This is just hard to watch

The question is are we doing the best things in our offense and pass defense? I say no. Anae was predictable. TY is even more predictable so far.
Football has to be more important to the coaches than it seems to be, again. Just saying…

Grasshopper,

With respect to you, I must disagree. ( Anae was predictable. TY is even more predictable so far. ).
Almost ever game, I yelled and screamed at Anae, Why call that play now? ( And as a person, I really liked Anae a lot.)

I can’t ever remember screaming those words at Ty. I respect his Heisman Trophy Playing while being a QB
at BYU and I respect his (Team player coaching) 14 years experience in the NFL. I am grateful that he is coaching for us now. I hope that he stays.

(Football has to be more important to the coaches than it seems to be,) (another quote)
I am remimded that almost daily, we were told, by the outgoing coach, that football was not all that important in the theme of things, and never have I heard the current coaching staff try to lecture to us about how unimportant football really is.

I share your frustration that something has to change. I don’t feel that the change has to be, (altogether) in the coaching techniques.

With respects to the coaches teaching football isn’t everything in life, I’ve heard several interviews of current players say the same thing. Nothing has changed. Just listen to the players.
Ty’s plays and play calling is high school ball. He needs to come up with better plays and style of play.

Floyd,

I couldn’t agree more. Indeed, this is a different time and a different game. Right now, we are neither fish or fowl.
We want to be a big fish, but we are playing more fowl.

We want the football world to think of us as a P5 Independent team, but when we play teams that are ranked 100 or worse, we look like a middle of the pack G5 team. (Portland State). When we play a P5 team, we look like a lower G5 team or worse .(LSU, Utah, Wisconsin). Okay, maybe not Utah as much as LSU and Wisconsin, but never the less, a P5 team that for the past 7 tries, we can not beat.

We have 7 years before the next new TV contract. That means that we have 7 years before the next expansion, so what do we do next? Do we keep doing the same things that do not get us ready, or do we make changes in the way we do things? If so, what changes must be made? What do we, as loyal fans, need to do in order to help those changes come about?

thawk,

I think that Mangum shared more information with us than we should have known. (Depression etc.)
I think that we now look for the sings that may or may not be there. Before he shared that information,
instead of looking flor those tell-tell sighs, we were looking foreward to the next Hail Mary or Freshman like
break out season. I think that Tanner is the man. I think that we must incourage him and not discourage him.
Do you think that Hodge did better in the 40-6 game vs. Wisconsin? Do you think that young Detmer is ready?
Who else do we have?

While I am unhappy and frustrated by yet another season of let down, I believe we still have to let the HC and coaching staff, in general, to have 3 more years to see what they can do with that amount of time to build the program and get the recruits they can get. At the end of 5 years, if we are still getting the same results, we need to find another HC (if that is even possible with the HC needing to be active LDS in good standing).

Floyd,

The QB of #10 Wisconsin looked like his passes were blasted out of a cannon with lasor beam accuracy most of the time.
The wide receivers for #10 Wisconsin was jublient, excited, and seemed to dive after passes that he rarely missed that reminded me much of Ben Cahoon when he played for us and in the Canadian League. The problem is that #43 BYU, looked just like a #43 team vs a #10 team is expected to look and we the fans, keep expecting something different.

We all need to make up our minds.

1.) Do we want to play in a G5 conference and win most of our games vs 9 G5 team, 1or 2 P5 teams, and maybe 1 or 2
FCS teams, and feel good about beating up on inferrior teams that P5 conference teams do not take seriously?

2.) Do we want to seriously prepare ourselves, by finding a way, to recruit more 4-5 star players during this next 7 years,
so that when the time comes, we will be ready and prepared to accept the challenge if indeed we are invited at that
time, to a P5 conference?

3.) Do we really want to continue to fool ourseves, (but nobody else), that we can compete against P5 teams that have
more 4-5 star players as back ups, than we have as starters, and still have a positive outcome using just 1-2-3 star
players?

