KVN in Super Bowl Win

I’m so happy for KVN! I have met him a couple times; he is pretty cocky, but in a laid back, friendly, joking way. BYU owes a lot to him (he could have bailed and gone anywhere when Bronco kicked him off the team for a semester before his freshman year), but he also owes a lot to BYU. He was a big fish in a small pond and it highlighted how great he is. Sometimes it is frustrating to read sports “journalists” “analyze” games…Kyle played a very, very good game in the Super Bowl. He was burned in overpursuit twice on running plays on ATL’s first TD drive (along with all his teammates on both plays); but his primary role was to play middle zone on pass downs, responsible for the TE #81 and the back coming out of the backfield. His pass D was AWESOME!!! He was right where he needed to be on almost every single play. Once he even blanketed Julio on a middle deep seam route and forced the pass to go outside. His play eliminated the short middle pass and forced the offense to make more difficult plays down the sidelines (In fact, when they DID have KVN out on a passing down in favor of a nickel back, Ryan recognized it and burned the little guy for a TD pass to #81). The result was several third and longs and ATL finishing 1-8 on third downs (NE 7-14 on 3rd vs ATL 1-8 on 3rd was the Stat of the Game for me). Here is what the genius DN Brandon Judd had to say about KVN’s play:
“Van Noy made his only impact in the game at the end of the third quarter, splitting a sack of Atlanta’s Matt Ryan with Trey Flowers for a 9-yard loss on a third-and-11 play.” Talk about an oversimplification! He must think his readers know nothing at all about football. Great job by KVN, and a total copout by Brandon Judd.

Van Noy sack, Game changer along with Brady getting over being rattled in the 1st half. Atlanta’s D at not allowing any rushing in the 1st half to go along with their smothering pass rush just had Brady out of sorts passing. Receivers were just dropping balls as well.

I know I thought the game was over by half time but NE’s line held and Brady came out slinging, once that happened, the running game opened up along with receivers catching some obscene balls made this the greatest comeback in SB history.

Hey, Kyle…you are a Super Bowl Champ, and that lasts forever. Thank your lucky stars that you got traded to a team that understands players specific talents and how to maximize them.

I second everything said! Thanks tlarimer for the breakdown on KVN’s contribution. I taped the game and had to fast forward through much of it because my wife wanted to watch something non-sports with me. :confounded: I appreciated your effort to watch KVN from a position coach’s point of view. This was a game for the ages and KVN was a part of it all! Congrats to him and his family.

Dang Dude–time to get another TV or a new wife! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

My wife Tracy is the wife of a head football coach and mother of a 25 year old who started played football before he could walk, played in college, and is now a paid offensive coordinator at our school. She really doesn’t like watching and pretends she doesn’t know the first thing about football. She was in the family room the whole time as I watched the game. When the Pats converted the game-tying two point conversion, Tracy calmly looked up from her book and said, “The ball broke the plane; it’s obvious. The conversion is good.” And then went right back to her book. Earlier, when they showed the replay of the key holding call on the Falcons’ LT that put them out of FG reach, Tracy looks up and says, “Holding? You think? You mean the guy strangling the other guy? And the guy next to him is putting his hand right into Van Noy’s facemask–I don’t think you can do that either.” Then back to her book. The way she deadpanned it was somehow just hilarious.

1 Like

And he’s going to Disneyland!

The way you started the post I though for a moment she was a polygamist;-)

That’s hilarious! Someone could make a great Superbowl commercial based on that story. The Superbowl has a little something for everyone. There have been years where the commercials were the highlight of the whole event, especially for those who don’t like football. Then there’s the half-time show. I guess that’s geared more towards the teens. Janet Jackson gave “show” or should I say “shouldn’t show” a whole new meaning. Yesterday, I started watching the half-time show and called to my wife to come see the nice, pretty girl who was singing patriotic music. By the time my wife got into the room, the girl was flying around like Peter Pan and strewing pieces of wardrobe all over the stage and convulsing and contorting to no end. That led to the fast-forwarding and it just kept going. I’ll have to find out what Tracy was reading so I can enjoy more of the game.

She was reading David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. She reads intelligent stuff while I read smutty spy novels. Regarding the half time show, I too fast forwarded through it after the first song (which I also thought was great). I think Lady Gaga has a phenomenal voice but she is just too weird for me. I hardly ever watch NFL football before the playoffs-but I’ll watch more NFL football if BYU can start sending more guys to The League. Sitake may or may not win more games than Bronco, but I think he will turn out more NFL players. It was fun to watch KVN have such a good game and represent BYU so well!