Time to see a new QB

It’s not the player’s fault for producing? Disagree. None of the players are being taught bad technique or not being taught how to play the game. They aren’t learning it. Or, their talent isn’t good enough to stop the other team.
Now, against ECU, we were in scoring position 4 or 5 times and should have been able to score. There was bad plays called. We should have won that game too. Should of out scored them.

Then Tanner needs to go somewhere else if he can’t learn to be a pocket passer. Let someone else do it. I agree Tanner should be benched. The running to Ty every time he doesn’t produce is painful to watch and childish.

I think if this were any other school in D1, Detmer would have already been fired. He’s not getting the job done, I think he knows it, and I predict he resigns the day after our last game. But I think Mangum shares the blame. I was one of the guys calling for Mangum to play more last year when Taysom couldn’t throw the ball downfield, and I was excited for this year, but Mangum has been a total disaster. I think it’s in his head and I don’t think playing a few cupcake games can fix it.

I don’t think Ty is going anywhere. He honors his commitments and isn’t a quitter. And, Sitaki will not fire him yet.
I will say that if we don’t see more midrange and long passes, we may see a change in QB.
Also, we have to have better plays in the red zone. I’d even go for fake field goals. I would have also let the punter run on a couple of the punts. It was open.

Any information on Troy Warner’s injury? Looked like an Achilles

So the problem with this team is Mangum, Ty and possibly the DC? That’s it? Get rid of those 3 and the team will be a winner? There are more problems on the BYU team than those 3. There is poor play from a number of players all season long. I don’t understand many of the schemes and play calling. I wonder about the confidence of both the coaching staff and the players. It seems to me that they have not fully utilized some of the offensive talent, like Tolatau (sp.) as an example. For much of the game with ECU, I was thinking how we could arrange with ECU to trade our offensive and defensive teams for theirs. ECU looked more athletic and determined to win. I have gotten the sense this year that football games, for BYU players, are simply jobs you clock into and out of and then go do your own individual thing apart from that. Too what extent that may be true, I really don’t know, obviously. Injuries have definitely been a problem also. But something is surely amiss between the coaching staff and the players. To sink so low, so quickly is a head scratcher and I keep thinking this is a dream, isn’t it? Isn’t it?

To me it’s like their defense knows exactly what we are going to run. Especially in the blue zone…

I can handle losing to good teams, even losing a lot to good teams. What feels terrible and wrong is that we are not even close to being competitive. I really didn’t see this coming at all, and I’m a cautious optimism type (meaning, I never expect to go undefeated or be in the hunt for a playoff spot). How non-competitive we have been is truly shocking to me.

What needs to happen (however that happens) offensively is that we have to avoid 3rd down situations. It has the feel to me of “oh, no, here we go again” when we have 3rd down every possession. It’s like a hitter in a slump needing to stay away from 2 strike counts. We aren’t getting first downs, period, but we really need to start getting 1st downs on 1st and 2nd down and avoiding 3rd down — just from a confidence standpoint. I don’t feel like Mangum or our coaches feel confident we will convert. It’s like the feel of the LSU game, but against everybody.

We have to throw down field instead of 3 yard passes. Take some risks. Role out ocassionally. Like we did in the 4th quarter.