1. We can’t put the Gene back in the box.
    When we let the Gene out of the box, and got National Attention for playing a tough SOS. Some thought of
    as an Independent P5 team without the benefit of being in a P5 conference. We started playing 4-6 P5 teams per
    season. We can’t go back to playing just 1 or 2 P5 team again along with 1-2 Patsie teams. There really isn’t a
    choice anymore. We must find a way to attract more 4-5 star players to BYU in order to compete against
    all the 4-5 star players in the P5 teams that we now play agains. We must help these 4-5 star players feel appreciated
    and respected by the University and the coaches. I don’t know how to do this, but I think that the University and it’s
    leadership needs to find out a way to do it soon, before it is too late. We can’t keep blaming the cook in a Gormay
    resturante for a failing business if the cook is only given grade “Good” beef to prepare. (We must find a way to serve
    Choice and Prime beef if we want the Gormay Consumer to return to the resturante.

grasshopper,

My neighborhood of non LDS membership, in California, but still, BYU Cougar Fans, have said in regards to the games vs. LSU, Utah, and Wisconsin and yes, even Portland state, that we indeed do play now and look now, like a high school team playing college teams. (Not good).

Perhaps it may take another season of patience, but I would really feel foolish if we caused the brilliant football mind, full of college and NFL experience, (Ty Detmer) to leave.

A man, A coach, of Detmer’s quality must feel appreciated in order to keep him. A lessor man, a lessor coach, may take more abuse, but again, he would be the lessor man and lessor coach and perhaps needing the job more, would therefore not leave.

Who is Gene??? :nerd_face:

Grasshopper

( Who is Gene ? Beats me ! )

Am I the only one that thinks it strange that our defense almost always waits for the receiver to catch the ball and than tackles the receiver, after the catch instead of first trying to intercept the pass and second, if not possible to intercept the cash, knock it out of the possibility for the intended receiver to receive it? (That’s what LSU, Utah, and Wisconsin was doing to us, but we did not recepetate.

I think you meant genie. And I’d like to intercept the “cash” too :wink:
Anyways, I agree. We play too far off and aren’t reacting quick enough. I think part of the problem is this year’s receivers aren’t quick enough to practice with.

Wisc is a far better team than LSU or Utah. I will take my lumps with Hodge. It was basically his first game ever at the college level. The defense has me more worried than the offense…I know that sounds crazy, but I believe Detmer can work out the issues. I have no faith in the DC and his football knowledge.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Thawk.
According to CBS 1-130 teams (9/18/17 poll),

As we know it today, #7 Wisconsin, #10 Miss State, #22 Utah, #30 LSU, (After Miss State beat them so badly),
#42 Boise State, --------------------------------- #83 BYU ), seem to be the only real threat to BYU this season.
(worse case scenario- 8-5 season).

#92 Hawaii, #102 Utah State, #103 Fresno State, #110 UNLV, #120 San Jose State, #122 E. Carolina, #127 UMASS,
and --------Below 130, FCS Portland State. From #92 to below #130 should not be a problem.

We have guaranteed ourselves a winning season and bowl game with our programing so we can all be happy now. (Not).

If anyone is interested, I have the new polls from SB Nation, College Football, NCAA, Saragain, AP, and coaches Poll.

Another loss to Mississippi State on Oct 14, don’t like it but there I is. I predict a 7 and 6 won - loss record.

Awe yes, we let the Genie out of the box. Thanks Scott. I do get a bit more careless than I use to be many moons ago.
Ron.

I’m definitely not assuming that Utah St. or Hawaii are automatic wins. Either team could beat us, and with our offense, we can’t assume we would beat anyone. Both have emotional motivation that make it tricky (especially in recent years with Utah St., and historically for Hawaii).

Probably good not to take any of the other ones for granted, either.

Hope he can. The defense is okay for most teams. But the secondary is really weak or the coaches are holding them back from covering more closely.

8-5 is my prediction

Floyd: I hate to agree with you, but what your post said is true. The worst is the poor receivers and lack on consistent running. Tanner was robotic. Keeping him out last year really hurt him. It’s time for BYU to retrench, work on the fundamentals and get plenty of reps for Beau Hoge and the running backs and practice over and over with the receivers. The bye week couldn’t come at a better time. I think we can beat Utah State.

I doubt keeping Tanner out last hear made him robotic. How does that even work? Makes no sense.