Name 5 requirements necessary to be positive about next year

Rather than put lipstick on a pig, what do you need to see to believe next year will show improvements? I know injuries were absurd this year and it’s unlikely our luck is that bad again, but if you had 5 minutes with administration what specific actions would you ask from them?

For me:

1. At a bare minimum, bring in someone innovative to be “Co-offensive Coordinator” with Ty to call plays and put them both in the booth. I know some people make an argument for firing or patience, so I see this as an acceptable compromise administration might actually do. And fire O line, WR, and RB coaches as long as you can find a better replacement.
  2. Again, at a bare minimum, Kalani needs to be more involved with the defense if he’s not going to fire Tuiaki. I think Tuiaki could do other jobs on this defense, but coordinator…I don’t know. Put Kaufusi back in charge of the D line as well.
  3. Admit the offense probably won’t work going forward, regardless of recruits because of complexity. Maybe I’m wrong about the specific problem here, but I see alternatives that use some pro-style principles that might fit the college game and BYU better. We can’t go head up against better talent. We need innovation, risk, and efficiency.
  4. JC Transfers anyone? I’m not as familiar with what we have coming in next year. Maybe Wilstead is special and we have the talent, it just needs better coaching. Better and faster DE are at the top of my wishlist. I know that sounds a little weird given all the other problems on defense, but we stink at attacking the QB and that exposes corners and safeties and puts linebackers in conflict. Underdog football needs to aggressively attack the QB, yes you’ll give up some stuff because of that, but hitting the QB leads to more fumbles and interceptions and we need turnovers to win.
  5. Better leadership. I’m not with the team, but this seems like the best explanation for what I’m seeing.

This seems reasonable. If I were a big-time donor, I feel like I could make a strong case for this to the administration and make it happen. Am I off base here?

As a side note, this popped up when I was writing this post suggesting this topic from last year was similar:

Laugh or cry?

I do not mind having bad years, they happened under Lavell and he was able to get it turned around. But this last year… it was not a bad year, the football games were awful to watch. No progress during the year, in some cases it regressed instead progressed.

My answers:

1. We have had four different starting QB’s, while it is true they got hurt… NON of them looked good when they played.
    For me, Detmer does not have the skill set to call plays, he seems to be out matched when going against the better teams defensive coaches that we have played this year. So your idea about getting someone with experience calling the plays sounds good, but I think ego would get in the way.

So for me, Detmer needs to go, we need a full time QB coach and a Full time OC WITH EXPERIENCE on the D1 level.

1. Kalani has to get rid of Empey(O-line) and Mahe (RB), neither one of them has any coaching in high school nor D1 prior to being hired and it showed this year. I will give Cahoon another year, because I saw what he did the first time he was a coach at BYU.

I know Kalani wanted to bring the Lavell Edwards feelings back to BYU football, but if you look at who Lavell had as assistants, most them were hard nosed coaches who expected results (Holmgren, Scovil, Chow, Whittingham, Tolner, etc).
He needs to hire more experienced D1 assistant coaches to match the experience of the coaches on the teams we play.

1. Defense - Absolutely put Kaufusi back as Line coach… I think Kalani and Tuiaki are too tight for Kalani to can him,
    I think Gifford did an okay job as DB coach, so maybe give him a pass for another year. it hard to provide coverage when the D-line puts no pressure on the QB.

We need to find JC transfers who can perform to help the defense next year.

1. Hold the players more accountable, I remember when a O-lineman missed a block, Roger French yanked him and gave him a tongue lashing (sailor talk) as well as sat him out the next series of plays… He held his lineman accountable and a lot of them ended up in the NFL.

2. BYU needs to get into a conference again, not sure the P5 conferences are willing, but BYU administration need to do what they can to get it done ASAP

Agreed, this is beyond a down year. UNLV must be wondering how they lost to us.

Part of me wants experience and part of me wants someone from a lower level with a lot of creativity…I’d take both if I can get it. Sometimes I think coaches come in with their system and thinking and assume that’s the best possible answer. Those system coaches can do well if they have what they need, but if not it’s a disaster. A real coach recognizes there is no perfect strategy, there is only the goal and situation. Everything else must adapt.

I love your point about Roger French! Kalani is a great guy, and now he needs a few Sargent major Plumleys.

I hesitate with the conference thing. I’d love to be in a P5 despite this year because of the money and recruiting perks. But moving back to a g5 hurts our money and recruiting. It changes the scheduling dynamic and it would appease some fans and enrage others…Plus the TV problems.

They were overconfident, just like BYU has been in a few of their games, particularly UMass.

It is funny to imagine that UNLV could be overconfident when playing BYU but I’m guessing that is what it was.

You mean that worked in our favor for once? YES!!!

