Witt's new contract

The notion of Will ever coming to BYU was a good laugh. He just signed a 2.6 million per year deal that goes up by 100K per year over 4 years. That kind of money could make me friends with just about anyone, including Hill.

That is all.

There is a reason why Witt gets almost 3 times more pay than
Bronco. Compare the accomplishments of Whit the past 10 years
to those of Bronco the past 10years.

Look at all that one was able to accomplish that the other was not able to do.

so if Bronco had accomplished even more that what you think Witt has you are saying that it would be different and he would be getting huge pay raises, bonuses, etc.?

Of course not.

You really don’t know what you are talking about on this one.

1 Like

seriously, this is a case of Witt getting into a big boy league and the recruits following. Witt will never produce a top QB. He is the same animal as Bronco…a defensive genius who depends on OCs to run the offense. No way that Witt is that much better as a HC.

I agree CB that the two would be interchangeable. Whit gets his raise not because he’s any better than Bronco but because Utah finally gets their full $20+million annual PAC12 TV share.

1 Like

Jim,
Jim Hawks,

Thank you for your reply. The names, “Whittingham and Bronco” are really not the issue.
The issue is the amount of money that attracts the the best coaches in the nation vs the coaches that are the left overs.

I think that for the money we spend on coaches, along with the restrictions which we have in accepting coaches, i.e. Membership in good standing, and with very few exceptions, we probably have about the best coaches that we can find that are willing to coach for us at the price we are willing to pay.

As a mid major team, when we were in a mid-major conference with our other mid major friends and rivals, the Utes and the TCU team, we were relatively happy with the coaches that we had. On the most part, we scheduled all the other teams in the MWC and maybe 1 or at the most 2 teams from a P5 type (BCS), conference and again, we were happy and satisfied with our coaches.

Our coaches are no less good or less qualified now than they were then. The frustration is that now, with the Utes gone and with TCU gone, each to P5 conferences, not wanting to be left behind as the only great mid major team, we left to be independent and for a short while, we tried to identify with N.D.

Now, desperately, (at least for some of us), we try, by scheduling as many P5 teams as possible to look attractive to P5 conferences. We shoot ourselves in the foot by scheduling enough Division 2 or lower teams to guarantee we do not have a losing season. This is a hugh contradiction demonstration of who or what we really are.

The name Whittingham could be changed to Sarkisian, or Pete Carroll or Urban Myers, or Nick Sabin, or most any of the best coaches in the P5 conference. The name Bronco could be changed to any of the better coaches from any of the mid major conferences,

My comments are not to give praise for any one P5 coach and my comments are not criticism of any mid major coach.

What I am trying, (unsuccessfully with you), to point out, is that if we want to remain a Mid Major Conference type team, we are fine with the coaches we have, which are among the very best of all the Mid Majors.

If we want to really compete with the P5 teams, and perhaps get into a P5 conference, some changes must be made.

It isn’t working trying to compete under our old rules because we are not in those old times. We are now facing new times that require new rules if we are to advance.

The alternative to advancing is falling behind, as other teams do advance.

Once again, thank you for your reply. And yes, you are correct. I do not KNOW what I am talking about. I only have opinions and I do respect your opinions that differ from mine.

Ron Uharriet.

Subject: [CougarFan - Boards] [Football] Witt’s new contract
To: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:54:18 +0000

[https://snt148.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=Ru5IIsCKhK68K%2FNT0riQLGMTl7fOgjqJfqyKu2pdzZw%3D0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdiscourse.cougarfan.com%2Fletter_avatar%2Fjimhawks%2F45%2F2.png]

JimHawkshttp://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30210687/discourse.cougarfan.com?p=eyJzIjoiOHhBX3gwdE5ydmVQQm9Ia3ZadnQ0dVNTR3lzIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDIxMDY4NyxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvZGlzY291cnNlLmNvdWdhcmZhbi5jb21cXFwvdXNlcnNcXFwvamltaGF3a3NcIixcImlkXCI6XCI4YzY3ZGZkZjJmYjE0MTUyYmMxYmM5MGQxZDhkODFiZlwiLFwidXJsX2lkc1wiOltcImIzMzI2ZjZiOWUxMjk4Y2Q1NDFlMjA2ZDEyYjM2YTBmMmExNmQ1Y2FcIl19In0
January 18

so if Bronco had accomplished even more that what you think Witt has
you are saying that it would be different and he would be getting huge
pay raises, bonuses, etc.?

