Well, all I did here was give a solution to how to get back to the main boards. As far as the other board, I did complain a couple of years ago about the short comings of the other board. I was pretty much shouted down about that because I was told it was far superior to any other board. The other board had some pluses, but everybody looked over the minuses. So, let me go over your points.
1) Agreed. The frame approach used on the old board makes it easy to navigate between main topics, and ability to switch between topics easily. Unfortunately, this frame approach isn't supported much anymore. They used properitary software to develop the old board that doesn't have any current support. They can't maintain it anymore. You'll never get the frame view again. They did modify the main discussion forum page to help with that. I believe it to be an improvement.
2) Agreed. They still need to work on that. The suggestion I made is a hokey solution, but it's all we got until they can do something else. They all thought (the maintainers) that we could all edit our usernames, but only a select few can.
3) Yes, but there where many limitations. On the old board, when an active conversation was happening, it would get pushed down the list because others posted something else. When the 'conversation' or thread spanned more than one page, that format started falling apart. When it got too far down the board, people would restart the conversation to keep it back on page 1. You don't have to do that here, and if they allowed a threading view here, that would help with being able to visually tell who you are responding too. But catch a clue here, if you reply to somebody on this board, your reply includes a reference to that person in the upper right hand corner of the reply. Plus, by default, you get an email that somebody replied to you. Also, if you press the quote cloud in the respond, it will post the persons comments within your response and it will look like this...
Yes i can because I got the email that you responded to me, and my icon is on your post
EDIT: Hmm, it seems that sometimes the icon disappears, not good.
4) Mostly, look back in my respond in #3, particularly the last couple of sentences.
5) Agreed, but go back to see what I said in #1
6) Completely disagree. The old site looked way too small, and I had to blow it up and move all around the page within my small view. This site is much easier to view content, but still needs some improvement.
On another note. There are some very powerful features on this board that I'm still trying to figure out. On another board I monitor with two others, we have some of these, but this one has more.