The Systematic Unraveling of BYU Sports Since The Glory Years Of The Late1970’s And 80’s

I have to take exception with this comment Ronald… This is what happens when you project your opinion of what the church is doing…

I am currently on an inner city mission to a Spanish ward, the church did not create branches to keep them out of the white wards, they created them because the Latino’s asked the church to do so.

They want to keep their “Heritage”, their Language, their culture as Latino’s (as spoken by a sister in Testimony meeting). This is their heritage they wanted to pass on to the next generation, so that they children would not lose what they had as a culture. If that makes sense.

I don’t speak the language, but my wife does. I enjoy going to church with these brothers and sisters, even though they make fun of me because I don’t speak their language (in good humor). I am blessed to get to know these brothers and sisters…

So please, STOP! with promoting idea that the church did something because of racism (by inference in your comment).

I skimmed over most of this. Floyd - I appreciate your knowledge and insights based on your testimony and education. Good for you for serving that mission - it sounds awesome. My wife and I plan to go in 15 years. This Sunday night, my second oldest child will be opening her mission call. We are excited to see where she goes. Our oldest daughter is currently serving in Guatemala City.

Floyd,

On this issue, this is not my opinion. I am not projecting. This is my personal witness to a family of Mexican decent that was born, raised, schooled in the United State of America. The kids did not speak Spanish. They only spoke English. They had never been to Mexico. Their culture was that of the United States in the state of California. They were Americans of Hispanic decent. They lived 2 blocks from our brand new Eastmont Ward which was also our brand new East Los Angeles Stake Center.

When told that they had to go to the Ditman Branch, about 14 miles away for the Spanish speaking people,they replied that they spoke English and the children only spoke English and did not understand Spanish.

Next they were told that they needed to be with their own culture.
They replied that Mexico was not their culture and that there culture was that of the culture of the United States and they knew not, nor where they interested in the culture of Mexico.

Next they were told that they needed to be with their own people.
The reply was that the people of the United States were there people and that they had nothing in common with those in Mexico.

The end results were that instead of walking two blocks to their ward, they had to drive to a Ditman Branch 14 miles away, that they did not want to go to.

This is not opinion. This is no projection. I was there. This is living history that I witnessed. Take all the offense you want. I do agree that the situation was offensive. What you are doing currently on this subject, has nothing to do with what was being done in the 1950’s.

I agree that in today’s culture their is a push to preserve one’s heritage. Back in the 1950’s it was totally different when we were all suppose to be here in an environment of the “Melting Pot” where we all blended together.

Floyd, I know you to be a good man. I like and I respect you. You can’t confuse the here and now with the years of the 30’s, 40’s and the 50’s. The Church from the late middle 50’s to present has many, many, many changes from the Church before that time.

I could tell you a frightening story about our Heidleberg Branch back in 1954-56. I could even give names. You would not believe what the Branch President, Col. W. Legrand Nieson said regarding the Blacks. You would not believe it. I was there. It was not here-say, nor am I projecting.

Many of our changes have been for the best. The way we did it has not always been the best way. Admittedly, this last sentence is only my opinion base on what I personally have seen and experienced.

Floyd,

One of the things that I do admire so much about you is that it is obvious that you too, are a history buff as I am as well. I do believe that you are perhaps further advanced in the written Church History than I am, where as I probably have the edge over you on the unwritten personal witnessing of events of the early 1900’s.

My guess is that we may come close as equals on world affairs, not necessarily related to the Church.
My guess is that each of us has taught history.

One of the differences is that you have read a lot about what happened back in the 30’s. 40’s and 50’s where as I lived as it was happening back in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. In addition to the personal on site visualization of what was happening, I also had many religious classes in the Universities, that often disused some of the issues which I have personally witnessed.

What I was referring to, in regards to the platform of Josep Smith, when he was running for President, is how he was going to handle the Black (Negro), situation. If you remember that part, there is no need for me to continue. If you are not sure what I am speaking about, please ask and I will continue.