Of course not.

You really don’t know what you are talking about on this one.

To respond, visit
http://discourse.cougarfan.com/t/witts-new-contract/267/3http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30210687/discourse.cougarfan.com?p=eyJzIjoiZDhLTnI3SlpIVENjbjNZMHRCZDljVm1NdFBnIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDIxMDY4NyxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvZGlzY291cnNlLmNvdWdhcmZhbi5jb21cXFwvdFxcXC93aXR0cy1uZXctY29udHJhY3RcXFwvMjY3XFxcLzNcIixcImlkXCI6XCI4YzY3ZGZkZjJmYjE0MTUyYmMxYmM5MGQxZDhkODFiZlwiLFwidXJsX2lkc1wiOltcIjg5YmFkNWQ3MWZiNzEzOTM4NzM0ZTg1ZWUwMGY1NWMzMGEzOGU1ZWNcIl19In0
in your browser.

Previous Replies
[https://snt148.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=Ru5IIsCKhK68K%2FNT0riQLGMTl7fOgjqJfqyKu2pdzZw%3D0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdiscourse.cougarfan.com%2Fletter_avatar%2Fronald_uharriet%2F45%2F2.png]

Ronald_Uharriethttp://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30210687/discourse.cougarfan.com?p=eyJzIjoiU29IcXRQb2JzREJSU1g4VTF4aGg1QnkycWJNIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDIxMDY4NyxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvZGlzY291cnNlLmNvdWdhcmZhbi5jb21cXFwvdXNlcnNcXFwvcm9uYWxkX3VoYXJyaWV0XCIsXCJpZFwiOlwiOGM2N2RmZGYyZmIxNDE1MmJjMWJjOTBkMWQ4ZDgxYmZcIixcInVybF9pZHNcIjpbXCIxOWNhNDhjYTU3ZWNlNGE1ZGRlNWFhY2VmM2JjNTJkNTk3OTQ2NmY2XCJdfSJ9
January 18

There is a reason why Witt gets almost 3 times more pay than
Bronco. Compare the accomplishments of Whit the past 10 years
to those of Bronco the past 10years.

Look at all that one was able to accomplish that the other was not able
to do.

[https://snt148.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=Ru5IIsCKhK68K%2FNT0riQLGMTl7fOgjqJfqyKu2pdzZw%3D0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdiscourse.cougarfan.com%2Fuser_avatar%2Fdiscourse.cougarfan.com%2Ffish%2F45%2F56.png]

fishhttp://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30210687/discourse.cougarfan.com?p=eyJzIjoibGxEdzVFOU9HRm81M3hZbnlBd2dlYU1wSmNjIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDIxMDY4NyxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwOlxcXC9cXFwvZGlzY291cnNlLmNvdWdhcmZhbi5jb21cXFwvdXNlcnNcXFwvZmlzaFwiLFwiaWRcIjpcIjhjNjdkZmRmMmZiMTQxNTJiYzFiYzkwZDFkOGQ4MWJmXCIsXCJ1cmxfaWRzXCI6W1wiYjY2MTUxOGExOGVjMTE3MDIxMDllNzVjMWZiOTVjNTk2NWY1YWZjMlwiXX0ifQ
January 17

The notion of Will ever coming to BYU was a good laugh. He just signed
a 2.6 million per year deal that goes up by 100K per year over 4 years.
That kind of money could make me friends with just about anyone,
including Hill.

