3 Reasons to pump the brake--Sam Hiatt

http://www.tornbysports.com/byu-expectations-3-reasons-to-pump-the-brakes/

I really don’t disagree much with anything Hiatt says in his article. Yes, we should temper our expectations for BYU Football. I got to where I would have to roll my eyes a bit every time Bronco mentioned competing for a national championship. We would all love that and Edwards was able to pull it off. But, the odds are highly stacked against BYU ever getting a second one. Yes, we need to have realistic expectations. The one factor that Hiatt doesn’t consider in his article is the impact a well executed scheme can have in overcoming the talent gap. Look at what Navy and Air Force does with a bunch of 2 star players. This year, Navy had only two 3-star players. Their recruiting class ranks 95th and yet they finished the 2015 season ranked 18th in the nation. Scheme and execution vaulted Navy far above their talent ranking. Sometimes a single player can elevate the whole team. Look what Taysom was able to do against a Texas team with far more team talent across the board, except at QB. A great QB has a chance to make a huge difference because they have the ball in their hands so much of the time. So, while I agree with Hiatt, the scheme and the skill positions can even the talent gap and make for an exciting season. I don’t see BYU winning another National Championship but I am optimistic that with Detmer running the offense, we can be a giant killer and win some of those big games. If Navy can finish at 18th with their level of talent, I don’t doubt that BYU can crack the top 15 during our magical season years.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.