St. Mary's game and no comments?

Was everyone out for date night?
I watched the game and the bottom line is if both Emery and Haws are not shooting well, we struggle on offense. Shooting percentage was again poor. Free throw shooting was poor.

Here’s the bottom line. Say what you want about the defense, our offensive scheme is just awful. We have the players that can be far more creative with. No cuts into the lane. No high low. Just the same old weave. Beo can’t get open to shoot. Guinn hardly does. Tonight, most had no open shots.
St. Mary’s ran the type of offense we should be running.

No date night! I’ve got the flu. I watched the game. I really don’t have much to comment on at this point of the season. Dave Rose sounded pretty down. The plan was to get the ball inside to Mika and try to neutrailize Landale who really hurt us at St. Marys. Mika succeeded in that but St Marys plays unselfishly, patient, and smart. It looked like BYU was a team of JV players compared to St Marys. You have to give them credit. St Marys wanted to shut down our guards and they did a good job of that. Their perimeter defense was very good. Our guards could never get into a rhythm. It was disappointing that we couldn’t compete with St Marys. You could tell Dave Rose was upset and didn’t want to talk much after the game. The injuries, lack of depth, etc. are all catching up with us. A lot of you guys have complained about Rose not giving other players playing time so they could develop. Rose admitted he should have brought more guys along earlier in the season. The starters were gassed. The lack of depth was a real issue tonight.

I hope Rose tries to develop more depth in the remaining games. There isn’t a whole lot remaining to play for at this point. Why not work to develop guys for next year. Although, I believe both Beo and Leifson will be leaving on missions.

San Diego did us a huge favor tonight by beating Santa Clara at their house

Shameful performance and effort. I honestly have a hard time watching this team. It makes me sick to my stomach to watch the way they play basketball. No effort, such overall selfish play… poor decision making overall and a mistaken belief that they are better than they show.

It just isn’t the case.

Honestly, I’m not really looking forward to next season. I am not a basketball expert but much of what I said early in the season is exactly what is still wrong with this team. There has been little to no improvement and I blame it mostly on the culture of the program currently. I know thawk said a lot of the same things and they are fully evident. If I was a new guy coming in I wouldn’t want to play with the LP3 and if I was a current guy and could leave on a mission I would in a heartbeat.

The main body of this team still believes they are in high school and think they can just step on the court and win games. There is no effort to learn or play defense, work as a team on offense, have patience, develop and improve.

It is really not fun to watch.

Just getting over a bug myself.
The players are gassed. Well, it’s because they gust run around in that weave until Mika or Childs gets the ball and then they stand around. That last turnover by Childs is a perfect example. Guinn should move to get an open passing lane in the corner where Childs threw the ball. But he just stands around. So, they get tired running the weave.
St. Mary’s defense wasn’t challenged. We are easy to defend with our offense. If we run the same offense St. Mary’s we too would score in the paint easier and have open shooters on the perimeter.
We again missed a lot of inside shots and free throws. More cutter plays or just a better offense scheme and we get a lot more open shots.

It isn’t LP3. It isn’t they are lazy. It isn’t selfish play.
Offense: Run a similar offense that St. Mary’s does ant the three problems listed above go away. It’s that simple. The weave just gets us tired. There is no cutters when Mika or Childs get the ball. The guards stand around. Change the offense and we get easier closer shots as well as open 3’s.
Defense: all players have to bulk up and have much more strength. The lack of strength causes slow reaction movement. Players don’t appear to know how to play weak side defense. But, as I have said before, just outscore the other team. So, back to fixing the offense.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

With such a bad offensive scheme, how do they win any games, much less win some games big? How do you explain a 16 point loss to Pepperdine, who scores 99 points but only musters 55 points in a 50 point loss to Santa Clara and 61 points in a 21 point loss to LMU? That sounds like defensive issues to me.

I’m not buying that it is all the offensive scheme. Yeah, I see how it stinks generally but how does it effect the defense in a negative way? ie. giving up 99 to Pepperdine or 114 to UVU? It is more complicated in my opinion. The situation is completely dysfunctional at this point and the season is pretty much over.

Terry Nashiff is in charge of coaching Rose’s offense. Rose thinks he’s a very talented coach when it comes to Xs and Os. I’m sure he could implement the St Marys offense although he may not be able to do it as well as Coach Bennet. But, its more than just having a good offensive scheme. The players have to be able to make good decisions. Colby Leifson gushed about how well St Marys players play the game. They make good decisions and are very unselfish. Winning is more important to them than padding their own stats. Its a good system and a good basketball culture. They spread you out on the floor by setting players up in both corners of the court. Naar was masterful with his decision making at the point. He would get the ball in the lane and if the defense didn’t collapse, he’d get a layup. If the defense did collapse, he’d kick it to the perimeter. Hermanson was a killer from the corner. They also ran high pick and roll plays at the top of the key. I saw Kaufusi get burned when he left the guy rolling to the basket to help double the guy running off the pick. It was like a JV team playing a varsity team. It is disheartening that these guys seem to have such a low basketball IQ. I’m picking on Kaufusi but there were others just as guilty. Yes, part of it is coaching but these guys have been coached all their lives practically and are making too many silly mental errors. I’m probably being too critical but its been a disappointing season. Is Rose recruiting the right guys for his system? Is his system fundamentally flawed? Is this coaching staff unable to teach the players how to run the offense/defense? Bottom-line, the buck stops with Rose. At some point, his players or fans or both will start to lose confidence. As Rose said last night, they are running out of time to get this thing turned around.