I did notice their fans were leery about this game…I guess they had good reason.

1. Major coaching changes. Losing records hurt recruiting and give the program a negative appeal. Most head coaches wouldn’t survive a year like this with the added off the field problems.
  2. Player accountability within the players themselves. You can’t lose dynamic players on stupid behaviour infractions. It would be nice if the players looked out for each other and maybe they do, but how does a freshman running back get caught with weed in Happy Valley?
  3. Offense designed more for your talent level. They should have utilized their running backs more effectively on screens and run the same pick plays everyone else seems to be getting away with.
  4. Defense was too predictable, especially THE first 2/3 of the season. Didn’t blitz nearly enough and when they did everyone knew it. They made decent qb’s look like child prodigies.
  5. Ramp up their intensity. They aren’t on missions anymore. Play like Tataki with a chip on their shoulders. You can be nice and polite after the game. OL need to play like their center-They are plenty big enough, but some of them play soft.

Tried to make these a little different than maybe typical rah rah dyed in blue near-sighted BYU groupie, but they have some validity. Bring on baseball​:wink::laughing::sunglasses::thinking:

1. I am not ready to fire anyone yet. Maybe after next season, if we do not have a 8 win season,
    I may reconsider. I am not yet ready to have a co-OC yet. I have been asking all season to hire a
    successful high level consultant to help and advise the OC that we now have, and now we all
    express a need for this help.

When it comes to the receivers coach, and the other who was among the best, as a player, that we
    have ever had, I re-state, "You can’t make sweet orange juice out of unsweetened lemons. "I do
    not believe that the problem is the coaches. Instead, I believe that the problem lies in an
    unwillingness to find a way to get more 4-5 star recruits. When we played in the WAC and in the
    MWC, got away with using mostly 3,2,1, 0 star players. As an independent, playing P5 teams, that
    have mostly 4-5 star players, it is not very smart on our part to believe that we can be successful
    playing these teams without the same quality players.

I will give my opinion on issue @2,3, 4, and 5 in another post.

I agree with your points, especially this:

Normally, I would second your patience given the injuries but I take issue with a lot of the strategic and tactical decisions throughout the year. More importantly the lack of fundamentals is still a problem: ball security, blocking, tackling (hawk tackling anyone?) etc.

I’m still doubtful we can compete with Alabama, USC, and Texas to get enough 4 and 5 star recruits to compete at that level. I don’t see a path for us to do that. Maybe we can go baptize them? We would need more money, national prominence, recognized NFL pipeline, easier academic standards, a less white campus, fewer rules about sex and alcohol, and even after all that I’m suspicious that a lot of schools are still buying recruits. I’m sure we can make marginal improvements to recruiting but I think the Boise St strategy is more likely.

We were just out coached my U Mass. They saw what our running game did at UNLV and coached there team during the week to just shut it. With no running games and a green QB we saw the sorry results. I just wonder why our coaching staff never seems to see these things nor ever change.
WYCOWBOY

Clauswitz,

My guess is that the Church is starting to prepare us for the elimination of the football program altogether.

The Desert News today, has an article, “The Rise and Fall of BYU Football”
I will cry, after being a fan since 1953-54 school year and attending several games each year since than and most of the bowl games, if and when the program does shut down.

I would rather close the program than have us go down to FCS or do poorly in a G5 conference.

It seems that the University/Church has conflicting needs and we can’t make it with both. The way we do things and say things, and are, religiously, and politically, and what is needed to be successful today in college football are at odds with each other. Where there is no willingness for change, their is no possibility
for success at BYU Football. It’s almost as though the downfall was planned.

Adapt or die.

I wish they would have tried running the ball more. The pass protection was a joke. They were playing it well but still…

I have no idea about the distant trajectory of the program. I think we can succeed in the same way boise st did. If the brethren want the program shut down, fine.

But as long as the program is a good example, (it’s not right now) and has a popular following, I don’t see it being shut down.

If the Mormon connection becomes a problem, fine. But until then, I’ll enjoy it.

What I have to say is not to find fault, but to find solutions.

So far, all I hear is the reasons why we can not make any changes from doing what once was acceptable and successful, but no longer is.

I hear no solutions to help bring our Cougars the needed help that they deserve.

When ever anyone suggest a possible change, they are trounced upon explaining why that change is not possible, yet they have no solutions of their own.

For those that see no need for change, they would rather continue with 3-12 or 3-13 seasons than to make any changes.
The worse part of that thinking is that all 3 wins came from teams ranked around 120 out of 130 teams. Worse than that, we let teams ranked around 100 beat us.