That is all.

What Ron U says makes a lot of sense. BYU doesn’t pay real well, though they would argue that they do compared with what they payed in the past. Most good coaches don’t want to take a pay cut to coach at BYU because it’s the “Y” just like a lot of players don’t want to come here to have to deal with the standards police and I have no porblem with that. There is a lot of good things that happen at BYU. So how do you get a great coach to come here>In that case TY Detmer might come out of high school-what kind of coach he would maybe is debatable. Or you could get a coach that had a bad run of luck at the P5 level who gets fired and could end up here if he passes all the other tests:) It’s going to take some doing to get a better coach than Bronco at this level of football that’s being played- its not like the days when Woody and Bo had to look in the dictionary to find out what a forward pass was. All in all it’s a tough scenerio-between coaches whom BYU has had-who would have done a better job than either of them that we have had before or could actually get. If we could get Urban Meyer or even Pete Petersen-I’d fire Bronco in a second-not going to happen. Or better to give the job to Robert Anae-doubt that will push us over the top. Someone smarter than me will have to figure this one out!

Chris and Tom (Ron and SR too) this is what I was trying to point out. Either I completely misunderstood Ron’s post or well… there is no other comment I can make about what he said regarding Bronco and Whit. I agree that the two are interchangeable, which would leave Ron saying the same exact thing with the names “interchanged” and I would respond exactly the same way.

I apologize to Ron for not understanding but usually I do. I read his post three times and pondered for several minutes before I replied. So I agree with you Chris and you Tom. I don’t think I am as good at disagreeing in a nice way. I just sort of tell it like it is… :slight_smile:

Jim,

I am sorry that I did not break down my comments in a way that you can understand… Let me try to simplify it:

More money attracts more of the best coaches.
Less money gets the left over coaches.

LDS membership in good standing being a requirement for HC
limits the number of the best coaches to choose from.

If we did not have that requirement, (LDS membership),
we would have more of the very best coaches to choose from.

Putting the LDS membership as a requirement for having an AD, which is the boss of the HC, and at the same time, doing away with the requirement for the HC would open the door for the best coaches that would come to BYU if the pay was competitive, which it is not at this time.

One way of looking at this scenario is through the eyes of a mid major while the other way of looking at it is through the eyes of a P5 conference minded person.

Where do you stand on this issue?

taking the comments for what they seemed to be I’m not sure anybody would have thought this is what you were talking about. It seemed like you were comparing Witt and Bronco, as if they were on equal ground and one had done more than the other.

I don’t really know where I stand on this. I honestly don’t know what is best but I would like to see BYU get into a conference and compete under that scenario.

I don’t think the falloff in ticket sales is a result of playing an indy schedule alone. I think there are a lot of other factors involved.

I am fairly certain that ticket sales are directly proportional to being Indy…once we lose a couple of games, our motivation (for many) is gone. No conference championship, no major bowl to play for.

the economy, the fact that every game is on TV, bad weather… and the indy schedule with nothing to play for after a loss or two.

Those are a few of them…

1 Like

BYU’s on the field performance, not just this year but for several years now (including the terrible record vs U of U over the past decade) is a large part of the attendance slide - not just indy schedule and other aspects.

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. We both want the same thing.

We are both frustrated that it is coming slowly, if it is coming at all.

We sometimes take different paths to illustrate what we want for our team, but what we want for our team is the same.

Neither of us like to attack the coaches, or the play calling, or scheduling, or anything else that each of us from time to time to complain about. What each of us really want, is for our Cougars, to once again,
be important on the National Stage.

That’s my opinion about you and I and the team that each of us love and want to see grow into prominence.

Whit is also in the P-5 big money PAC-12. Utah gets that big money now and BYU does not.

Jim,

Let me simplify even more, which I said above to you.

When we were al mid majors together, (TCU, Utah, and BYU), each of the coaches were making about the same, from about $800,000 per year to almost a $million per year each.