Floyd, I really am not the enemy. True, I do have many concerns, which I hope we can address and become better through behavior modification, however, I am not the enemy. I have much love and respect for the Church and I only want it to be as good as it could be by simply modifying some procedures that are not necessarily doctrine.

Ron

Floyd, Jim Hawks, Sun Dance ,Dev Mo, John Brady,
texCoug1492Craig_Larimer, aro,dew,and MikeH,

Floyd<

I have a bit of a problem wondering what it is that you feel that I don’t understand what President Kimble
felt at the issue? I do have a Masters. I am not stupid. Why do you keep saying in your postings regarding mine, that I am projecting my views? I am stating what I have witnessed.

" Since the beginning of this church in 1820, " The Church started after that time.

Gold plates, were found when Joseph Smith was a Lad in 1823. He became the first President of the Church in 1830 and remained the President until he was shot down in 1844.

Thank you Sundance.

My intent is never to find fault, but to strive for modification behavior so that their is no fault, regarding procedures that are not necessarily doctrine. Yes, I think that I understand that which you are conveying and accept it as good advice. Thank you.

Regarding sports, I like the part best when you say, “Sports is an outlet to allow us to have some fun and relieve the stress that accumulates in the course of our existence”.

To go along with your statement, I do feel that some of us need it in our lives far more than others.
I feel certain that many could take it or leave it, and still others are not at all interested in it.

For me, BYU Cougar Football has been a way of life for me since School year 1953-54. In the early days, before Lavel, I always wanted us to get better and become a Notre Dame. During the Lavel years, I felt my dreams for our Cougars had come true. In the post Lavel years, I have tried desperately to get back to the goals that we reached in the 1980’s. I just want us to be all that we can be. I want us to be loved and respected. (for some that may never happen) (for others, everyone loves a winner). I really 100% support approaching a P5 Independent type schedule, even if it means winning far less games and instead of automatic conference championship among the G5, instead we now hope for a winning schedule with our new SOS, and I am Okay with that. My may goal is to have BYU be all that it deserves and can be.

" it can be taken to extremes and become unhealthy for fan and participant alike" Yes Sundance, I do agree with you, but I don’t limit that diagnosis to just sports, but instead I find that to be true in almost all that we do. Thank you for your implied friendship. I value and I appreciate very much having it. /thank you.

Ron

Obviously living during a historical time is more valuable than looking back on it in a historical context. People were much different in the early to mid 1900’s, because they were faced with a different set of circumstances. Even more in the JS
Era. People tended to be more racist as a group than they are today. In the 1800’s, a select group of people debated the fact that black people had souls, thus treating them poorly was not a major concern to them. History is certainly fascinating, but at times grossly inaccurate. I don’t get too caught up in debates about the issues of why it took so long for blacks to receive the priesthood or Noah’s flood, or Moses. A lot of history was oral history, passed down through the years. The question is "was the Joseph Smith Vision real and were Oliver and Joseph given the priesthood by divine authority through ancient apostles. If the answer to this is yes, then the gospel is true and all questions will ultimately be answered and everyone will be judged by their own peculiar circumstances which were inherent at the time they dwelt here. I love BYU and their athletic programs. I believe the athletes that come to BYU are for the most part, well rounded individuals in more ways different than the atypical college athlete and have a firmer grasp on the true Christ mission that has been put in place.

What year did this happen Ronald?
Second, People in the church makes mistakes, and not always follow policy… The church has never as far as I know told members where to go to church, In the area where I was converted we had black families (before 1978), Latino families, and of course white families…

Maybe it is because it is California, that these things happened… Who knows?

Here is your problem Ronald, you are still living in the 1950’s…

I can not tell you why things happens, I know as Elder Uechtdorf said in conference, the people in the church makes mistakes, they are human…

I have family from the deep south, talk about bad things happening, even with members of the church. I have seen and heard things myself that would terrify most members of the church today… But I do not hold onto the past, I let it go.

