesthhood. But it’s not an auxiliary of the Church. If a young man wants to be a scout, how is that different than joining soccer leagues and paying to play?

You think if there are bad apples in a bushel that all the apples have to be tossed out. There will always be abusers in every large organization. Yet you want gay leaders in the BSA. Hypocrite

1 Like

The Boy Scout program when properly executed by good leadership is a great program for the church. A missionary program? That would be nice, in a sense, every program in the church is a missionary program in one respect or another.

If the Church and the Boy Scouts part ways, there will still be activities in the same manner in which they exist today. There will still be those missionary opportunities.

And it will be a program under the control of the church, and not the BSA who is run by criminals and corruption.

KC,
I discount any paper article because I know for a fact the reporter slants what is said to fit their intention of the article. As I have told you many times, I know someone who played for BYU years ago, was “quoted” by a reporter for SLTrib… And it was NOT WHAT HE SAID… To this day, the guy will never interview with SL trib …

You seem to want to load on the church by assuming that everything the article has said is true… YOU DON’T KNOW what actually happen KC… That is your problem… You ■■■/U/E way to much…

There is a difference between “Cover Up” and “Confidential”…

In the early years (up until probably mid 1980’s) the church use to direct the Bishop’s to keep these things “Confidential” and out of the media in order to help the person overcome issues… They use to announce excommunication in Priesthood…

I believe the change was because of the case in Oregon, for us the Prophet determined that Bishop’s really don’t know how to solve “mental issues” (which sex abuse is considered). That is why they poor so much money into the Social Service department over the past 20 years…

Was it cover up? or where they doing what the Lord had asked … Keeping it Confidential? I believe the later, in an ever changing world, they saw the problem of trying to the let the Bishop handle these issues and made changes.

Not sure why you are so bitter, but I have a suggestion… I would suggest you go talk to that in-law General Authority you mention frequently and tell him these exact points about the church that you dislike so much… You know (it is ok to drink beer once in awhile, Church cover ups, etc…)… Let me know how that conversation turns out.

1 Like

You know KC… I have been a long time Scouter… Been invited multiple times to Philmont (BSA retreat)…

In the past 35 years being married, I have never been pressured to give money to Friends of Scouting EVER! Nor have I EVER been told what amount to give…

Maybe that is an “Arizona Mormon” Thing…

Ben… most eagle are earned by the mothers… That is true…

I have been a scout master for longing than I would like to think…

I have had scout troops where bullying happened, my son was in one… I became one of those parents who not only worked as scout master, but when not called, I went on all the campouts and helped out as much as I could…

because of past experiences, I never allowed the bullying… I simply did not happen with me around… if it did, the poor kid would pay a price for it.

Sorry if that happened to you… never should.

KC… can you show me where I have EVER said “he only considers D News as a valid source”???

Isn’t that called “bearing false witness”? Because I have never said it EVER!..

like I said, I do not believe new articles because their is ALWAYS a slant by the reporter…

Sorry dude… YOU ARE WRONG!

Actually KC… you are a bit misleading…

The church funds Young men’s Organizations for the year… That includes the annual registration fees for Scouting. As far as I know, that is the only thing is pays for in Scouting the rest is for the Priesthood oriented activities during the month. Fund raisers and other things are done in order to help pay for Scout Camps…

The friends of Scouting funds (that you dislike so much ) money is divided up as follows:
2 percent - Management (Upper Level you refer to)
8 percent - Fund Raising costs.
26 percent - Council Camps
64 percent - “Programs, Activities, Training and Service” - This includes such things as:

1. Record keeping of Advancement
  2. Maintenance of the council camps
  3. Scout Jamborees of all sort and levels
  4. Training of the adult leaders
  5. Round Tables
    6.Community Service
  6. Scout Shops
    8.Local unit support

Ya, and a specific dollar amount, which is illegal to do. Perhaps a suggested amount of $150 but never forced nor the only amount they accept. KC seems to believe anything written down in print except the scriptures (all of them) and the current day Prophets.

Thanks for the breakdown. Churp, Churp from KC. 2% for running one of the largest organizations on the planet and KC is upset someone earns $300,000/yr. I wonder what he thinks about the quorum of the 12 and the 1st presidencies pay? Perhaps that is why he attacks them so much.

You are right, it’s not $150, it’s $165, I was wrong.

http://www.grandcanyonbsa.org/document/fos-2015-lds-fos-brochure/143257

Please elaborate on what you think they are paid each year for their service. they don’t publish their pay and benefits for a reason, but I can tell you most make more as GA’s than they ever made in the private sector. The tax shelter alone makes it a sweet deal for sure.

I doubt that. Especially the doctor and attorneys. President Hinckley was asked that on 60 minutes. He wouldn’t say other than about what CEO’s of most corporations alluding to about $200,000 to $250,000. They did give up their incomes and are full-time. Many will be so for 30-40 years or more.
The rest of us have jobs to allow the local ministry to be done without salaries. Do you have a problem with any of this?

I have always had a hard time with friends of scouting. I was in a ward once that had 2 active boy scouts and we were expected to raise about $1500. Our entire scout budget for the year was about a $150. I am a bear leader and have a token $20 budget this year and am asked to donate to friends of scouting and it is a hard sell when we are already paying out of pocket for ours boys.

I enjoyed scouts until I was old enough to go camping with friends as a teen. Many boys today choose club sports and jobs so I get why BSA is doing anything it can to attract and keep boys. Changing up the programs like they did this year will do little to fix why people are leaving.

So, based on your assumptions, the average American with only u a high school degree will make $1.2m in their lifetime. $2.1m with a bachelors and $2.5 with a masters. Based on a 40 years of work average or so.

Yet a president monson after 50+ years as a GA at your predicted amount will finish just over $10m. Is that about right? The other GA’s after only 10 years of service will = the average American with a masters degree and 40+ years of employment?

Do you now understand why these numbers are not published? And how losing the tax excemption would hurt the church due to them being forced to open the books on this?

My relative has signed a non disclosure agreement when he was called as a GA, which prohibits him from sharing the specific details, but he simply has said he makes more now than he or any of the current brethren would have ever made in the private sector based solely on they are paid this till they die, and their surviving spouse benefits continue as well. He doesn’t like this, and has formally asked for it to be taken under consideration and modified as it’s not just the Q12 we are talking about, it includes members of the 70 and most mission and temple presidents.

You do know there is a corporate side that pays taxes. I have no problem with them paid for their work on both sides. Once again, coveters continue to complain. People give up their jobs and travel a lot and you complain. Shame on you!
By the way, I know many people who never graduated high school who earn 6 and 7 figures incomes. I was reading in Success magazine this month about a high school dropout, woman, black and an ex-con who has built her own business big time. 7 figure income. I have no idea what your continued point is about people who make more money than you. Coveting and hypocrasy. Grow up.