QB competing for starting position

Well BYU is going to suck again this year, WHY, you ask? because the two competing QB’s for BYU this year is from Idaho and Utah… and according to some posters on here, Utah and Idaho players are not as good as those in California.

Which I find interesting because USC, Stanford, Cal and UCLA all heavily recruit Utah football players…

Sorry, just having some fun before the season.

Actually Idaho produces good football players, and Utah does too. I think that axiom was mostly directed at basketball, but who can read minds. I know when high school teams from Boise played equivalent schools from SLC they usually kicked their proverbial tails. One of the reasons BSU has been so successful , plus their California connections

Yes it was mostly directed at the basketball team and their lazy recruiting of the state of Udaho…

However, I remember a few years ago the East high school football team came out and played Corona centennial and they were talking it up like East was going to take them down because Utah high school football was really good and this was their showcase team.

I think the final score was 47 - 13 for Corona so that didn’t go as well as the Utah high school football experts had hoped.

I acknowledge that there are some really good players coming out of Udaho but let’s be honest, the sheer volume of players out here makes it easy to recognize that there are more and better players in California.

Even Floyd can figure that out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would venture to say that California and Texas are the hot recruiting states west of the Mississippi

We had the great joy and pleasure of watching Jamal WIlliams play football at BYU and now he is reaping the rewards of his commitment and dedication.

Not sure how BYU got him, he was a so-cal boy.

They know who the starter is. Coaches are just not sayin…

Interesting notes: Critchlow makes few mistakes. Very solid.

Wilson has been flying to Ca to work with John Beck. He already had the legs and the option abilities, now Beck says that he is like Atlanta’s Ryan. Reporters say that Wilson is pushing Tanner to be the starter.

Tanner should be the starter just on experience alone, is in the best shape of his life.

Coach Roderick says that any one of the three could be the starter. I have heard from sports reporters that it will be hard to keep the QBs happy, BYU has not had this kind of talent for quite some time. I will say this, Tanner is not going anywhere, neither is Wilson, the heir apparent. So I would hope that in the event that Tanner does not come through (mental)……that Critch gets a real shot, otherwise, if he is sitting while a rookie (Wilson) comes in to spell an ineffective Tanner, Critch would transfer.

Go talk to Stanford, USC and UCLA who all come to Utah to recruit Utah kids…

Yea I remember East getting kicked, but that was one game… East stunned De La Salle 23-21(2016) as well . Then there is Bingham which has beaten several Cali schools over the years.

The point is both Utah and BYU need to maintain their “Home” recruits and not lose them to school of the PAC12 and even schools like Alabama…

That was what I have tried to express.

Jaren Hall’s name has been thrown about. They say he is competing with Critch for the #3 spot.

I will say this about Critchlow. I don’t think he is a good “practice” QB and BYU is going to lose him if he is as talented as sportswriters say he is.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=joe+critchlow+video&view=detail&mid=67F10F7E24B10C0A657367F10F7E24B10C0A6573&FORM=VIRE

This is the 1st time I’ve looked at a video of Critch….you be the judge. Some questions come to mind: Great arm, good field vision. Slow! and that may be the reason why he has been knocked down to #3 and possibly passed by Hall. Last question…how do you get a bunch of slow white guys in Tenn?

I haven’t seen anyone except Critch and Tanner. Both good guys but the thing that sets apart average coaches from great coaches is the ability to see athletes who can perform under pressure. Every team has good … and sometimes great practice players who enter the game and can’t fumction at a high level. I am willing to go on record that Tanner is one of those athletes. Don’t know Wilson … but Critch is a better in game QB than Tanner. That is one frantastic thing about competition from opponents in the game… it shows what you have or don’t have. My bet is that we look back on Tanner starting the season and wish he would have been a back up.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s better to have Tanner get beat up against the brutal early opponents than to have Wilson be scarred for life. Or injured.

I would love to be proven wrong and have Tanner throw for 400+ yards against these opponents, but I just don’t have the faith after last year. Heck, it was a rarity even in his “good” season. I also don’t expect Wilson, a true freshman, to do well at Arizona, at Wisconsin, at Washington, at Boise St., at Utah.

I’m starting to wonder if we will ever consistently pass for 400+ yards again. Or even 300.

I have a different viewpoint about Tanner… Everyone jumps on the bandwagon about blaming Tanner for last year’s debacle. I don’t, I blame Ty Detmer and his offensive coaches for creating an environment where the players were afraid of trying to do something better than what was called.