I am irritated by those that pick and choose the scriptures they choose to follow, and ignore the scriptures that indicate they are mistaken in the way they are exercising their beliefs. Instead of making necessary changes in the way we do things to those that are not in our fold, be it political, religious, or genetically different, we choose to believe that all that we do and say are the Lords will and all that they do and say, that do not agree with us, is against the will of the Lord. My, just how often must we blame the Lord for our own bias?

For every action, there is a opposite but equal reaction.

If we think that we in Utah, can interfer in California elections, (Prop 8) and think that those from California where USC, UCLA, Standford and Cal, find their home in the Pac 12, don’t care and will soon forget about it, then we are sadly mistaken.

While it is said that Holllywood, (near UCLA and USC) and San Francisco, (near Stanford and Cal) are two of the 3 main gay centers of the world, and we loudly and proudly, and self rightously let the world know that we believe that the LGBT community should not have the right to marry as we straights do, and that their chances of getting into the highest degree of glory in heaven is not as great as we straights, and that they, but not we straights, are an abonation in the sight of the Lord, we can’t expect them, the LGBT community to love us and want to help us get into any P5 conference anywhere in the USA and infact, that seperate but equal reaction will cause them to work as hard at keeping us out of P5 conferences as we worked hard at keeping them from having the opportunity to get married.

We try to make the LGBT community feel less worthy than ourselves, and than P5 conferences in those communities feel that they don’t want the added burden of BYU in their ranks with all the controversal bagage that BYU brings with them or all the controversal bagage that BYU will cause to follow them. Why bother with BYU if they don’t have to. It may be better not to expand than to have to deal with BYU. (Big 12)

If we tell P4-P5 players that they should be grateful to be accepted by BYU and not the other way around, than the response may well be, that they will go elsewhere at a place where there talents will be more appreciated. (BM)

Every P5 QB that has come to us, each has failed so badly that they could not achieve anywhere else. Broken spirit to prove that 3 star and less players are every bit as good and valuable as the 5 star, and in fact, 4-5 star players in the past, (BM), have sit on the bench, while far less talented players have been the starters or had much more playing time.

If we tell the world that we are more honorable because our honor code is more restrictive, than the reaction we received from those perceived less honorable Universities, with their more liberal codes of decency, may find fault and reason to call us hypocrites.

Every P5 team has a P5 conference and a vote as to let us in or keep us out.

The more we continue to sit ourselves up as the example to follow, thus indicating that no other university, be they ND, Boston College, TCU, Baylor, SMU or other university, being a Church owned University or not, has a chance for their revenge by keeping us out of what we so badly need in order to continue and be successful. Again, in other words, as we sew, so shall we reep.

Because of what we have sewen in the past, that which we now have, is not worth harvesting. We can change that if we act now and wait no longer to change that which should have never happened in the first place. Like some politions that we all know, are we too proud, or to correct, to say we are sorry and mean that we are indeed sorry?

We have to start taking very, very, very seriously the commandment that we do onto others as we would have them do onto us. When they do it onto us, we call it predgedist. When we do it onto them, we call it spreading the gospil truth.

One way or the other, we lose. We lose because we have too hard of a time controlling our own arrogance. We don’t want to change but we expect others to change. What does that say about us? ( the chosen correct ones?) Come on !!!

Is it arrogant to think that O N L Y LDS Head Coaches can be trusted to bring us an honorable football program? What does this tell the football world that we think about non LDS coaches? Could this be one of many reasons that we feel the disapproval of us, (Prejudice), from others? Is there a pattern why we feel disapproval or prejudice from others. Could at least part of it be our own fault, or are we too perfect to accept any responsibility?

Can’t we put faith in our Athletic Director to hire the very best coach in the Nation to come to Provo with the contract stating that the coach can do nothing that will bring shame or embarrassment to the University and than let him do the best coaching that he is known for. Why must we insist that our HC be LDS? Why must we insist that we pay him less than he could get anywhere else? Why must we make him have more terms and conditions and restrictions in his contract than any other place he would go?

Why do we continually think, that we save money paying $1million a year to a coach that if lucky, will bring us a $1 million bowl game at the end of the season, and flood our teams with new 0,1,2,3 star recruits.

Why can’t we see that a $8 million dollar coach like Urban Myers, like Nick Saben, is just as likely to get us a $15 million dollar bowl at the end of the season and flood our team with new 4-5 star recruits, and, get us into a P5 conference almost immediately without even waiting for the new TV contracts of waiting for the new P5 expansions. Does anyone think that ND would not be accepted in any confereence at any time that ND was ready to make the move?

Yes we do want 4-5 star recruits. Yes, we do want as many of them as possible to be LDS. We don’t have many, and those that are 5 star recruits, have learned from past history, that they are better off going to a P5 conference school like Utah, like UCLA, like USC, or any other Pac 12, Big 12, Big 10 or SEC conference team.

