Tye Detmer Fired?

Thanks for the greeting dew.

With the new OC and a new 2018 season, I am cautiously optimistic that the season vs. Arizona, Cal, Wisconsin,
Washington, Boise and Utah et.al others, will be a better conclusion than what we experienced in 2017.

Dew, this may seem strange, but I would much rather have a 7-5 season with the key teams we played in 2017 and 2018 than to have a 10-2 season vs. all G5 teams except for maybe one or two. Again, I realize that I am in the minority thinking here, but I love that we keep challenging ourselves to play with the best.

With those 2018 P5 schedule, I am optimistic we will see a lot better conclusion what we saw 2017. For example, we should see either way W or L with entertaining games. Some close ones and some should have won. 2017 LSU game was SO BAD that I don’t want to see that again!
2017 G5 & Ind. Umas games were pretty bad and ugly. 2018, we will do better and win most of them. Hope Grimes can win against this Blue Turf up in Idaho.
I watched a little on u vs WV game today and good for Kyle Whitingham big Win but I rather see Kyle in BLUE at the Y :frowning:
Anyhow, go easy on NY Eve and Day. My family and I will be at home staying away from dangers.
And go Cougars for Thursday and Saturday basketball games.

Happy New Year Ron

dew,

I liked your post.

I have an honest question(s). Here goes.

Would you rather have a 12 game season with a combined 350 point loss-275 point win, vs teams like the P5 teams of 2017 along with the P5 teams of 2018, plus throw in Boise State each year for a 9 strong SOS season, or--------------------

Would you rather have a 350 point win-275 point loss, playing those teams in 2017 and 2018 ranked 100 or worse out of the 130 teams? Or----------------------------

Would you rather play 6 P5 teams with 6 teams ranked in the 100’s and see where the chips fall? (like 2017 season)?

Here’s my take:

There is no shame losing to a P5 team ranked in the top 65. We may even get lucky and upset one or two of these teams.

The shame comes in losing to teams ranked below 65 and this is especially true when losing, (like 2017) to teams ranked in the 100’s.

If I had my way, until we learn how to play vs a P5 schedule, I would stay away from the P5 teams expected to be ranked in the top 40 and try to get 9 P5 teams, if possible ranked from 41- to as low as they go. Doing this, hopefully with 9 or more P5 teams per season, we could, (not guaranteed), have a winning season each year with a bowl. We would be playing a P5 schedule,(weak) yes, but none the less, 9 P5 teams per season is indeed a P5 schedule.

Ron

I don’t think I have any answer to your 3 questions options at the top. Since we are still in the Independent being stuck how they P5 schools wants. We continue to play early tough P5 season and ending the less interesting G5/FCS games. And that just the way it is. Nice to see we have utah at the end of November 2018. As for 2018, we will do better but those P5 games on the road, I’m afraid we will lose majority of them but we will do better staying close in the game.

I wanted to see that we would have 9 P5 games with combination of 2 top 20 team, 5 btwn 21- 50 and the other 2 bottom schools that we can play. Yes including G5 Boise State and two other good schools. And I know, we are dreaming.

I believe when and IF this “Realignment” comes around (I believe 2023 or 2024) we hope that BYU getting in. If not then we should see a new G5 shakeups. There will be a new G5 structure. because you see Big12 will have 4 teams moving on to Power 4 Leagues and the left overs (Big12) will become G5. I don’t want to go back to mwc ever again. There will be 2 or 4 G5 group, Western Region Group Champ to face the best Eastern Group Champ for NC. Just an idea but we have a long way to see what will happen when comes to “IF” Realignment do come around. BUT THAT IS IF IT WILL HAPPEN.
Right now, this is what we got going forward that we should get better and forget about 2017.

Oh one more thing, my in laws who happens to live in Georgia. She said and read that on paper people would like to see the playoff to grow to 8 teams playoff that way all five P5 champ get the auto bid along with two at large bid and one G5. Will it happen, maybe. That way there would be no realignment (P4) and BYU and the rest of Independent would be force to join the G5 Conference.

Yes I am dreaming which I think it is okay and so what. You know I have lost interest about sports lately because things gotten too big and they ruined it for every fans and players and that is include pro sports.

David, (dew),
You bring up many interesting scenarios.

1. The relianment due to come in 2024 when the new TV contracts are made.

It has been my concern in the recent past, (pre 2017 season), that we get as
    much exposure as possible playing P5 teams, realizing that P5 conference
    teams play at least 9 P5 teams per season with the other 3 games optional,
    but needing a strong SOS in order to get the bowls they want and need.

