Cougar fans sometimes disagree on the process to achieve the same goal

You are forgetting that it’s not only about each individual. It’s also about the projection of BYU to the world. To people on the outside looking in, they judge by what they see and what they hear coming out of our mouths. Do they see the Lord in our countenance? Do they hear us speak without hypocrisy in the words we choose? Or, do we appear just like the rest of the world, worldly?

I’m wondering why you think Jesus had facial hair?

Also, why does BYU have to conform to others like the NCAA? Remember, BYU chooses to insert our football team into the NCAA. Not the other way around. Do you really want the NCAA controlling BYU and the Brethren?

1 Like

No worries, Ron, and no offense taken!

Please don’t give it a second thought.

And thank you for not being afraid to express your views here. I think we all appreciate it, even if we don’t agree on everything. If we did, then discussion would be pretty boring . . .

I think a lot of Detmer’s problem this year was that we played “straight up” with our personnel — our skill against their skill. We continued to do things we wanted to do even when it wasn’t working at all and we were outmatched. We needed (and need) to be more gimmicky than that, given how we match up with these bigger, better teams. That is how we made our mark, and it’s what makes it possible for the “little guys” to play with the “big guys.” It’s also part of the excitement of being a BYU fan playing against programs we have no business being on the same field with. While we probably will lose, it’s exciting when there’s a chance we could push all the right buttons and get an upset. In the “golden age,” we lost more often than not to big teams, but we sometimes competed well and even upset them. We always had a chance, until recently.

Nothing exemplifies this more than the attempts to run up the gut with Canada and Dye. Definition of insanity, and it’s not going to work against LSU, Wisconsin, Mississippi St., Utah, etc. But, we stayed the course and kept trying it, like we were trying to “establish the run” with Canada and Dye.

It’s easy to armchair quarterback, but when it became clear to everyone that someone had changed with Mangum and he became a Jake Heaps who only wanted to look for very short passes and never throw downfield — that was the time to make a change, instead of trying to compete in games with no running game and throwing short passes that are easy to contain.

1 Like

[poll type=regular]

Thanks Rubion. Floyd was right. You are more like us than you are different from our approqch. I look for many open minded debates where we may agree and disagree and accept the differencers as a valid opimion.

Ron

Dilly dilly

Say What???

Means I agree 100% in beer language

I am allergic to beer… :open_mouth:

from a bud light commercial…

The bud frogs are still my favorite half time commercial…

They were good

Which one the half time show or UCF?

So, has Grimes names his coaches yet? Is Detmer still there? Maybe he’s the new AD? :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’ve been debating with basketball fans :innocent:

According to the Deseret News…
Aaron Roderick, Fesi Sitake, and Ryan Pugh are the new coaches at BYU, the only hold over is Steve Clark.

Roderick, Sitake were both in the running for the OC position…

Is Detmer still at BYU it has he moved back to Texas?

Detmer will be paid by BYU until July…

the article I read said he is “pondering his options”, but it appears that he will probably work within the AD office in some function, if he chooses to stay at BYU.

Right now he is out hunting “Bambi” with an ex-BYU player he is friends with.

But he will NOT be coaching.

Whose the QB coach?

I believe the DNEWS said it will be Aaron Roderick…

grasshopper,

I woulds like to see us learn how to conform to simple basic rules that all teams must follow without the constant need to set ourselves apart as being better or more correct than everybody else. It smacks of arrogance when we keep talking about our higher standards, as though we are the only ones with values that are worth while. If we were not so hard to deal with, than may be more conferences would like to have us join them.

I think the majority of us that always talk about how much better we are than everyone else, probably did not spend enough time in the sand box during kindergarden, or perhaps, we missed going to kindergarden all together. Several years back someone wrote a book called, “All I need to know, I learned in Kidergarden” Some of us, especially those that think they have all the right answers, and anyone that disagrees with them are wrong, probably never went to kindergarden.