In the meantime, should we not acknowledge that non LDS athletes with 4-5 stars that could help us, if treated with respect, They could give us the chance to advance that others with 0,1,2,3 stars can not do?

Why should we force 4-5 star players or any number of star players, or 0 star players that are good enough to be accepted on the team, but are not LDS, to pretend to believe and have the same value system as LDS . Why should we force them to live the word of wisdom if they do not believe in it. (Okay, it’s a trade off at best. We want and we need the player. They want and they need to live by their own value system and not ours.)

Where is the compromise, Someone please come up with a compromise that works and that allows us to be successful and allows them to be themselves without pretending to be, something that they are not and that they do not wan to be?

Why can’t we let the NCAA rules and sactions, if any, be for our non member players, and let the member players decided individually on an individual bases, if they want to play under the NCCA rules or under the combination of both the NCAA and the Honor Code. Let that be the member choice. Let that be the non member choice. Let that be every football players choice. Perhaps those choosing the combination of both the NCAA and the Honor Code can have some kind of special recognition after the season. (Not during the season, but after the season).

If necessary, think of the University as two schools in one. The first school being the religious and academic Mormon schcool and the other being an all inclusive athletic school within the BYU community. If necessary, make the distiction. If not necessary, don’t make the distiction.

I have given many very unpopular suggestions and I have already heard from almost everyone why they won’t work and especailly why the changes are not wanted. I have yet heard one single suggestion from anyone on any site, about what we should do to make BYU a strong, proud, accomplished and polished football team again and not be the generation that lets the team die on the vine. I am 82 years old, but as long as I am alive, I will fight to keep our cougars strong with all the help I can encourage others to find for them. I am not able to do it myself, but you younger guys can if you only will. Please try to save our Cougars.

Nonsense. I suggest adapting strategies to personnel, the Boise St. approach vs the Alabama approach (recruit an NLF team). That means:

1. Increasing the statistical variance within a game.
  2. Finding and improving the inefficiencies in the economic system of college football, particularly recruiting.
  3. Innovate and be weird.
  4. Pay up for assistants. Good position coachs get 3 stars to overachieve.
  5. Play fewer tough games. ~ 3 tough games? Comparable to Boise St, and develop long-term engagements with other schools to develop rivalries, it seems like fans only care about w’s and are less concerned with the quality of the competition. This year we stunk, but there’s no reason we can’t consistently beat teams like Wyoming or the service academies if we adopt the right strategy. Also, add a few lower level P5 teams who don’t consistently compete at a high level. Georgia gets to play against a crappy Vanderbilt and Tennessee team every year, why shouldn’t we?
  6. Develop and market an underdog identity. Be known as scrappy, smart, and innovative. Blue collar meets advanced analytics. I can root for that. We are underdogs, wear that as a badge of honor.

6 specific suggestions for competing at a higher level. (winning bowl games.) Incidentally, if BYU miraculously made the playoff, this is how they would do it. I’m focused on winning better bowl games.

Addressing your main position. I want 5-star athletes, P5 invites, and respect. But:

1. Football is just a game. I love it, but I will not pull a Gordon Monson and call to end the Honor Code because I care more about winning football games than doing the right thing. We don’t force anyone to do anything. We invite. BYU is a church ambassador. Sure beard regs can go away, but students should be held to a high standard to be here. We should do our best to love one another and improve relationships with those that disagree with us. But not at the cost of changing our doctrines and beliefs to better align with the world in hopes of getting along. No we shouldn’t look down on people who disagree with us. But either our doctrine is God’s or it isn’t and temple marriage is an exceptionally clear part of the doctrine. If my gay neighbor invites me over to watch the game, of course I’ll hang out with him and his husband and I’ll be comfortable because I know we both respect each other’s core beliefs even though we’re fundamentally opposed. We can love each other without trying to change each other and without agreeing.
  2. Mormons make up about 3% (?) of the US population and few are black. We do have an extensive membership outside, but few play football.
  3. We are a weird, white Mormon school in Provo UT. That’s a hard sell. Then on top of that, they can’t drink or have sex? Oh and by the way…dating will be tricky.

Bottom line, increasing BYU recruit ratings is unlikely. A P5 invite is a longshot, Gaining respect is an area can work on.

You look at the honor code as people saying it’s an excuse why we can’t win. I say it poses a challenge, but we can adapt to that challenge. A few caveats about culture and practice of the Honor Code:

1. Let the bishops handle it and let it be even handed to students and student-athletes. Don’t banish one because he’s a public figure and not a regular student. If it’s a non-member kid, frankly, let’s just get a team chaplain. That’s not an out there idea. He could even be a non-member at that point.
  2. Simplify down to temple standards. Beards and flip-flops aren’t a problem. Illegal drugs are.
  3. Find alternative punishments, Terrible terrible punishments, to avoid humiliating guys by making them sit. This isn’t even about winning for me. Again, make it about helping them and not just the image of the school. If it’s flagrant, then you bench them.
  4. The snitch culture at BYU must be addressed.

TL/DR: Unlikely BYU can recruit a star level on average better. Therefore other strategies to adapt: Increased variance, efficiency, and innovation. Pay up for assistant coaches. Ease up on the schedule. Embrace and market an underdog identity. Treat the Honor code as a challenge to make us better and not an excuse why we can’t, but make a few tweaks.

Clausewitz,

Thank you for my first reply with suggestions in addition to negative and not just negative reply.
(Nonsense or not)

This is what I get from your suggestion, (that I can see as possible)

1. Who and how is this to be done? (increased statistical variance within a game)
    Can our present coachers and 0,1,2,3 star
    players do this.

2. Too general for me. (as stated). How much can we gain from just improving the
    existing inefficiencies. Will it be enough to do [what ] with the savings. Please
    give more detail. I am interested. Try not to be generic. Be specific in terms of
    BYU current situation.

3. Innovate and be weird. I like this. I have been screaming for this all year,
    We have been far too conservative, too void of risk, and extremely predictable
    and lack of creativity.

4, I totally agree. Again, if you will read my past postings, almost all have been
asking for top tier consultants to come in and assistant or assistant coaches.

1. This is where we have a parting of ways,  

I am looking at the year 2024 when the new TV contracts are made and P5
    conference expansion is expected to go to 14-16 teams each.

We can not lower our SOS if we are expected to be able:

( 1)be ready and worthy to be accepted into a P5 conference,

(2.) be able to compete vs. 9 P5 teams per season along with 3 cup cakes.

(3) We are not going to be ready by giving ourselves an easier schedule. Instead
    we are going to be ready by getting a respected coach ($8 million per year plus coach),
    who’s name and prestige will get us in a P5 conference and who’s name and prestige
    will have more 4-5 star athletes wanting to come and play for him, than we have
    scholar ships to offer. We need to do this now. We only have 6 seasons to get
    our guys ready to compete vs. the P5’ers.

(4). We need name recognition like Nick Sabin, Urban Myers, and/or any of the
    top 5 coaches. This is not cheap, but as things stand now, we can not be
    penny wise and pound foolish.

(5). 1million per year coaches does not have the reputation that will help us
    get into a P5 conference or attract the 4-5 star players that we need in
    order to compete against the Universities with many 4-5 star players.

(6). We have to stop and put an end to certain un-necessary road blocks that
    we constantly put before our team to keep them from being successful.

We must have the Athletic Director, be a member of the Church in good 
          tanding, and hold him responsibility for hiring the very best coach in the 
          ation that will come to BYU and be our HC.  The new HC must sign a 
          ontract that states that he, the HC, will never, while working for BYU, 
         do or say anything in public that could bring shame or embarrassment 
         to the University or to the Church.

Pay top dollar for the positive name recognition, but have a big dollar 	      	
        penatlty attached if the HC brings any kind of shame or embarrassment 		
        to the University and/or Church. (Think before acting $$$$)

(7). Have a two step code for the team.
    Step1. Everyone must sign to abide by the NCAA rules and regulations
    and accept any sanctions or penalties handed down by the NCAA.
    Both LDS members and non members must agree to this.

Step 2 is the Honor Code.  Step 2 is optional for both members and non
                    members alike.  Step 2 is in addition to and not instead of step 1.

At the end of the season, but not during the season, those that 
           agreed to both step 1 and step 2 will have special recognition and
           reward for the extra effort.  

The reward will be great enough to at least deserve consideration 		       
            by all players as a realistic option. 

Without this options, no creditable, top notch coach, with the 
            name recognition that we need that could get us into a P5  
            conference and attract the P4-5 players we need, will put their 			
            reputation at risk by losing players un-necessary to rules that 			
            other universities do not have to follow.

If we are to succeed, we must learn that compromise is a two way 			
             street with give and take.  If we are not willing to compromise, than 
             we might as well quit sports.

2. I like the part of being smart, scrappy and innovative. If we are playing ranked t
    teams, I like being the underdog and would proudly wear that badge of honor.
    I do not want that badge for playing unranked teams that are not P5 teams. No.

I do see where you are coming from. If looking at the las Vegas Line, and it says
    that the other team has to spot us 7 points, I would be much more eager to bet on
    us knowing that we start out with 7 points. On the other hand, if the other team
    was the underdog by 7 points, I would be much more reluctant to make the bet
    knowing that the other teams starts the game with 7 points already on the board.
    I do see your point in this situation. (But not in general) Still this is too generic.
    I want to hear specifics for BYU, on what needs to be done to get where we need
    to be.

—————————————————————————————————————
The only way we are going to get the four -five star athletes, in the abundance that
we need, and be accepted into a P5 conference, is if we have a $8+ million per year
name recognition coach that would be willing to coach at BYU. We must remove
the clause that the HC must be LDS, because we have no LDS coach that could get
this done.

A. I disagree that football is just a game. Football is big business with many millions
per year to be earned if one is not penny wise and pound foolish.

$1million dollar per year coach, may be able to get a bowl game for #$1,000 at 	
   the end of the season.

B. $8 Million dollar per year coach, may just as easily, be able to get you a $15
million dollar bowl at end of season

AA. One coach may get you a $10 Million TV contract.

BB. The other may get you a $25 million TV contract.

CC One coach may give you an average of 2.5 stars per athlete. (HIGH 1 W/4)
DD The other coach may get you an average of 3.75 stars per athlete. High 4/5

EE One coach can not get us in a P5 conference
FF The other can.

———————————————————————————————————

“ Mormons make up about 3% (?) of the US population and few are
black. “ Was this a Freudian Slip, or was it intentionally? Either
way, I do not want to be a part of this. Next—

“ We are a weird, white Mormon school in Provo UT. That's a hard
sell. Then on top of that, they can't drink or have sex? Oh and by
the way...dating will be tricky.”   Again, I do  not want to be a part
 of this discussion.

“ Bottom line, increasing BYU recruit ratings is unlikely. A P5 invite is a
longshot, Gaining respect is an area can work on.”

I spelled out changes with hiring coaches that could make Athlete ratings,
Team rankings, a P5 invite, and much more respect, very likely. If we do
no nothing, and keep doing the same things that cause us to fail, than yes,
I agree. It is unlikely that we will ever again be a signifiant team in a
significant conference with significant players. Stubbornness is costly.
We are rich in this area.

I would rather BYU not have sports than to lower the standards so low
as to finally find a conference that we can win in. The way we are now,
in 2017, we would be a seller dweller in most G5 conferences. I can not
accept being in a FCS conference. If we lose all pride, what do we have left?
How can we fall from being a P5 contender to being not good enough of G5
conference and have to drop to FCS. If we are not willing to make any
compromises, we don’t deserve to be in sports. Instead, we could be the
generation that allowed us to be QUITTERS.

You have very worthwhile suggestions that are valid and most of all doable. For me I find it refreshing to enjoy BYU athletics without the religious rhetoric that so many want to focus on. Forget everything about that is not football and concentrate on what BYU NEEDS TO DO TO GET BETTER. Everyone can contribute. BYU has unique problems in recruiting players, but they also have unique advantages. Although Ron would like great coaches, make me a list of the great football or basketball coaches that have temple recommends. The list may be pretty short. This is a distinct DISADVANTAGE. If Sitaki is going to last at BYU, he better surround himself with great assistants. The problem with seasons like this is losing the confidence of your players. The basketball team under Rose is continually starting to struggle more each year. Of the three Lone Peak players they staked their future-one remains. They are terribly short on their depth and they have lost the abilities of many talented players
That have left the program only to blossom in another one. I don’t agree with the posts that suggest BYU needs to recruit 4 and 5 star players. Not that I wouldn’t love to have them, but under the premises that they will never be able to consistently get those players to BUY. INSTEAD THEY HAVE TO BE INNOVATIVE with the talent they consistantly get like Navy or Boise State. We can wish for the most, but ultimately we have to work.with what we have. I don’t like firing anyone but sometimes its for the best of the program to make a change. I give Sitaki two more years to turn the program around. Finally the honor code-yeh I know-touchy subject. That BYU would have regulations stricter than what it takes to get a temple recommend is absurd and needs to be adjusted. It’s long over due!

Sundance,

I always enjoy reading your post. We seldom agree on all things per post, but most often, there are things that we do agree on in each post.

Your post to Clausewitz, stated, “ Ron would like great coaches, make me a list of the great football or basketball coaches that have temple recommends. “

If you will read my reply to Clausewitz, you will see that I agree that there are no LDS Coaches with the name recognition with respect that can get us into a P5 conferences and the quantity and quality of 4-5 star players we need in order to compete vs the teams in a P5 conference that each have many 4-5 star players on their teams. (Considering that we get the invite)

In that post, I made suggestions that could work if we are willing to make compromises. In the history of our country, most great achievements came as a result of a “Great Compromise” Failure comes when one is not able or willing to compromise.

Please read my reply to Clausewitz.

Thanks. Ron

For ease of following I will maintain the order. Wow ok, this is long, but you asked for a lot of specifics…and I do enjoy criticism.

1. Our players can. There is talent there and misdirection and deception inherently don’t require you have a hulk. Our coaches…yes and no. Anyone can learn a new system or way of doing things. Will they? I don’t know.

Now your question about specifics fascinates me. Keep in mind that I believe in creating a lot of ideas to find one good one. Which means I’m perfectly happy to be wrong here because I’m just thinking and throwing out my points. Critique this heavily if you want because there will be flaws.

Also, I’m not saying we roll the dice with risky strategies when we’re favored, but when we’re underdogs…roll away.

• Top of my list is Fourth down attempts in more situations. Especially if their offense has us outclassed, then possession > Position.
  • Onside kicks at a higher frequency…also practice them a lot more. I’m told the kickers waste quite a bit of time in practice…
  • Spread the field out more and focus on longer downfield passes (remains to be seen if we can do this, it may require some creativity) But it puts the defense in a tough spot because one missed tackle means a touch down instead of an extra few yards. We do have the players to do it.
  • Defense needs to gamble for takeaways. A good offense will march down the field and score on us. I would rather my DBs took risks to jump passing lanes here and there even if that meant getting beat as well. They can either score in 3 plays or in 10 plays. It’s still 7 points, but if I can take the ball away, then I have something I can work with. This also extends to the run game. Give up a few yards and hold the runner up and go for the ball. Second guy to the tackle needs to aim for the ball. This means we will give up extra yards. But again, possession > position if their offense is good. Also, the best way to create turnovers is to hit the QB repeatedly. This requires speed up front and we don’t have that outside Taki taki and maybe pili. Got to find ways to hit him, even if it’s just a QB Knock down. Give him a sense of danger. Then let the DBs pick him off when he rushes a throw. Case in point Critchlow at UNLV vs UMASS. No pressure, second coming of Max Hall; pressure, “hello darkness my old friend…”
  • Pace could go either way. I’m ambivalent on that point. Depends more on personnel. I like the idea of getting to the line without huddling but then shifting over and over again and have the QB talk at the line, sometimes without even changing the play, just trying to screw with the defense.
  • There are others. Go for 2. Attempt to block more punts instead of setting up returns. etc. The idea is we need something weird to happen.

2 The efficiency stuff is a cool area to research. For instance, despite the changes in football from spread, cover 2, 4-2-5 etc, Football really hasn’t undergone what you might call it’s moneyball revolution. The NFL is starting to ask those questions about it’s salary cap and reassessing what positions is it least important to be good at vs bad or good vs great and so on. Where to dump money for talent. College football, in the same way, hasn’t asked that question effectively yet but it’s completely different than the NFL. Keep in mind that I don’t have to data to analyze so my points here are hypothesis and uninformed but serve as useful guesses for BYU.

Efficiency at the college game certainly revolves around recruiting but it doesn’t stop there. The war as football tripe is old but on this point it’s very telling. War is really about logistics. Who can maintain supplly lines better? Who can move troops from A to B faster? In the same line, Football is really more about logistics of practice and recruiting than the on field ‘fighting.’ Four areas: Practice time and system efficiency, Depth efficiency (including injury prevention interchangeablity of pieces, and system mastery time and continuity), Recruiting efficiency, and lineup efficiency.

• Practice time and system efficiency: NCAA regulates how much time you can spend in practice. It’s kind of a puzzle to fit things in. One point here that stands out is how complex your offense and defense are and how much time do you have to put in on the technical aspects and making sure players are assignment sound? The more time you spend on the more complex of a system, the less time you can spend on improving individual players at a fundamental level. You can tell a guy to make a tackle but if you haven’t put in enough time to train him to do it right then he’ll miss the tackle even if he was where he was supposed to be. I need more data here.
  • This actually leads into depth efficiency. One of the two biggest problems a team like BYU faces is a lack of depth. But if practice is efficient you can get younger players ready sooner. There are other points like how do we better prevent injuries? Is there specific data tracking on player fatigue? The equipment already exists to track this. That’s easy. Analyzing the data isn’t. Another point that helps with depth efficiency is finding ways of making more players more interchangeable so we can respond to injury sub by putting in the best available player more often rather than the best available player at that specific position. This goes back to what kind of system you want to play and therefore what kinds of players you want to recruit. More on this later.
  • Recruiting efficiency is another tricky one. But I think part of it is establishing an identity and attracting certain player types to it. QB is one obviously, but what kind of QB? I lean towards mobile QB’s and having a lot of them because that’s more common and available. But I’m aware of the downfalls of that. Also, TE! I think we have a better chance of finding great TEs than great WRs. BYU Can consistently recruit Big bodies for Nose tackle, but we struggle at recruiting Large and fast DEs. Therefore any system of defense which requires a player like that will underperform. So instead if we built our system around the idea of an undersized but faster DE, which is much more available to us, then we will be more successfull more consistantly. I also like the idea of over recruiting specific positions like QB, Safety, and OLB because I can move those guys around to other positions more often. The mystery to me is o line. I don’t know what to do with that because I lack the technical expertise there.
  • Line up efficiency is just what it sounds like in basketball. Who does well with who on the field? How do we pair people and formations? Especially in real time. Could this be analyzed in real time by a computer? It works with basketball…

3 innovation - I’m glad to agree here. Let’s be weird! 2 QBs? A right and a lefty? 4 TE passing sets? Run a bubble screen to trips formation with 3 TEs with a WR motioning in late. Lets imagine every possible way we can get a guard to score a touch down for no other reason than to force thought.

4 Pay assistants - again, glad to agree. Lets go get them and pay them well.

5 After reading your arguments, I’m going to retract and modify one of my points. You’re right we need to play 9 teams that are P5 or considered that way (Boise st or a top ranked G5 program). But I would try to average it out and spread it out by saying 3 top 25 P5 teams (wisconsin/ Miss st / LSU) 3 middle of the pack p5 teams or equivalent (Utah, Arizona, Boise st) and 3 poor p5 teams (Tenessee, colorado, kansas) The other 3 could be local G5 teams we want to build relationships with. Utah state, Wyoming, Air force. That way we could say we play a p5 schedule without murdering ourselves. Just need to space out the big 3 games as much as possible.

I see no reason we couldn’t increase the research profile of the university, especially with outside investment. The medical school thing is always lingering…

I doubt the coach thing. That’s a big number, no reason we can’t do it other than appearances and that seems to matter. Even if that money came from outside. Alternatively, I could see them going after young talent at smaller schools…and then dropping a massive extension deal on them to keep them. I’m hearing what you’re saying though and it is appealing.
Let’s see what happens with Kalani

6 Underdog identity - Agreed. I have no desire to ever be an underdog to UNLV again. So specifics: how do you market the team? This is the big one. We rest on our laurels too much. We think the BYU legacy and coaching tree and innovation from the 70’s and 80’s makes us a big deal. It drives me crazy. So when we sell tickets, it’s about BIG BYU. We overhype EVERYTHING. We’re way too optimistic. all the time. (well not now, but you know what I mean). Instead, consistently undersell and over deliver. Do that several years in a row and that makes people feel a certain way about the team. This also goes to what style you play and how players perform. You have to do your job. Every time, no exception. It’s one thing to get beat by athleticism. It’s another to make a mistake or use bad technique etc. Those mistakes must be caught immediately and corrected loudly. And reward players for big plays. The turnover chain at miami is brilliant. (That doesn’t mean we should copy it, please dont, but that general idea is good). Also, random trick plays in the middle of the game on a second down so to speak. Catch people off guard. Make LSU look stupid, get on sportscenter for being smart. Also, never hire system coaches, but do hire more statisticians, game theorists/economists, your consultants.

On recruiting:

I’m skeptical on the voluntary HC. I see the idea as creative, but I’m not there yet. Students are seen as reps of the church and athletes especially. Maybe that’s a horrible way to look at it but that’s the way it’s perceived. But I’m open to more on this line of thinking. I’m open to compromising anything but the good name of the church and the doctrine, emphasis on the doctrine.

Removing the LDS requirement for HC is a huge ask. I’m not opposed to it, but again, the program is seen as an ambassador of the church itself. There are dozens of non LDS coaches with the integrity necessary I believe. But that’s a major risk asking someone to represent the church at that high of a leadership position without being a member. But again, I don’t think they would drop the check initiailly anyways. I do see it possible to get an extension.

I accept your point on the business of football. Investment is wise. Just think it’s more likely they’ll buy low on a new name with some ingenuity and gumption and then pay him in extensions.

I don’t know what you mean with population/mormon/black thing? I see this as straightforward. We have an advantage recruiting members and a disadvantage recruiting non members, most members of the church are white in the US. 4 and 5 star athletes, especially at key important positions trend black. I’m with Brian Logan on this, being black and non member makes you a double minority at BYU. He also says WE NEED MORE BLACK PLAYERS. I agree. But that’s a hard sell. In other words, it’s hard to ask a lot of 5 star athletes who happen to be black and non member to come to a place where they are a double minority and may not feel at home just for that simple reason. The more prominent Black non member athletes the better. Jamal was a great leader for this. QB especially…just for the reason of being the leader and showing it’s ok and safe.

I think changes and patience are necessary. Hard to see how this will shake out. Hope is a good thing…

Yes…undersell, overdeliver. We agree on a lot.

Don’t come at us every year trying to sell tickets to the second coming of steve young.

There are models for this and we have to stop thinking of ourselves as a big deal and embrace the underdog.