That is why I learned very young, to separate the Gospel of Christ from the Church as an organization, this was just reconfirmed to me in one our previous conferences. the Gospel is perfect, the church is imperfect, because it is run by man (day to day operations and policies)… Not sure what else can be said.

Ronald, no one said you are stupid, nor did they imply that… We don’t think you are stupid… just to clear that point up.

What you have is a difference of opinion… entirely different.

Second, having a Masters means nothing to me… It just means that you spent more time in college than I did.

The reason I say you are projecting what you feel to what President Kimball did about the blacks and the priesthood is that there is “No documentation” as to the personal feelings of President Kimball about this issue.

As president of the church, President Kimball emphasized in a 1973 press conference that the ban was " I am not sure that there will be a change, although there could be. We are under the dictates of our Heavenly Father, and this is not my policy or the Church’s policy. It is the policy of the Lord who has established it, and I know of no change, although we are subject to revelations of the Lord in case he should ever wish to make a change."

What is written, is that President Kimball was concerned about the problem of determining priesthood eligibility in Brazil was thought to be nearly impossible due to the mixing of the races in that country.

When the temple was announced, church leaders realized the difficulty of restricting persons with African descent from attending the temple in Brazil.

That is what started President Kimball about asking the Lord to make the change… not because of the reasons you stated.

This is how “First Hand” accounts recall that event "After much discussion among the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on this matter, they engaged the Lord in prayer. According to the writing of Bruce R. McConkie, “It was during this prayer that the revelation came. The Spirit of the Lord rested upon us all; we felt something akin to what happened on the day of Pentecost and at the Kirtland Temple. From the midst of eternity, the voice of God, conveyed by the power of the Spirit, spoke to his prophet. The message was that the time had now come to offer the fullness of the everlasting gospel, including celestial marriage, and the priesthood, and the blessings of the temple, to all men, without reference to race or color, solely on the basis of personal worthiness.”

based on all this information, is why I think you are projecting your feelings about the ban on what you believe President Kimball felt about the ban…

Everyone is entitled to their views, I have no right to say you are right or wrong… that is not my stewardship, but I do have a right to help you see something different, by providing you additional information… then it is up to you to determine what you believe.

Floyd,

My problem, as you say, probably goes deeper than you suggest.
And—instead of letting go of the past, I try to learn from the past.

When what you learn in Church to be the truth, and find out decades later,
that it was never Gospel, or it was just procedure , or that it was just somebodies
opinion,(that was never corrected for decades), than this lesson of the past
teaches me, that perhaps, if something does not seem right to us,
we should now ask for Chapter and verse in the DC and/or the Bible that
tells us what we are doing is correct.

The Branches for Latino’s were never doctrine, but only procedure.
The Black issues, never had any doctrine to back our behavior.
TheLGBT community seems to be our new target. We should be told the Chapter, and the verse and
in which book of the DC and/or the Bible. I am afraid that more decades will go by before this issue LGBT issue is resolved,
like it took decades to resolve the Latino and the Black issues. (Never had any real DC or Bible reference for it).

So many teachings of yester-year that no longer seems important today, makes one wonder if the teachings of today,
will also have less importance in decades to come.

Cokes in the early days was just as bad as coffee and tea, yet today, we put the old rules aside by saying that there has
never been any written rules against coke and it was only procedure and/or opinion of that day. Who today can honestly say
that decades from now, it will not be determined that the LGBT community never had any scripture against it and that what was happening
was only a matter of opinion. I believe that Book, ( DC and/or Bible) Book within, Chapter and verse should be sited and discussed and intrepeted
as to if we are acting from doctrine, or procedure, or opinion. Back in the old days, that you think that I should forget, there was much that we
thought came from the profit that decades later said that there was no evidence of the subject ever being doctrine. (coke etc.)

What if the good German citizens of the 1930’s and 40’s would have spoke up and questioned the actions of the Nazzi party. Would
approximately 5 million jews have been saved? What if someone would have——never mind Floyd, you will have an answer that satisfies
the status quo no matter what I say. We will forever have a difference of opinion in these areas, but I do home that we can disagree and
be friends at the same time. I do like you.

Ron

Floyd,

I always learn much good scripture and recorded history from you and indeed I am grateful for that.

You do have far more facts than I. As I have far more early history experience than you.

Perhaps, if we were both willing, we could blend the experience of the past wth the written history, as we read it today, of the past, and come up with something that may be much more acceptable to those of us that have perhaps lost some, not all, but some of the ability, to accept all things told to us in Church.

your friend,

Ron

Ronald, if this happened, then you are part of the problem… You see Brigham Young taught that we should never accept what the brethren say, without getting our own testimony of that issue.

I also thing (this is based on my dealing with my 92 yr. old mother and 89 year old mother in law) that back “in the day”, members seemed to be more like sheep follower the leaders, than like today, where people question things. Not sure of the culture, because non of my family at the time were members.

But reading and listening to my landlord many years ago (he was a direct descendant of BY through his second wife) the mentality of the saints were more accepting and less questioning. What was a treat for me was that my landlord had “Church” books written by the authorities from between 1900-1940. Most of it is not in print anymore. Learn some interesting things.

The issue with gay marriage and their lifestyle and the stance the church takes is not because the LBGT is the “New” target as you suggest. The church stance is based on SCRIPTURE found in all four standard works. The gay lifestyle has always been against God’s commandments AND he has always sent his prophet to testify that the lifestyle is against God’s ways…

What I find interesting is that you talk about Good Germans not standing up to the Nazi’s and yet, you chide the church for standing up against an evil practice (as defined by scripture). Can’t have it both way, dude.

As for the Germans, Hitler was brilliant, in how he came to power and suckered the people of Germany. Instead of simply “Taking” power, he did as the BOM says “he slowly lead them down the path to hell” by having them focus on other people (it was not just the Jews that were targeted) as the cause of their problems.

That is why the Lord has always asked us to verify through study and prayer in dealing with situations in our lives.

One thing you should also remember, the Lord teaches Line upon Line, precept upon precept… It is my belief that the Lord withheld certain things for the simple reason that the people at the time could not handle the doctrine or issue at the time. They had to progress to get to a point for the revelation to be dispensed.

The prime example of that was the 76 section of the Doctrine and Covenants… It was revealed in 1832, but was not taught until around 1842 or so… The people were not ready for that doctrine.

I think a lot of your issues stems from a couple of things:

1. People seem to accept anything and everything the GA’s spoke as “The word of the Lord” regardless of what was said (Think President Benson personal views on Politics),
  2. Some things were withheld because the people were not ready for it.
  3. People are lazy in general and do not want to do there research with verification coming through the spirit.

I like what Sundance said " A lot of history was oral history, passed down through the years. The question is “was the Joseph Smith Vision real and were Oliver and Joseph given the priesthood by divine authority through ancient apostles.”

What really matters:
Was Joseph Smith a Prophet?
Is the Restored Church on the earth?
Is the Book of Mormon the word of God?

Everything is “fluff” and the Lord will deal with it in his time and in his ways…

Ron,
I did read a lot of Church history, but not just from the LDS viewpoint… I read it from all sides, trying to find what really happened.

My views are also of one who grew up in an LDS area and was one of few families that were NOT LDS… So I know how some members (including leaders) treat people unfairly.

I try to let people live their lives as they choose, no condemnation or ill treatment on my part. I expect people to do the same for me.

That is how I roll…

Floyd: (Answers to your last post.)

Floyd:

" Ronald, if this happened, then you are part of the problem… "

Ronald:
I totally admit that I am part of the problem, because I was one in Church that taught to to the younger kids those thing that I had been taught, that decades later, not immediately, but decades later, that this was never gospel. This was only procedure or worse yet, just someone’s opinion that got out of control Church wide, where ever you went. Those opinions were not corrected right away, but instead, it took decades. Why?

Floyd:
You see Brigham Young taught that we should never accept what the brethren say, without getting our own testimony of that issue.

Ron: Good point Floyd. I use to have a strong testimony that all that I learned in Church either came from the DC or the Bible or from the GA’s. But after, on several different issues, we were told decades later, that this was never gospel, it was only procedure, of worse yet, it was just someone’s opinion that spread Church wide, but none the less, was never Gospel. Now, I have adopted the much less happy way of believing, by asking, which book, the DC or the Bible, or both, Book; Which Book within the book? Which chapter and verse? (on issues like the LGBT issues). Nobody has pinned that down for me yet, but if anyone can, I do have faith in you Floyd, that you can and will. Thank you in advance, knowing that it is coming.

Floyd:
I also thing (this is based on my dealing with my 92 yr. old mother and 89 year old mother in law) that back “in the day”, members seemed to be more like sheep follower the leaders, than like today, where people question things. Not sure of the culture, because non of my family at the time were members.

Ron:
I totally agree with you Floyd. We were all like sheep, believing, accepting, having faith and testimony that all that we learned in Church was indeed true without question. (Those were the wonderful years that gave us that fantastic testimony) Now, those of us that are still alive, have very sadly learned that we were foolish. How sad. We have learned that we must question. How sad.
It was much more satisfy that we knew that if anything was not true, we would be told so in short time and not decades later.

Floyd:
But reading and listening to my landlord many years ago (he was a direct descendant of BY through his second wife) the mentality of the saints were more accepting and less questioning. What was a treat for me was that my landlord had “Church” books written by the authorities from between 1900-1940. Most of it is not in print anymore. Learn some interesting things.

Ron: Awe yes, I remember it well. Pearl of Great Price, Added Upon, The First Two Thousand Years, etc, etc, I had them all also. Since then, I have passed them onto my Children. I cherish those books and those times and I cherish the times that the GA’s came into our home to visit with my father in law, when we were getting close to having 2 million members word wide, when the father in law was the Bishop that started the Eastmont ward and the East Los Angeles Stake while being Bishop for 13 years.
With your experience as stated above, you must at least have some empathy for me as you have experience the faith we had back then through the older people of my generation that you talked to.
Not many of us are still alive to tell our story. Perhaps that is good. Perhaps in another very short few years we will all be gone and that will be the end of the story. Be patient.

Where much is given, much is expected.

Back than., we expected that everything that we learned in Church was true and not just procedure or somebodies opinion. We knew, like the Wilshire Sacrament story, that I recently told you about, that if something was not correct, than it would be corrected immediately and not wait for decades later to tell us that it was not correct.

Floyd:
The issue with gay marriage and their lifestyle and the stance the church takes is not because the LBGT is the “New” target as you suggest. The church stance is based on SCRIPTURE found in all four standard works. The gay lifestyle has always been against God’s commandments AND he has always sent his prophet to testify that the lifestyle is against God’s ways…

Ron:
When I asked anyone, (many others), I always get the same answer as you just gave.
My request to each now, is, Please list in the Bible, the many different Books, Chapters and verse telling us that our procedures are correct regarding that LGBT issue. Next, give me all the books, chapters and verse, in the DC that tells us that our procedures in dealing with the LGBAT community is correct.
Next, tell me where I can find the printed message where the GA’s are quoted directly as to the procedure comes from God, regarding the way we handle the LGBT community. If you do not want to post it on this site, I can agree that it may not be appropriate since this is a site for football, but I would like very much the information sent to my email at: [email protected], or, if you would rather post it here, I have no objection at all. If indeed, you can give me the requested information, it may help in keeping my mouth and print quiet and I can quit worrying about what we are doing to these people , but until than, there is an alarming amount of suicides among our LDS LGBT community per capita compared to any other group. If this is just opinion, or if it is just procedure, it is a terrible waste of life. If it is of God, it is almost like we are going back to the old testament days. For the record, there has never been anyone more straight then I am.

