The Boys Scouts of America and Gay Leadership

No angst or anger, we have talked a lot about this over the years. The one area he isn’t very comfortable with about being a GA. But his non disclosure prevents him from talking too much about specifics, even to family members.

Non-disclosure. LOL!!! You are too funny! Never stopped any of the other colorful GA’s in the past. Face it, you are wrong about this. You miss-read the article and are still too prideful to admit your error…

Grasshopper: What I disagree with is the notion that all boys are supposed to be in the scouting program as the main part of the Young Men’s program. But the BSA is a separate program than the Priesthood in the Church. I have been a Cubmaster, Committee Chair in both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts and a Wbeloes Den Leader as well as have served on many Troop and Pack Committees, been a Merit Badge Counselor, etc, etc. I know for a fact that many boys and families do not want to participate in the BSA program. But if they do not, the boy misses a lot of the YM program activities. To me, this is the main issue with the BSA and scouting in the Church. If Wards/Branches sponsored Packs and Troops like most non-LDS churches, it would be a volunteer activity. Hence it wouldn’t affect the activities of a boy in the Young Men’s program.

I think those who don’t want to participate in scouting won’t participate in other activities either that they don’t like. Like going to seminary. Scouting is an activity arm of the YM program. But, how many different activity arms should a ward have for the youth? Many wards can barely staff YM and scouting. If people don’t want to participate so what? Don’t particiate. But don’t complain either.

Tx Coug…

From what I understand (I could be wrong) but BSA is only one night out of the month. The other 3 weeks are for activities that have a Priesthood purpose. So I am not sure why you think the kids would miss out on much. IF they choose not to come on Scout night… then they don’t participate. If they don’t go on Campouts, then maybe they don’t care.

Like you I have had many callings in the Scout Program, I have had several kids that chose not to participate in Scouting (mostly because they did not like the outdoors type activities). No problem, the rest of the time they came and participated in the Priesthood activities.

Personally, I think parents need to get a clue… YM/YW is not a “required attendance” in our Church. It is more of a social pressure type attendance “what would my neighbors think if my children did not go to YM?”…the parents have also made it into a defacto babysitting tool.

There are only two meetings required by the church to attend SACRAMENT and for the Men - Priesthood… the other meetings are encouraged, but not required.

I know families that are very active, yet none of their children EVER went to YM/YW, instead they developed their family bonds… The comments I heard was pretty funny considering that we all have the right to choose.

I have seen so many boys get emotional and verbally abused by Scout Leaders because they “don’t fit the mode” of a scout. Some kids don’t like being outdoors. They prefer the tech world instead.

What parents should really do is what is in the best interest of their children, if that means Scout attendance fine, if that mean not going to YM, fine… The whole church is based on FAMILIES … NOT Scouting…

1 Like

Way to go Scott… making blanket comments again…

How do you know that Scott? Most people who do participate in Scouts is for one of two reasons… 1) They don’t like activities outdoor 2) the program has some issues that makes it not fun to attend.

Scott… just because someone does not like something (like Scouts) does not mean that they won’t attend other things they don’t like… I know plenty of kids that don’t go to scouting and yet enjoy doing the YM activities.

Funny how I’m supporting your points and you just have to find something to argue with me. Just because someone is as old as you doesn’t mean they are grown up. Grow up! :slight_smile:

I understand that, I just don’t like it when you make blanket statements…

You make plenty of blanket statements all the time. So does everyone else.

Good post Floyd. I think that you and I are pretty much in agreement about scouts and the Church. I for sure am an old scouter, but I am afraid that the BSA is going down the slippery slope of political correctness concerning homosexuality. This is not the route of the LDS Church and I believe that if and when, possibly soon, if the BSA tales homosexuals in as BSA leaders, it is then time for the LDS Church to leave the BSA. This has been a bittersweet experience for me, but if it comes to that, then adios BSA.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865629586/Elder-Holland-accepts-key-Scouting-assignment.html

Looks like the church is trying to work this from the inside to keep it alive. I question the motives, and the involvement with such a corrupt organization, but the brethren must feel it’s worth the risk to continue down this path.

Tell us about the question concerning the motives the Church has. I take it you think the Church is corrupt…

My point is that the BSA is headed down a slippery slope. The Church Boy Scouts do more than one night a month. There are the camp outs, summer camp, leadership camps, and Troop meetings, etc, etc. If one is a Scout one has to devote much time and effort to do it right. My point is when and where the LDS Church will pull the plug on the BSA.

Dude…

I understand what you are saying, but please tell us how this “corrupt” organization is any different than any other organization out there? Seriously, I don’t always agree with how an organization chooses to spend the revenue they bring in, etc. but if you are going to call out the BSA, then you need to give equal time to EVERY other organization out there that is much worse than the BSA is.

It’s hypocritical not to…

I think this would be a valid point if there were topics regarding other organizations where he failed to call out the corrupt practices of those organizations.
KC didn’t start this topic, he simply commented about what he thought of the organization being discussed. The fact that he has not commented in this thread about the corrupt practices of ISIS does not invalidate his opinions regarding the BSA.

1 Like

Bro, start a thread about another corrupt organization and I will. This one was about the BSA, why would you expect me to also lump in other corruption when the topic is BSA???

I have had this ongoing feeling that I am really close to being done with this site. It has been lingering for a month or so.

Maybe it is the slow down aspect of this time of year or maybe it is just that I am tired of the same rhetoric and nonsense from a bunch of posters who are completely lacking in any way, shape or form the ability to see or understand and accept a different perspective than the one they are so accustomed to having entrenched themselves in. In other words, no matter what they read, see or hear, they are going to believe the way they always have believed.

This happened once before, about 2 years ago, but I came back after being away for a few months.

I’m not sure I can or will come back this time…

The BSA started to lose its way when it caved to the pressure of homosexual groups. The BSA’s little concession a few years ago will never be enough. When you give in to political pressure. even a little, there will be more pressure until those who want you to conform to their principles, or lack thereof, get everything they want and then your organization becomes something entirely different than what it once was. I don’t blame some Christian organizations for leaving the BSA and forming their own groups. I wondered if the church would follow suit but they did not and I accepted the Church’s explanation. I suspect if the BSA caves any further to the pressures of these groups, whose purpose is to legitimize sexual deviance, then the church will withdraw from the BSA, however, I am not in the habit of predicting what The Church will do, criticizing what the leaders do, or attempting to promote change within The Church. The inspired leadership of The Church will follow the will of The Lord.

I have served as a volunteer scout leader in a few capacities, in church callings, but not for about 6-7 years or so. It is, or was a wonderful organization. The idea behind scouting was noble and it will only be destroyed by those who would erode the principles behind its founding. If it is an evil organization corrupted by money, which I doubt, then maybe this coincides with the erosion of their principles in not insisting on its members being morally straight. We now live in a era where good is called evil and evil good and the gay lobby would, with great irony, call any organization, or person, evil that opposes their agenda. The BSA was something almost entirely good, but if they continue to compromise their principles they will become something common and no better than any other organization.

I think this stink about the BSA being corrupted by money, and led by criminals, is much ado about nothing. There are bad people who get involved in good things and take advantage of it for personal gain. That even happens in The Church but those who use the church for personal gain are generally weeded out. A few bad apples doesn’t make the entire organization evil. I am far more concerned about the BSA moving away from the noble principles stated in the Scout Oath, The Scout Motto, The Scout Slogan, and the Scout Law. Once those things are eroded it will become a very common camping club, and social organization, not worthy of the Church’s support.

1 Like

I can understand different perspectives. But, why does anyone have to accept someone else’s perspective? I disagree with KC on several levels. But, I don’t expect that he will always or even sometimes accept my perspective. But, it gives him some other food for thought. Same with yours. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t keep giving your perspective. patience, long suffering etc…Relax, only what 94 days to go until kickoff :slight_smile:

Good post Floyd about who wants to do what with scouting in the LDS Church. I know that scouting in or out of the Church takes more than one night of the month, i.e. Troop/Pack monthly meeting. Some kids and some parents do not prefer scouting over other activities or their family activities. I do believe that a kid who does not go into scouting might be missing something or might be on the outside of the social group in a Ward or Branch because the kid misses a lot of time being with the rest of the male youth in the Troop or Pack in an LDS Ward or Branch.
My original post at the beginning of this subject was the concern about the LGBT push for active membership in the adult leadership in scouting and how it will affect the LDS Church scouting program. I am glad that a very healthy give and take occurred on this subject on this Board… The world is a changing for sure. My days in scouting are pretty much over, except for attending some Eagle ceremonies or possibly doing some merit badge counseling. I have been signed up for merit badges, but haven’t been asked to participate in specific events for several years in the Wards that I am a member of. Lately our local Scout Committees in the Church have asked for the parents of current scouts to participate on the committee. It leaves out us empty-nestors, which I guess I am getting used to it. I do a see a need for the parents of scouts participating on the Committee as a good thing. It hopefully gets more parents exposed to scouting and gets them involved if they want to participate. Just like every thing else, Well we shall see.