If we do not get use to playing at least 9 P5 teams per season,successfully,
    knowing that 2024 will come around very soon, how can we expect to,
    (all of a sudden), be able to play successfully
    in a P5 conference, if we could not play 9 P5 teams successfully as an
    independent? Where is our thinking?

2… The 2017 season has changed the dynamics drastically. With probably 4 new
coaches by the end of January, all on offense, our new concern is if we can get back
to where we were before the 2017 season. If so, we go back to #1 above. If not,
we go to #3 below.

3… Remembering the 16 team WAC days, when we took the 8 best teams and formed the
MWC, we may consider the possibility of forming a new G5 conference with only the
most elite of the G5 teams in the nation (miles/etc.noted). Like the Big 12 has only 8 teams,
teams, so might our new conference start with only 8 of the very best G5 teams with the
hope that we prove worthy to be accepted as a P6 conference.
(Remember the Big East P6).

Our most important goal would not be to get a bowl game or even a winning season,  
but instead, our goal would be to prove that we as a conference are worthy of 
being a P6 conference.  

I could see teams like BYU, #11 UCF, #19 Memphis, #24 USF, #26 Boise State, 
 #27 SDS, 44 Toledo, #55 Houston and BYU startng the new conference if we can 
 get back to above the #65 ranking.

Remembering that there are currently 130 Division 1 teams and half that amount 
would be 65 teams, we can approximate, with many exceptions, that the top 65 
teams should be considered the P5 teams, while the bottom 65 should be 
considered the G5 teams.

Perhaps there could be some  clauses in the new conference, that (1.)  any team 
ranked below 65 by seasons end, shall  be temporarily suspended from the 
conference and go independent until such time as their end of the year rankings 
are back up to 65 or better.  

(2.) Perhaps we could have in the contract that any team that has 65 or better 
ranking may join the conference up to a 14 team conference.  (3). Once we have a 
14 team conference, we could have a claus that the team with the lowest ranking
 may be replaced by a team with a higher ranking.

Yes all three ideas are outside the box. Yes, more difficulties than possibilities. I get it.
Perhaps someone here could hitch hike on this initial set of thoughts and come up with a
better idea that might have a better chance of working. My post is not intended to sell
anyone on my post, but instead, it is intended to provoke some thoughts that might really
work. Ask Roy, he will tell you how provoking I can be.
(Ha ! Humor. Nothing negetative intended)

dew, Floyd, Roy, grasshopper, fish, Sundance, thawk, Clausewitz, and tlarimer,

I must sound like a glutten for punishment with this post. I do think that while Floyd may or may not agree totally with what I am trying to say, he will at least see it as a ligitimate point of view. On the other hand, I see the strongest negetive reaction coming from Roy. The rest of you I see as being somewhere between Floyd and Roy.

I like most of dew’s posting but I disagree with a part of this one when he says,
( “Since we are still in the Independent being stuck how they P5 schools wants.”) I like and agree, with minor exceptions, to all else in his post. I like and I appreciate the way he does his posting.

I believe that it is not, the P5 that holds us back and keeps us where they want us. Instead, I believe that we are responsibly for our own actions. (good and bad). For every action there is a seperate but equal reaction.
If we do not want a negetive reaction, we can not send out negetive actions. Politics and Religion should be kep private and not imposed on others with different points of view. Football needs to have seperation from controversal issues.

If we win enough teams in a season against quality SOS teams, we will be ranked. If we don’t, we won’t.

If we refrain from political/religious controversal issues in public, there will be a certain percent of that public that will be against us. With approximate 8 Million Mormons in a country of 300 million, the odds are against us. If we become to much of a problem for a P5 conference to deal with, they won’t. It is our choice. It is not the fault of the P5 community.
It is time to realize that we can not blame others for our own actions or lack there of.

Detmer will do just fine. and we may not have seen the last of him at BYU…Let’s face it, we all love him and understand he was over his head, and heunderstands getting fired. But Detmer is too big an asset to BYU and everyone knows it. I say, go on some hunts, get the bad taste out of your mouth and get back to recruiting for BYU, or being a QB coach somewhere but always remember, the door at BYU is WIDE open for you, mi casa-su casa

Thanks for your reply fish.

Yes my understanding is that he is on a hunting trip with a former BYU player. It is also reported that he may be open to an offer for a QB coach position in the NFL.

In the NFL he will have the best of the best QB’s in the Nation that will easily follow his Pro Style approach for the QB.

Perhaps our stable of QB’s were not capable to learn fast enough and/or well enough to find success with that Pro Style Quarterbacking.

One could squeeze 16 of the very finest lemons into a 24 ounce Tropical Orange Juice bottle, and no matter how perfect and how good tasting those lemons are, those lemons will never make the sweet orange juice that we demand.