Christian PoPoola Jr not coming

Someone has said he was leaning to Gonzaga and then Boise State. Nope.

Funny how those Cougar Fans in DN comments were making fun on those little brothers up the hill. Yeah, those 2 guys we don’t like at the TUN. Maybe we should hope the Coach Kry and Chris Hill would cancel some more games on BYU.
Eric Mika please don’t sign the NBA yet unless you are for sure going to get the 1st round pick.
Maybe PoPoola doesn’t play defense like those two guys that we have of LP3. He only played for 1 year at LP and transfer to LV. Anyway, we can just forget about this kid and move on.

When a BB program is openly in disarray and players are seen as running the program and coaching allows them to do just that… Losing good recruits is something that will happen. Bottom line is that really good coaches are the corner Stone of any program. Super players can give a false sense of security.,… But eventually the water will seekl its own level. If I were a top recruit, there is no way I would enter the byu program right now, until it is on an upward trejectiry. Rose and Holmoe have to understand that.

You think the Utard program isn’t in disarray too? I think if a young man has a moral problem then he will choose Utard over BYU. Perhaps that is what we need to realize rather than continue to smear righteous coaches.

You have no idea if this kid has a moral problem or not! If you do then you really shouldn’t comment at all. Lastly, I didn’t make any comment about the righteous nature of coach Rose. Hosts of righteous people can’t coach basketball at a high level… The 2 factors have no relation to each other.! BYU is headed in the wrong direction in their basketball program until they prove otherwise on the court. Top recruits will be hesitant to join BYU for a number of reasons, but mostly because they want to play for a winner and get into the NCAA tourny.

1 Like

Top recruits have always stayed away.
No reason for this kid not to have come to BYU. None. Certainly not the coaches. What other reason would he not come to BYU? What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas…

Certainly is the coaches and team performance.

Let’s replace the coaches with Thawk and Hawk. They will run this team right
:wink:

Well at least you are admitting it isn’t run right!

now I am officially pissed. This should have never happened. Anywhere but Utah and coach Krystowhack.

Thus, we know his choice had nothing to do with bad programs and bad coaching. With BYU’s new training facilities it isn’t that either. It must only be one thing, the moral restrictions at BYU versus U of U. What else could it be for someone that would start and be a possible one and done?

I am just like you about why u and not other schools. At least Frank Jackson is in the right place and not u!!! I want to Puke!

Utah has been in the NCAA tourny once in the last 2 years. BYU hasn’t. If you were a pretty good guard coming out of HS would you think that the shot at playing time would be better at BYU or U? Without your blue Google’s on, the answer would be the U. Rose will allow a season to tank and refused to adjust the playing time of a few favored guards this year and if I were a recruit, I would have to think it would be a miracle to get in front of Emery or Haws. BYU will have a hard time getting any decent guard until Emery is a senior or until Haws leaves. Get used to losing recruits who are guards.

Some of you just don’t have a clue. The guard behind Haws, Emery and Bryant could not have helped one bit. If you put Guinn and Beo in to play 30 minutes a game we would have had a losing season. What a player like Papoo should see is that he would be able to walk on and start. With him and Bryant starting, Haws and Emery would have to work hard for the starting guard position. He knows with him BYU goes to the NCAA next year. Again, he chose Utah so he could have more fun…

Well we can take a vote on this board, how many think Haws or Emery would be supplanted by this Popoopla kid in the starting lineup? If he was that lucky he ought to play the powerball lottery! Other than you Hopper, I don’t think anyone on here thinks that he would take over a starting job from the LP2. So, he is at Utah where he will get playing time vs BYU.

Did you see the list of colleges that wanted him? He would start.

PoPoola was a LP one time. Sorry, now that both Emery and Haws were starters, so PoPoola would be the 6th man. Dave Rose will continue won’t play around looking for chemistry.

Hopper, I hope you would call me out for being judgmental if I accused Popoola for going to the U so he could party. Until he actually admits to it, why not give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Its disappointing to lose a talented kid that could help us but I figured something was going on when he backed out of his previous verbal commit. I don’t think the Bergersen kid is as talented as Popoola but I suspect Rose went hard after Bergersen because he knew he missed out on Popoola. My expectations for the basketball program are pretty low right now. If Rose manages to put out a good team come Fall, I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Why would he admit to wanting to fool around? I just made the observation that both schools have same coaching challenges and other problems. The only thing that is really different is the U if U’s honor code allows for immorality that the Church school doesn’t. Any other differences you can think of?
For those that want to use the “judgmental” argument, that is no difference than the “hate” argument by the liberals to shut down speech. See, I’m not judging him. It’s not my position to. But I can certainly report on it without judgment.

Who knows? Maybe you are right and he just wanted to party. But I can think of a lot of different reasons he may have changed his mind about coming to BYU. Maybe the opportunity to play in the Pac 12 with historic venues and large crowds was more attractive than playing in HS gyms or maybe after seeing BYU’s humiliating losses to finish out the season got him thinking that the program has some serious coaching or culture issues or maybe he wasn’t happy that Mika was possibly leaving the team and didn’t like the direction the program was heading or maybe he just related better to the coaching staff at Utah. None of us know why he changed his mind and I’m as disappointed as you are. All I’m saying is that there could be several reasons that factored-in on his decision so why assume the worst?

Some of those wcc gyms has some historic places too, like USF 1956 NC and runner up GU 2017 but most of those places are cracker jack gyms. Those humiliating losses this year could be too. Sure PAC12 has some historic places like ucla but Fliiping from BYU to u! Now that IS Humiliating!!!
Doesn’t matter. Now we are still waiting from Dave Rose of who is our new assistant coach or coaches, which other players are gone, if all 3 missionaries are coming back and IF or When Mika is coming back or leaving (sometime before May 24 NBA deadline).