I have listened to some of the players this year, talk about the environment last year and how much different the environment Grimes is creating.

If you listen closely, there was not a good vibe in the offense last year. I am now starting to believe that is the real reason Ty and most of the coaches were let go. Had nothing to do with Wins/Losses but rather the environment that was on the offensive side of the ball.

This year, the offensive scheme is more suitable for Tanner and his skill set. I think some of you are going to be eating crow by the end of the season… Just my viewpoint, not saying it is correct, but I have heard too many players talk about the environment from last year and not in glowing terms either.

Believe me, I hope I eat tons of crow! I hope Tanner does well. I’m just not optimistic. :wink:

I don’t think it was all Ty’s fault, either. Mangum could have rolled out when the pocket collapsed, like he clearly preferred to do. He didn’t have to sit there and get pummeled, or just dump it off for a two yard attempt every single time. It was Tanner’s morphing into Jake Heaps that I really didn’t like. No matter how bad Detmer’s leadership or play calling was, there are things that were solely on Tanner.

Which is not to say that our O line and receiver play wasn’t atrocious, or that our complete lack of a credible running game wasn’t a factor as well.

Unless there was clear direction of what would happen if the player deviated from the game plan. I know I have at least one person talk about how players were held accountable for following the plan, even if the plan was a bad one.

That’s possible. If he was told to stay in the pocket and take a sack, that’s one thing. The Jake Heaps dump passes are on him, though. That’s what worries me. I’m afraid he’s shell-shocked beyond repair, like Jake Heaps became. A lot of that has to do with bad protection from the line.

We’ll just have to see how we do. We don’t have Portland St. this year to play live against someone else. I just want us to be in ball games this year and look competitive. I can even handle a losing season again if we look competitive doing it.

My dad talked to a prominent Cougar Club member (one who has flown my dad up to games in his plane — my dad was his bishop), and this man wants us to go 0-12 this year so that Sitake will get fired. I’m not that extreme, but it was interesting to hear of that sort of sentiment among some boosters who are heard because of their financial donations. Like I said, if we look much better than last year, I’m not for firing anybody. It was how awful we looked in losing that cost Detmer his job.

I agree that Mangum looked bad last year. He was slow a foot and slow to get rid of the ball. He made poor reads and poor decisions. This year he is 20 pounds lighter, in shape and in a battle for his football future. He is evidently way better than Critchlow, which he wasn’t last year. I would like to see him finish out his career at BYU on a positive note and see Wilson ready to lead for the next 3 years. If Tanner starts slow, though, turn over the reigns to Wilson and try to finish the season strong. Predicting a 500 season or better

Everyone keeps saying that he’s lost 20 pounds, so he will be faster. You’re either slow of foot, or you’re not; 20 pounds isn’t going to make that big of a difference. Some lineman can really move, too!

[quote=“Sundance, post:15, topic:8023”]
He is evidently way better than Critchlow, which he wasn’t last year.[/quote]

I don’t think we can really read anything into the demotions/narrowing of the QB race. There are a number of factors and reasons possible, many of which have nothing to do with straight-up on-field performance. One of those is (hypothetically): Wilson wins the job by far — not even close —, but Mangum is a senior with playing experience and Wilson is a true freshman with no college experience. There could also be politics in play as far as Critchlow; we have no idea.

Just ask Merrill Hoge . . . :slightly_smiling_face:

From what I heard, he actually lost the weight, but built up muscle mass (thus, Kalani talking about Tanner Six Pac on his stomach). I am little confused about last year, I have heard that the offensive players were asked to put on my weight. But I have to ask why? from looking at the performance last year, not sure that was a good idea.

As for foot speed, not sure if that changed…

I guess it’s like every other time-we can only guess. I’m hoping BYU is beyond politics at this point and Critchlow himself has admitted he has been a little off. As far as speed goes, losing 20 lbs and being in great condition will help you be not as quite as slow and that’s true for most anyone😉

We are talking Grimes here…coming from LSU, which has been all about ball control and run heavy, I really doubt that we will be seeing many if any 400 yd games. IF BYU can run the ball behind this line, we will see very competitive games in Provo. If we can’t, BYU is screwed.

But in short, I don’t think BYU is going to the the QB factory for the time being.

Squally Canada? Beau Hoge? Tre Dye?

What Grimes had to work with, running game-wise, at LSU is very different from what he has to work with here. If we are run heavy, with 90-120 yard passing games, then heaven help us.