Tanner Mangum, Taysom Hill problem

So, there are likely a lot of BYU fans wondering what has happened to Tanner Mangum. I believe it is no more complicated than realizing what playing one in five seasons has done to his football skills. The BYU coaching staff, particularly Sitake and Detmer, are reaping what they sowed with the Hill vs. Mangum decision last year. For instance: Imagine any of the recent great college QB’s - such as, say, Marcus Mariota, Andrew Luck, - any of the great college QB’s. Present the scenario that Mangum is in - " you are going to come out of high school, play one season in the next 5 seasons, and you are going to be this stellar, standout QB with a great NFL future". Think about that - the obvious answer is “that is a crazy idea!!” There is no way any QB in that situation is going to prosper. And yet, that is what some fans might expect should happen with Mangum. Now, some of you might want to point out certain individuals who have had this scenario and done well. But, for one thing, I am talking about a QB here - not other less “skilled positions”. And, I am focusing here on, again, The Mangum vs. Hill battle from last year. Imagine this: A QB, home only 3 months from his mission, comes in and has the year Mangum had in 2015, is named National Freshman of The Year, sets the all time passing yardage record for a BYU QB (which IS saying something for a passing school like BYU, right?!), and yet, the coaching staff is going to give the starting job to someone else?!! - THAT IS PURE INSANITY!! - especially to someone who has proven he has a glass leg. The future WAS Mangum, but not any longer. So, that is why I say they are reaping what they have sown. Mangum sat, effectively, for 2 years (OK, OK 20 months - except for the bowl game last year) after the 2015 season - before playing competitive football again. He sat - and rusted ,and lost his acumen and speed for the game. Hence, his mediocre play to this point. I told many people before this season started that, unfortunately, this is what was going to happen with Mangum. And sure enough… I had hoped that Mangum would do himself a favor, and transfer somewhere else in January 2015, so as to have the opportunity to sharpen his skills, etc. But, alas, here we sit with a QB who once was, but now better make sure he gets a good education.

Simply put, in other words, we are seeing so far why Hill started last year :wink:

That reiteration of the facts is utter nonsense. One year playing in 5 is, well, how do you do the math? Tanner had a decent year 2 years ago with way better receivers than we have now. He had one year off. That is it. Many players experience injuries that require them to sit out a year and they come back just as good or better. Frankly, Tanner set the freshman passing record because we almost never have freshman who play in very many games their freshman year. He didn’t set it because he was a great QB. He simply hasn’t showed the intangibles that it requires to be a D1 QB. I don’t think he will make it through the next 2 games. His career is probably over.

Simply put-he could be a good qb if he had all day to throw. Tanner is an Injury waiting to happen. I feel bad for him. He was highly touted coming out of high school, but this isn’t high school He had far better receivers his freshman year than he has now.
I’m guessing we will see Hoge Saturday and questions will be answered. I don’t expect BYU to win, but if the offense can play ball control. The defense can keep them in the game. I don’t believe Detmer is the problem. He is smart and can probably devise any offensive game plan he chooses. The problem is with the players on the field. If the OL can’t give Tanner 3-4 seconds in the pocket-he won’t be effective. Don’t blame Hill for Tanner being off. They are entirely different and Hill was a freak-They don’t come around often

Tanner has had mostly 3 to 4 seconds to pass in every game. He’s not had to scramble very much either. OL is okay.

you would not be alone in your assessment. I have talked to several football “heads” and agree with you that Tanner should have never sat…period.

I also know 1st hand that when Hill enters a room, everyone stops what they are doing and looks his way. How in the world do you not make him the starter if he is healthy? Sometimes you are damed if you do…

Hill, if healthy, could have been the best player in BYU history. He had that much athletic ability. He had a few games that were as good as any BYU player ever had. His two games against Texas were fantastic… He made some incredible plays against Virginia in Provo. I remember the one where he drug the big DB about 10 yards before he was brought down. He had great speed and strength and was a better passer than given credit for. He had a game against Houston where they shut down his running to a degree and he passed for over 400 yards. He was looking good throwing the ball against Nebraska two years ago until he was hurt.The problem was all the injuries. Last year he had obviously lost some speed and quickness and I think transitioning to a new offense hurt him. I loved HIll. Frankly I love mobile athletic quarterbacks and not all of them are injury prone either. Hill was the great what if in BYU athletic history. Like Luke Staley he couldn’t stay healthy.

