Cougar fans sometimes disagree on the process to achieve the same goal

Awe yes,

They draw close to me with their words, but their hearts are far from me.

Awe yes again. Those that pray in public shall be praised by the public they pray in front of. Those that pray in the closet shall be blessed by me. Shall we go on???

I have no need to tell a person that I am better than they are. I have no need to tell a person that I have greater wisdom than they do. I have no need to feel superior over anyone. Maybe I am in the wrong classroom.

Clauswitz,

Sadly, I agree with much of what you said above, i.e " [quote=“Clausewitz, post:40, topic:7705”]
An offer from BYU is more enticing to a 2 star than a 5 star mathematically.

[/quote] An offer from BYU is more enticing to a 2 star than a 5 star mathematically. [quote=“Clausewitz, post:40, topic:7705”]

5-star kids have the best chance to go pro and the most incentive to pick coaches and programs trusted to help them do so. Alabama, etc.

-5-star kids want to play with other 5 stars to give them the best chance to win big, so they join up at specific big name schools.

[/quote] 5-star kids have the best chance to go pro and the most incentive to pick coaches and programs trusted to help them do so. Alabama, etc.

-5-star kids want to play with other 5 stars to give them the best chance to win big, so they join up at specific big name schools.

All that you say above is Natural. I just wish we could be a part of that elite class which we are not.

I would rather not use some of the things you mentioned i;e;

[quote=“Clausewitz, post:40, topic:7705”]

-5-star kids don’t always believe as we do and find the restrictions of an honor code stifling.

The same can be said about no star, 1,2,3,or 4 star players. Why do we single out the 5 star player as the one
that may not want us for the reasons you state regarding the Honor Code. The real reason, without using the Honor
Code as an excuse are exactly all the reasons you stated above the Honor Code mention.[quote=“Clausewitz, post:40, topic:7705”]

Clauswitze, while I do not agree with all of your posting, those things that I do agree with, I like veyr much the way you present those ideas.

My FRUSTRATIONS include the following:

I believe very strongly that a student is limited mostly by the expectations put upon him. (Boise State Model instead of the Alabama model) I believe that a students ability to learn has a direct correlation to the teacher’s ability to teach. (WE go after the FCS Coaches instead of the Sabens, the Petersons, the Myers, the Carrols, the best coaches of the best Universities that produce the best teams. We keep insisting that we can make sweet orange juice out of very nice lemons.

We can’t.

Regardless of how they do it, I’m all for picking off and paying for high level coaching talent. It’s a smart business decision and the Church does an excellent job running their other businesses. Why not this one? It’s visible.

Uggg…better than others? You mean keeping the commandments, all of them? Or just some of them? Should we have rules for non- athletes and different ones for athletes because athletes can’t control their minds and bodies. Having standards isn’t putting yourself above another. It’s not fearing man more than God that you seem to have a problem with.

How is having standards telling people you are better? Should we just let anyone go on missions? Should there be no standard with missions so we aren’t telling people we are better? Should there be no standards for going to the Temple so we don’t offend anyone by making it seem we are better? BYU is an LDS Church run and owned school.

I don’t know grasshopper. When you figure it out, let me know. You seem to be the expert in being better than everyone else outside the fold. I am not smart enough to answer your questions.

1 Like

maybe these two comments by Elder Rasband can help you under what I think Ronald is talking about:

“The Savior’s mortal ministry was indeed characterized by love, compassion, and empathy. He did not disdainfully walk the dusty roads of Galilee and Judea, flinching at the sight of sinners. He did not dodge them in abject horror. No, He ate with them.12 He helped and blessed, lifted and edified, and replaced fear and despair with hope and joy. Like the true shepherd He is, He seeks us and finds us to offer relief and hope.13 Understanding His compassion and love helps us exercise faith in Him—to repent and be healed.”

"The human tendency to be self-righteous and judgmental was also present in Alma’s day. As the people “began to establish the church more fully … the church began to wax proud, … the people of the church began to be lifted up in the pride of their eyes, … they began to be scornful, one towards another, and they began to persecute those that did not believe according to their own will and pleasure.”

It is not about living and keeping gospel standards in our personal lives, it more about how we act with those not of our faith.

not sure were Ron lives, but maybe he lives in an area where BYU fans and members act towards others.

just look at what Jim has said about Utah Mormons. I live in an area where I have members tell their kids to not play with non lds kids.

just a thought.

1 Like

think about it Scott… like I said living standards, is not the issue, it is how we treat others being members of the church.

Ron, one thought,
when Bronco was here, he was very vocal about only recruiting those that wants to be at BYU. INfact they had to convince Bronco to offer a scholarship.

the past two years of Kalani, he has mostly had to deal with those recruits. Kalani is not that way, so he will need time to turn it around.

look last year, the kid who was a running back, who came from east high in Salt Lake City was I believe a 4star recruit who first committed to Wisconsin,then BYU.

So there is hope…

Being a HC at BYU has got to be infuriating on the recruiting end. 2 years to develop relationships with the good recruits and sign them because you’re not going to swoop in and steal top players going to P5 schools. You have to put in the time and be the first in line. another 2 years to get them back from missions. and then a year or two for them to become impact players. You could go 5 years before they have a full set of ‘their guys.’ I don’t envy them.

I think next year is the first time he’ll start to have a good chunk of the players they recruited.

If you are going to play at BYU living the standards of the Church is important. And talking about it doesn’t make anyone self-righteous any more than taking a stand on gay marriage make you homophobic. Or wanting legal immigration makes you racist. If we try to talk about keeping commandments we are branded racist, homophobe… it’s all nonsense. I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I can be charitable and stand up for God’s commandments. Can you? Can Ron?
I heard an atheist say that in 5 years, Christians will be all in with gay marriage. Progressivism is a disease that slowly weakens society and changes people’s beliefs on whether God is important anymore. They Eiffel slowly away the beliefs we have a creator God who sets moral standards through the power of our brain. It’s working. We have people now being Christlike but not defending Christ nor his kingdom on earth. We have to be able to do both. Ron would rather drop the standards thinking Satan won’t destroy BYU.

The honor code at BYU is all about the standards. College is different than the real world. You have a controlled environment with rules that allow students to learn and experience life with help before thrown out into the real world. Where life has its standards. The population has their standards.

Actually Scott, It is “HOW” you are talking about it that can make you self Righteous or of Homophobic.
Again… you missed my WHOLE POINT about the “HOW” we talk about things is the problem.

If you don’t believe me Scott… go look at https://mormonandgay.lds.org and look at “HOW” the Brethren are talking about the subject… a bit different than the way you are approaching it.

They are stating their position without being critical, self righteous or condemning… Food for thought.

I think Bronco had issues with Star Athletes. Personally I think it had something to do with his struggles to play college ball where star athletes got preferential treatment and he had to earn everything he got.

To be honest, Lavell never recruited highly touted athletes at the beginning, it was the 1,2 or 3 star athletes he got, then he created a scheme that maximized their talents (he had really good assistants to do this). as time went along, he started getting better and better players.

One thing I also think really hurt BYU was when they disallowed players playing JV games (Not counting against their eligibility). While QB’s (Wilson, McMahon, and I think Young) was waiting to start, he would play in the JV game the day before to learn the offense. they did this for two years before ever starting. We also had a good farm system at Ricks until that closed down.

Sane words from a sane man. BYU will get better. Grimes did not come to torpedo his career. He came because he knows of our importance in the football world, our connections to ESPN, the tremendous support from the community and the commitment of the church towards athletics. Grimes is here to do an Urban Meyer. Get BYU up and winning and move to a HC job in the P5 somewhere.

Well, maybe we need to be more direct so people know where the boundaries lie. So, people don’t slip off the straight and narrow path into the filthy river or get lost in the mist. Sometime the how you say it isn’t clear enough if you skirt around the issue. Note how Ron continues to question the Brethren about BYU standards. He wants them relaxed. Just wonder what he wants relaxed?

GR: That’s right, they got some college experience before stepping into the upper levels of college sports. Basketball had that too for freshman until Coach Wooden broke the rule and started Marques Johnson as a freshman. That was the changer in college sports.

Scott, that is how you interpreted what Ron is saying, not necessarily WHAT he is saying…

So are you telling me by this comment “Well, maybe we need to be more direct so people know where the boundaries lie.” that when the Brethren in our last conference told us to be more kind and understanding for those who do not live our standards, that they are WRONG?

Scott, have you ever heard the phrase “It is better to catch the bee with honey, than vinegar”? Think about it.

You can be kind while being direct. Being truthful is more important. But that isn’t the point here. If the Brethren didn’t want an Honor Code and thought it was wrong to have one then they would instruct BYU to get rid of it. But, they haven’t.
Do you think it’s okay to have sexually active kids running around BYU tempting one another? Do you like it when sexually active teens are tempting others around public high schools? Set the standard. Be a beacon on the hill. You can do it and still treat people who have sinned with love and respect.
When I first started teaching at a private catholic school, the principal was Brother Thomas. Someone cracked a Polack joke, Brother Tom didn’t crack oven a smile. He refused to laugh at jokes about other people and let you know. But, he was still Christlike when it came to kids and adults who sinned. We had a member going to the school who had alcohol issues. The student ended up somewhere in LA and he found out. He went to LA to get him and brought him back. Look, The Lord showed love towards sinners but he let them also know what was sin and not to do it. “Go and sin no more.”

really grasshopper??? what planet did you drop from?