Taysom's BYU career over

It turns out that Mangum didn’t waste his red-shirt earlier this year for nothing. Not only did he come in for the injured Hill during the 4th qtr of the USU game but he will finish the season playing in the Poinsettia Bowl. Taysom had a rough senior year but he will still be remembered as perhaps the best athlete to ever play qb for BYU, Now the spotlight turns on Mangum. Apparently, he is having a hard time grasping the Detmer pro-style offense. Regardless, the Mangum era has now resumed and hopefully he can make great strides the next three weeks that will provide a solid launching point for his efforts next year.

Four season ending injuries and three of them in USU games.

If it’s only a strain why won’t he be able to play? Did they say?`

Apparently it’s a severe strain. I don’t know the particulars but he won’t get clearance before game time.

I sure wish we would have had Taysom the Sophomore for 4 complete years. The way he played against Texas was sweet. But we have to have bitter so we know the sweet when we have it.

I will miss his ability.

It doesn’t seem to matter which coaching staff is at BYU, they just seem to have a penchant for mismanaging personnel.

I just hope we get the right QB behind center one of these years and it pays dividends in the form of something more than an average season and mediocre bowl game.

Glenn: What can you expect from Tanner Mangum? The poor guy sat on the bench most of the year, took 2nd reps in practice, ruined his red shirt year when Coach K put him in the Michigan State game to do victory huddles and he got to play in the last parts of the last four post P-5 season. All Tanner did was save the 2015 season for BYU last year and was relegated to the second fiddle to watch an ailing Taysom Hill, who had lost his speed and what throwing ability that he ever had by 2016.Taysom is a great guy and a heck of a competitor but to me Tanner deserved to be the starter this year. And what about the 3rd QB? He got a zero chance to play.

Careful Bruce… it isn’t popular to tell it like it is.

The emperor’s clothes look just fine. :grin:

1 Like

Tanner informed the coaching staff that he would not redshirt no matter what… He believed he should be the starter and knows that clock is ticking on his age and NFL opportunity.

Hill was a warrior, a once in a generational player who sacrificed his body for BYU. Thank you for all you have done and for helping our new coaches through at very tough year with your experience.

I am salivating at the thought of a Tanner QB coupled with a Williams running game…no longer can defenses load the box with 9 players. We will see what happens when our much maligned receivers catch balls in stride rather than balls coming too hot, too high or behind them.

1 Like

I completely agree with you on Taysom and the receivers. They never knew where the ball would land. It will be a remarkable and magical upgrade, over night on the receiving corps. Taysom did a lot a very good things for BYU. He will go down as the best over all athlete in program history.

I recall Jordan Pendleton was a guy like Taysom–a preturnaturally gifted athlete, possessed of extreme size, speed and agility, who just laid it all out there on EVERY play, with similarly disappointing repeated injuries. Other guys play hard every play and never get hurt. Hard to explain. It is telling that Taysom’s four season ending injuries were all on QB runs.

I’m very optimistic about Mangum. He has an NFL arm and will play in an NFL style offense for the next two years. And last year he already showed that he is every bit the competitor, the leader, the great all around guy, and the beloved teammate that Taysom has been. I dreamt of a bowl game rematch with BSU but with Tanner under center…hey, a guy can dream…then I woke up and we were playing an 8-5 Wyoming team that no one cares about…

1 Like

It is as if Taysoms skeletal structure is just not matched with his muscle structure. It is too bad. I believe that, from a quarterbacking standpoint, Tanner will quickly show us what a passing QB can do in a Detmer offense. The guard were in a very tight spot with the politics of the situation at the beginning of the year. Although none of them will probably admit it, none of them expected Taysom to stay healthy as long as he did.

Tanner had increased his shoes and mobility by leaps and bounds from last year. The coaches have to be a little nervous if Tanner had a great bowl game… The i told you so’s will be out in force. Hopefully fans will just let it go… If it does happen.

we will be playing a SDSU or Wy that allow 50 points in their last games. BYU will have no problem scoring on these guys. Tanner should have a record day…as well Williams

Yes, as long as the defense creates turnovers and opportunities for the offense.

Don’t forget that this offense had multiple opportunities throughout the season because of the defense. Opponents had so many turnovers they could have opened a small bakery…

Utah State had a -6 yards rushing in the second half. under 200 yards for the entire game. BYU’s defense is the entire reason we are sitting on a 8-4 record. BYU ranks #1 in D1 takeaways.

Most of our takeaways have been against top 25 talent, BSU 5-Utah 6, not these MW bottom dwellers so I’m fairly sure BYU would handle any MW team.

My mind goes back to that stupid fake punt at BSU and how our defense turned that into a score for Hill’s offense. BYU should have lost that game by 21 points but we didn’t because of our steller D. The MSU game…our D scored my points than our offense, that never happens.

At the beginning of the year, I was most concerned about the defense. I didn’t know anything about Tuiaki and I was nervous that Sitaki was going to let Tuiaki make the calls on defense. Who would have guessed that the defense would be bailing out the offense all season long? Credit Tuiaki for a job well done. The defensive line has been decimated by injuries and still, the defense has shined.

Tanner has had a great attitude during this season but there have been hints that he has struggled in private with being relegated to a backup role. The wait is over and the Mangum era has begun. I don’t know what to think of the report that Tanner is struggling with learning the Detmer offense. What I do know is that Tanner has great football instincts. When a play breaks down, Tanner lets his instincts take over and good things usually happen. The other encouraging report from Fall camp was that Tanner typically had the fewest interceptions of any of the QBs. He may have to shake off some rust but I look forward to seeing what he can do in San Diego.

But he’s right. Hill played for BYU. It sounds like Mangum is in it for himself.

[/quote]te=“Glenn, post:17, topic:7137”]
Tanner has had a great attitude during this season but there have been hints that he has struggled in private with being relegated to a backup role.
[/quote]

Would you 'struggle" in private if you saw how lousy our passing game has been.

There is no report of Tanner struggling with Detmer’s offense other than us wannabees. No professional media has whispered a word in any article. All just made up stuff. As it is, our offense was so dumbed down for Hill’s benefit, how could anyone struggle with it?

[quo[quote=“Glenn, post:17, topic:7137”]
What I do know is that Tanner has great football instincts. When a play breaks down, Tanner lets his instincts take over and good things usually happen :yum:

Are you kidding?

Man, you come up with some real zingers sometimes.

Hill was a great athlete but he never really learned how to get past a basic high school offense. His athleticism carried him a long way.

He was a great intramural quarterback who made it in college because he was a superfreak athletically.

1 Like