I thought Mangum would be a great one as well. There is still hope. He still has most of two years left if they can get him some receivers, running backs, and a little better pass protection.

I thought the same thing too. I thought there was some potential for him to improve and be a great one. I have not liked anything I have seen from him this year. I hope it is just because he needs a running game, some receivers and better protection but even when he has some of those things he just doesn’t look comfortable. He is aiming his throws and they are not on target. He looks too robotic, no flow to his game.

I hope he turns it around but the start hasn’t been good.

could it also be that BYU played #13 LSU, top 20 Utah defense and #9 Wisconsin…?..everyone in the entire world needs to chill out.

I think people are overreacting to an extent, Fish, but it’s not that we lost to these teams, but that we were simply unable to generate any sustained offense. I get that we lost two very talented offensive players in Hill and Williams, plus a bevy of experienced receivers. Just hoped for more production–especially against Portland State.

The Utah State game will be very telling. If we win that, 8 wins could be a possibility. If we lose, I don’t think we’ll be in a bowl game. And I’m usually an optimist.

All that said, let’s give the coaches and players time to get this fixed. I am still optimistic about Sitake and crew. I believe they can and will turn things around.

I am not happy how things are going but sometime in one year we won’t do well which I am fine with that. Right now we just hope we start winning starting next week. It won’t be pretty when we face Mississippi State. BSU, we better be ready which I don’t like to lose again in our LES.
Who would ever thought Gordon Monson from SLTrip would make a big deal. Does he really care? Read his article if you care.

He is saying Ty Detmer is not the guy.
We just need to be patient.

Agree somewhat but I think John hit the nail with the Portland St. comment. What exactly has BYU done, in the first four games, that gives some hope for the rest of the season? Are there any bright spots? I see a couple of dim lights way off in the distance but that is about it.

Let’s be straight here… the team has looked pretty bad overall. I would be okay with losing, just like I always say, if the team were “COMPETITIVE” in any way shape or form. They haven’t been at this point.

I heard on the radio that BYU ranks #3 dead last out of all college football teams in offense generation. So we have major problems but I do think that our defense needs to step up and create some turnovers.

In my humble option, neither BYU’s defensive line or offensive line is doing the job. We get 0 push on rushing plays and our defense gets pushed 5 yards every time by the opponent.

The offense hasn’t been competitive. But the defense has had its moments of being good. The way we play against the pass doesn’t look good or right.
We had an opportunity to beat Utah. Dropped passes killed that and put Tanner in the position he was in that got him hurt.

Lots of long distance connecting of points here… BYU was dominated by Utah.

19-13 is no domination…we had a chance to win. And as with politics, Hillary may have had the popular total vote, but she lost. Had BYU scored, Utah would have had the total yardage and other stats on their side. But the only stat that counts is the final score :slight_smile:

Anybody watching Virginia @ Boise State game right now? Boise getter clobbered on their own Smurf Turf! Good to see Bronco M. getting this win for his program at Virginia.

1 Like

I’ve heard this more times than I can count when it comes to BYU winning…

Virginia is 3-1 and they put a beat down on Boise St. and their smurf turf.

BYU is 1-3 and has the opportunity to play Boise St. at home and get a good win.

It will be interesting to see what happens…

I know that Sitake is not “playing with his recruits” but neither is Mendenhall.

On another note, I heard Bronco dropped some F-bombs on his defense at halftime which is too bad but he is more like the rest of the coaches now. I guess football is still #5 on his priority list though…

Members cussing? Next thing you’ll see is BYU selling caffeinated Coke on campus… :wink: