The Systematic Unraveling of BYU Sports Since The Glory Years Of The Late1970’s And 80’s

Not me. This is the new chapter for 2018. Whole new Offensive Coaches to hope for the best for new season. 2017 Football was all in the past and forgotten. From KSL news yesterday about Ty Detmer, he was not bitter and he still love BYU football. We go forward and we will do better than last year. I don’t care what other people are being negative talk about last year and they need to let it go.

Listening to all the sports “Analyst” on radio and TV, you would think that BYU fell off the cliff…

Here is my take:

1. Last year, BYU had probably the least experienced Offensive staff in college football.
  2. They were over their heads when it came to game calling. Ty not only had to teach the players the new scheme, but also the coaches.
  3. They were up against well seasoned coaches, who basically ate their lunch
  4. Injury bug bit us big time to key positions.
  5. With the QB, Ty was trying to force Mangum into a style of offense he was not able to do. Not everyone QB can do the spread offense.
  6. Kalani allow the players too much freedom and not enough accountability. He wanted to bring back the feelings in the office when Lavell roamed the halls. It cost us on the field and off the field.

Just some observations… #6 is an admission made by Kalani himself on Media day,.

1 Like

Floyd,

Ii totally agree with you on all counts regarding “Listening to all the sports “Analyst” on radio and TV, you would think that BYU fell off the cliff…”

Not all college QB’s can adapt to the pro style offense.

Let me take a different, (positive) point of view, regarding all the negative stuff printed on our 2017 season.

1. With all the negative talk, (Print), it all indicates that 2017 season is not the normal BYU football In the opinion of those doing the talking, (Printing). (That is a good thing)

2. All the bad talk about the 2017, is indicating shock, disbelief, that BYU could have such a bad season.
    (That’s a good thing)

3. ALL THE BAD TALK about 2017, has made the urgency to get some real experience into the full
    BYU Offense which we desperately needed. (Thanks a good thing).

I am extremely grateful that we got LSU’s line coach to come to BYU to be our OC.

I would have been much more grateful if we would have gotten LSU’s line coach to come to BYU to be our line coach and that he was able to bring with him, LSU’s OC, to be our BYU OC.

I think we made a giant step to right the ship. The 2018 season, will tell us if one giant step was enough, or if indeed, we may need 3 giant steps. I hope for the the best, but I remain extremely cautiously optimistic, which I believe is realistic optimism.

dew,

On most of your issues, I totally agree, and on those issues that I do not agree on, those are really not all that important, but here goes anyway:

dew:
2017 Football was all in the past and forgotten.

Ron:
Like the NC, the MB, and the HTQB, the 2017 will never be forgotten by us or by anyone that is a serious Football history buff. That Is both good and bad. It is something that many of us would wish the College Football world would forget, but like those few horrible years of the Texas Longhorns, which we helped to destroy, and possibly was a contributor to their HC losing his job, the football world will never forget. In the case of both Texas and now us, the history books will remember forever.

dew:
Ty Detmer, he was not bitter and he still love BYU football. We go forward and we will do better than last year.

Ron:
Ty Deter is a class act. He is too good to complain. While he says that he has no complaints and holds no ill will, he also expressed great disappointment that he was not given another chance to right the ship.

dew: I don’t care what other people are being negative talk about last year and they need to let it go.

Ron:
I do care, and I don’t want us to ever again give them reason to find fault with us (on or off the field.)

Floyd and DEW,

Just two more weeks… Ya, just 14 more days before Fall Practice. There should be much constructive football talk at that time and up to an additional 30 days before our first game vs. Arizona in Tuscon. Go Cougs!!!

If my memory servers me well, not always, and not by any means, but often, the first game of the season vs. a P5 team has been very lucky for us. We do not always hang onto that luck sometimes losing to laser teams, but often, we do win that first big important game. Last season, it was vs. Arizona in Glendale. This season, it could be vs. Arizona in Tucson. Who knows, with Arizona, this may turn into a 3 year success like those 3 consecutive years vs. Texas Longhorns.

Reminder that while 8 teams we play this year according to several composite outlets are ranked above us, another 4-8 season is another strong possibility. Because of our new Offensive coaching staff, a 6-6 season is more realistic. A 7-5 season, if all goes in our favor is very possible. 8-4 is not realistic.

We should prepare ourselves to be okay with a 6-6 season which is a great improvement over last season, while hoping for a 7-5 season, but not be down on or Cougars or their coaches if we don’t get it. Rome was not built in a day and our cougars may need more than one season to heal. This season and next season will be a difficult time for healing, but what ever time it takes to heal, we will once again be proud of your accomplishments.