Floyd"
What I find interesting is that you talk about Good Germans not standing up to the Nazi’s and yet, you chide the church for standing up against an evil practice (as defined by scripture). Can’t have it both way, dude.

Ron:
I respectfully believe that you are missing the point Floyd. (As I sometimes miss your point), There are good LDS that still believe like we did back in the 30.s 40’s an 50’s, that, as you said in earlier postings, that followed like sheep without questioning. There were those good Germans that did the same. In both cases, they were good people. I am sure that in each case, there may have been not so good people also, but I prefer to keep this as positive as possible. I am in no way defending Germany or their bad actions dealing with the Jews.
Where as the Germans may have spoken up and saved lives, also the LDS may need to speak up and questions until we are sure, with evidence,that which is doctrine, vs that which is procedure, that which is opinion and than proceed from there in all matters that tend to have a very negative affect on others not of our flock.

Floyd:
As for the Germans, Hitler was brilliant, in how he came to power and suckered the people of Germany. Instead of simply “Taking” power, he did as the BOM says “he slowly lead them down the path to hell” by having them focus on other people (it was not just the Jews that were targeted) as the cause of their problems.

Ron:
I totally agree with you. I just don’t want to have any similarities among us.

Floyd:
That is why the Lord has always asked us to verify through study and prayer in dealing with situations in our lives.

Ron:
Again, I totally agree with you and that is what I am trying to do now. I want verification and not just opinion and not just procedure talk, but verification. Thank you again.

Floyd:
One thing you should also remember, the Lord teaches Line upon Line, precept upon precept… It is my belief that the Lord withheld certain things for the simple reason that the people at the time could not handle the doctrine or issue at the time. They had to progress to get to a point for the revelation to be dispensed. The prime example of that was the 76 section of the Doctrine and Covenants… It was revealed in 1832, but was not taught until around 1842 or so… The people were not ready for that doctrine.

Ron: If section 76 DC was revealed in 1832, but not taught until 1842, and that section is indeed, all about the LGBT than I must say that I had never heard it taught before until just before California’s Prop 8 mess. I do not remember that section. is it indeed about the LGBYT community???

Floyd:
I think a lot of your issues stems from a couple of things:

1. People seem to accept anything and everything the GA’s spoke as “The word of the Lord” regardless of what was said (Think President Benson personal views on Politics),
  2. Some things were withheld because the people were not ready for it.
  3. People are lazy in general and do not want to do there research with verification coming through the spirit.

Ron:
I found 3 of your 4 things,
#1 I totally agree that this is the way it use to be. I totally loved the trust, the testimony, that we use to have put into all that was taught to us. Needing to research to find now if something is Gospel, Procedure or opinion, is not nearly as fulfilling, but now, unfortunately, it is needed. #2 I find that hard to believe. God did not withhold the Human Sacrifices advocated in the old testimony. Why would he withhold much lesser things? #3 I do agree that at least in part. I am very guilty, not because I don’t like to do research, I do a lot of it, however, the research which you are talking about does not seem, at the time, to be as urgent, as the other type of research that I am doing at the time. #4, Floyd, I could not find your #4. Sorry.

Floyd:
I like what Sundance said " A lot of history was oral history, passed down through the years.

Ron: Was this referring to Folklore?

Floyd:
The question is “was the Joseph Smith Vision real and were Oliver and Joseph given the priesthood by divine authority through ancient apostles.”

Ron: This has not come into question; The question now, that never use to be, is “are all demands that we put onto others, Gospel, Procedure, or Opinion,” and can we back it up in writing from the Bible and/or the DC? If so, name the book. Name the book within the book and give chapter and verse, Otherwise, we may be guilty of what you suggested way above in your posting.

Floyd:
What really matters:
Was Joseph Smith a Prophet?
Is the Restored Church on the earth?
Is the Book of Mormon the word of God?

Ron:, Those things in print, and deemed in print to be Gospel, I do still believe in. That is not the issue.
The issue are those things not in print that we are not sure if it is doctrine, procedure of opinion.

Floyd:
Everything is “fluff” and the Lord will deal with it in his time and in his ways…

Ron" Everything is fluff if you were not Latino back than or Black back then or part of the LGBT community now. If you are or have been, these issues are far more than just fluff.

I continue to thank you Floyd for all of your information and for all the good that you do in the different various Church organizations. I thank you for your testimony and for all the good that you do. I thank you for continuing to be the defender of the faith. You are indeed a good man and I do respect you. I hope that our differences of opinion, do not keep us from being friends. I do need your support.

I think that most changes that were made in the Church, were for the Good. I do wish the Church would have accepted the responsibility either for making the changes, or for waiting decades before making the changes. I think that the GA investors in the Coca Cola Company would have been much more sensitive if they would have waited just a few more years, until we die, that were taught, that Coke was just as bad as coffee and tea, and that the only reason it is not in print, is that the company was not around when the Word of Wisdom was put in print.

Of cours not. Why should you find this in print? This is not doctrine. This is life experience

Ron

Floyd,

Regarding, I did read a lot of Church history, but not just from the LDS viewpoint… I read it from all sides, trying to find what really happened."

Since I first starting reading your postings, many years ago, I have always respected you and appreciated you and I still do. I appreciate all the good you do in all the organizations that you have an active part in, and still have time to do all the Church research that you do. I do admire and I do respect that. You would fit into the family of my oldest daughter who is married to a man that was also a Bishop and their whole life, soul, and meaningful daily activity is in the Church and I am grateful for that. I am not the enemy.
When I hear you speak, I have already heard it from my children. When I hear my children speak, I have already heard it from you. Thank you for all that you do.

The number 1 response I have is why don’t you guys take this to another topic section since this section is dedicated to football.

**I have many other responses but upon typing the above sentence I have concluded that it would be a waste of my time and effort because nothing I write nor nothing any of us writes will make this all better. All of us, live our lives to the best principles and doctrines of the gospel, in prayer and long suffering, all the while remembering that we are children of our Heavenly Father and what will He says to each one of us about our PERSONAL dealings with our brothers and sisters will be heavy and telling.

The Church is imperfect because it is populated by imperfect members and imperfect leaders. But we are all influenced by the culture that we live in or grow up in and the culture of the family that you grow up in. I have worked at a Historical Black University and experienced what you might call reverse racial discrimination. I am a caucasian. I have worked in many poverty programs and administered government work programs in my lifetime. In the 1950’s and 1960’s I saw great progress in the black race until the welfare programs came in in the mid-1960’s. Up to then most black men were quite responsible and supported their families marriage between one man and one woman.They were generally good fathers and in the military there were generally good troops. In the Marine Corps we were generally equals and what we used to call “foxhole buddies.” Then the 1960’s social upheaval and Civil Rights laws and the black radicals were influenced by what was happening during the Vietnam Era and the radical revolutions. Also the others races were influenced by the 1960’s “social justice” activities of the left and our society changed drastically. Marriage came under attack, the sexual revolution came along and single parenting began to affect society. Ever since or society was much more split, personal responsibility began to wain. Statistics tell the story of the rise of single parenting, the loss of the percentage of nuclear families and the loss of fathers in the home in all races. Today our country is more divided politically, economically, racially and in many ways than at any time since the beginning of the Civil War. The prophecies of the scriptures and from prophets has all come true since the 1960’s. Even the LDS Church is split among the sexes, philosophies, and socially more than since the late 19th century. Then like all of society the Church is split by sexual preference today and by different life styles.

1 Like

Great post Roy. Sorry I followed the trend that bent away from football. You are right about the need for us to keep on subject, i.e. FOOTBALL.

yea…but right now is the dull drums for Football… which should start up in a week or two…

So, while this is a football thread, was there anything really to talk about football, right now? No…

So I do not see why this would be an issue at THIS TIME??? Just me…

Not sure who is in the SL valley area, but there is so much negative vibes about BYU football right now because of last season… So do we talk about that?