Once the teams did all that they could to get to the next level, those teams that advanced the most paid their coaches the most, while the bottom of the group of 3 paid very little more. This is as it should be.

With the great success that both TCU and Utah had to get into the BCS bowls that they won, that opened the door to being accepted into a P5 conference. (TCU/BIG 12—Utah/Pac 12), and now because of the accomplishments of TCU and Utah, their coaches get or soon will have $3 million per year each, while our coach, that accomplished much, much less, stays around $1 million per year and that is as it should be.

When our coach is able to get us into a Big 4 play off, (we have no more BCS bowls), and do well enough in that play off to get us accepted into a P5 conference, that will get TV payouts of $25 Million per year instead of 8-10 million per year that we now get from ESPN, than I expect that our coaches pay will be closer to $2million per year than the current $1 million per year that he currently gets. He will earn the $3million but the Church probably will not pay the going rate,

In no way is this a popularity contest between Bronco and Kyle. Instead it is a matter of fact that Bronco is still getting mid major pay while Kyle and Peterson, our former peers, are now getting P5 pay.

When Lavell won the national championship did his pay skyrocket?

I don’t think so…

The pay for a coach at BYU will always be less than that of other coaches, including P5 coaches. It has nothing to do with any of the things you mentioned.

Check and see what an education costs at ANY of the P5 schools, compared to what it costs at BYU, after all that is the most important aspect of “going to school”, isn’t it? Getting an education?

I believe they gave Lavell a multi year contract (before then, they offered year to year contracts) for the first time after he won the National Championship. They did give him a big raise, because the Detroit Lions were offering him big bucks…

but even with all that… I still think his salary was like 50 percent below the other “named” college coaches (Bowden, Paterno, etc.)…

But your right Jim, BYU does not want to pay the big salary for their HC (football or Basketball). I understand the concept of be frugal with your money, but if you want national exposure, they need to bring in coaches that can produce the results they talk about…

Jim,

With all of your correctness regarding education, why do you even bother watching or discussing anything about football?

You obviously do not believe in any value of a balanced life.

With you, if it isn’t about Church, education, and family, it has no value to you, so why don’t you post on a more family or church or education oriented section of this site.

Yes, like Bronco, you are a wonderful person that can teach us all about what is important in life and what is not. I’m sure that in your mind, we don’t understand what is important and what is not without you teaching us. That is called obnoxious arrogance.

Lavel Edwards, with a National Championship and with a Heisman Trophy Winner, and with a stadium named after him, (until the last few years) was making $80,000. per year. What’s your point???

When you learn to read for facts and not for your emotional outbreaks, —Never mind, I can’t teach you to read and I can’t teach you how to understand what you read. Forget it.

Does anybody else get the feeling that Brother Uharriet has no idea what I was talking about and his reply proves it? Talk about completely misunderstanding what somebody is posting… :weary:

I mean what is up with some of these comments?

“You obviously do not believe in any value of a balanced life.” :flushed:

“Yes, like Bronco, you are a wonderful person that can teach us all about what is important in life and what is not. I’m sure that in your mind, we don’t understand what is important and what is not without you teaching us.” :confounded:

or what about this gem?

“That is called obnoxious arrogance.” :confused:

or this one?

“When you learn to read for facts and not for your emotional outbreaks, —Never mind, I can’t teach you to read and I can’t teach you how to understand what you read. Forget it.” :smirk:

Seriously, is anyone else as confused as I am with those replies?

This last one simply proves my point, that being that no matter what happens in the future, BYU is not going to pay their coaches big money. For crying out loud Ron, you agreed with me.

“Lavel Edwards, with a National Championship and with a Heisman Trophy Winner, and with a stadium named after him, (until the last few years) was making $80,000. per year. What’s your point???”

Between Gavenman and Uharriet completely misunderstanding everything I post, I am THIS close to giving up and never posting here again… :cry: