Tanner Mangum, Taysom Hill problem

Your post makes a lot of sense.

Mangum has looked stiff and scared this year. He hasnā€™t showed much quickness. He looks frozen out there on the field this year.

Jim H: The word ā€œroboticā€ seems very appropriate as to how Tanner Mangum has looked this year. I thought that Beau Hoge looked like he had some ā€œquicknessā€ against Wisconsin, much faster than Mangum has looked in the first three games. Last year sitting really hurt him. Hopefully sitting for a while and recovering from his injury will give him time to watch the game from the sidelines and give him a new perspective.

John: Good post. BYU has time to regroup with this bye week. Hoge needs to get more reps in the bye week. I hope that the team can heal up and get lots of rest and more reps with Hoge. I agree with most of your comments.

Very much so!!!

do we have a source? I find that hard to believe

You have never heard a football coach or a member of the church drop F-bombs?

Sorry, I canā€™t hear or see anything when comes to coaches cussing. :smile:

well good for Bronco. I guess he is speaking Virginian now. I never thought in a million years that he would get VAā€™s attention by spouting the 5 priorities ahead of football that a young man should have in his life. I was wrong about him.

Bronco is turning the VA program around one F bomb at a time.
Way to go, Bro.

2 Likes

Well, he didnā€™t want that GA calling anyways :-/~

Think he went home and dropped some F bombs too?

I like Mangum. I like Hill. I wish both of them well.

Injuries was Hillā€™s biggest problem, but so far, he s looking very good in the NFL. If he can stay healthy, he will become a great NFL QB. We had no choice other than to keep him as a starter when he was healthy.

One of Magnums greatest attributes is also one of his biggest downfalls. He is even tempered with no ups and downs, and one might say, no fight in him. You have to love him for that quality, but also realize that a more energized QB will get the job.

Good points on Mangum. He didnā€™t seem to have the fight in him last year. My guess is that he got downtrodden when he was relegated to backup in his second year when Hill was given the starter role. He never seemed to recover from it. Sorry for him, but I would rather see someone else as the starter like Hoge or Joe from Tennessee

texcoug,

I thought that Tanner gave us more information than we needed to know, and would have been better off not telling us, in regards to his bouts with depression.

Your point about Hodge and Joe are in a good place now for the job, however, I believe that
Zach Wilson, Beau Hodge, and Critchlow are the three that will challenge Tanner when we get to Fall Camp.

Our leading receivers, at this point at the end of the first of 3 weeks in Spring camp, are pretty much narrowed down to : junior Micah Simon, and Akile Davis has been one of the pleasant surprises of camp.

Other wide receivers include:

Aleva Hifo, 
Inoke Lotulelei, 
and redshirt freshman Tariq Buchanan.

I get my information and opinion from an interview with Sitake for Cougar Sports with Ben Criddle on ESPN 960 AM, the home for Cougar Sports Wire! 3/19/18

Are you saying Tanner is out? I havenā€™t heard anythingā€¦

No grasshopper,

I am definitely not saying that Tanner is out. What I am saying is that his spot at #1 has not yet been determined and that the others mentioned will be challenging him for that #1 spot.

It is my opinion, with no facts to back it up, that Tanner will be #1, or 2 or 3 and probably #1, but it has not yet been determined.

Ron

grasshopper,
according to Desert News:

" Heading into the final week of spring ball, junior Beau Hoge, sophomore Joe Critchlow and freshman Zach Wilson have been getting all of the reps. The starter is expected be determined during fall camp.

My opinion:

Tanner Magnum is not yet healthy, and while expected to be healthy by Fall Camp, it is not guaranteed and we must be prepared for the worse and not the best case scenario. I believe that if Tanner is healthy and has not missed out on too much by not being completely healthy for Spring Camp, than Tanner will be the one for the other three to beat out in fall camp.

On the other hand, if Tanner missed too much training, as the other 3 gained much by the Spring camp training, it may be tanner that must beat out the other 3. At this point, I donā€™t think that the QB coach or the OC even knows yet how it will turn out. Fall Camp will tell. Remember, this is just my opinion with no evidence to back it up.

Ron

I will say that I will be surprised if Tanner is the starting QB this year. Crit and Hodge in that order would be my pick.

thawk,

Putting Tanner back in the mix, due to recovery from injury in Fall camp, I would not be surprise nor disappointed in whom ever of the (3+1=4) would be the starter, the back up, the scout team, or left out. At this point, all else being equal, with no injuries, each of the 3+1=4, has an equal chance. They have separated themselves from the rest, but not from each other. (This is my opinion with no evidence to back it up).

Ron

I agree with your three QBā€™s. I am not very sure about Tanner. I really like Critchlow, good size and strength, Hodge will be right in there. Those two are our best chance for success. Sorry Tanner, you have to show me, early on and quickly. Wilson is a big question. A true freshman, maybe a year or two away.