I have to admit that I only watched the better part of the first half and none of the second, as the play of this team is too frustrating to continue to watch and even remotely enjoy. Seldom have I felt so disappointed in BYU’s play. I don’t know if it’s a lack of talent or really bad coaching (or both), but I see a team that struggles to penetrate, doesn’t pass well, doesn’t shoot well, stands around, and runs a weave that leads to nothing. Likewise, the defense shows no will to stay in front of players, regardless of which defense is played, and guys are constantly out of position, jumping when feet should stay on the floor, running into screens rather than anticipating them and working through them, and on and on.

I can’t say it’s lack of hustle, in fact, I really don’t know what it is - but I believe my best evaluation is that these guys really lack in the fundamentals of team basketball and IQ. They play like the Hoosier team at the beginning of the movie, but regrettably Rose doesn’t seem to have what it takes to turn this around.

On the other hand, St. Mary’s play was top notch from an execution standpoint. A patient and hard working defensive team can and will take them down because they are not great athletes, but it takes great discipline to take them down - and that is not this BYU team.

I have to have something to cling to in BYU sports, so for now, it’s volleyball. Not a national glamor sport on the men’s side, but sure more fun to watch than basketball right now.

You don’t have to buy it. But it’s true. You change the offense and with their 19 win ability, they would have won 25 games. Not by their defense but through their offense by just out scoring their opponents.
More people in here are recognizing this fact. Our offense is easy to defend. Even when they double up on Mika because he has no cutters to pass to and the guards spot up and stand around. Same when Childs gets the ball. So, they force the ball. They score and are getting better because they end up working the hardest.
As far as the bench, Guinn and Beo have been getting more time and Beo still hasn’t been in any position to shoot. Although he could have a couple of times. Liefson manages to shoot a three and made it under pressure. Guinn shot his 3 three feet over the basket. I’m telling you these guys have stunk it up in practice too! That’s why they aren’t playing.

How did Naar get the ball in the lane? Not by dribbling. He got it by cutting and receiving the pass. The players at both corners didn’t just stand there for 20 seconds. When cutters cut, our defense sags and their players slide out to the corners or to the top of the key at 3 point range.
We rarely have a cutter unless a specific play is called. Maybe if our offense had cutters we could get open 3’s too. Maybe we could get uncontested layups or short flip shots too.

The program is unwatchable right now, and has been for a year or two. Lazy recruiting was called out by some fans years ago and we were laughed at and told to get real, look at all the local talent. The program lost the support of some of us when forced transfers and coaching styles and lazy recruiting began. I can’t wait till football starts again.

Hopper, again, don’t know what game your watching. Beo is open and the only one of the guards who understands floor spacing and being in shooting position ready for a pass at the 3 pt line. Don’t confuse not shooting with not ever being passed to. Haws, Emery and Bryant simply won’t pass the ball, 90%, of the time to anyone other than Mika. If any of our guards drive to the bucket they will not pass out to open teammates at the 3 line. In that sense, you are correct about the offense. A bunch of selfishness on display… By the starters minus Childs. They deserve to get beat, which they do with regularity now. Rose is responsible for making sure the stars make the extra pass, it isn’t important to him or the players so they will never make a sweet 16 or best good teams. Haws and Emery are ball hogs and Bryant is learning from them. Things will get worse before they get better.

If you think Beo is open you really need stronger glasses. He’s not open.

If you mean he is not open because he is in the Marriott Center with 10,000 other people, you are right!

If"not open" means not having a defender with in 8-10ft then you can easily go back on byutv and watch the few minutes Beo played and freeze the screen when BYU is on offense and see where Beo is when Haws, Emery and Bryant drive to the bucket. It isn’t just Beo. Other guards are open too, but no passes come inside out with this team. Big part of the offensive problem and a symptom of the selfishness on this roster.

So, I go back a bit in the 2nd half.

1. 14:58 - Beo gets ball in corner but doesn’t even square up to be a threat to shoot. He passes instead. Emery would have shot the ball.
  2. 12.55 - Haws drives to the paint. Beo to the novice looks open at the corner. But #3 on SM is keeping eye on him and could have deflected a pass attempt. Even if pass is made, #3 gets back on defense. Haws makes the right decision and drives in for a short shot but fouled. 2 FT. Right decision.
  3. 9:13 - Haws drives to the basket and lays it up and in. Beo is alone at top. Why pass it out when you have a sure 2 points? Good NO PASS.
  4. 8:47 - Bryant drives base line to basket. Beo appears open, maybe. Bryant DOES try to pass it to Beo. Ball is tipped by SM player out of bounds.
  5. 7:54 - Childs has ball at free FT line. Beo open in right side. Child shoots and misses. Wasn’t Haws or Emery and a 15ft open shot is better than a 23 ft shot.

In the 2nd half, there were a couple of times Beo would appear to be open 28 ft out but there was a SM player between ball and Beo not open. I could do the same analysis of the 1st half but why waste my time.
Beo does okay on defense. He plays weak side defense better than Emery. He doesn’t go too far into the lane and stays closer to the perimeter. However, he did one thing that I don’t like and that’s while playing D at the top he drops all the way to 6 ft in the lane when their post gets the ball leaving outside shooters open.

We are out coached and out recruited again or too many freshmen and soph players this year, yet the top of the league continues to get new players every year… BYU again seems to be third fiddle to Gonzaga and St Mary’s. Although there are a number of great players on this team we need a conductor for a better offense and defense. Will BYU ever considered recruiting Austratia or Europe?

It’s too bad we can’t get more of the top Mormon players to come to BYU. We get who we can get.

You like to focus on Beo because it is a distraction from what is really wrong with this team. If it was just the offensive scheme, they wouldn’t have games where some players have big scoring nights or the team scores a lot of points. The offensive scheme is only a part of the problem.

I still say the culture is the biggest problem. There is no depth whatsoever and the reason for that is because the bench doesn’t really feel like they are part of the team. They know that the guys who play 35 minutes a game all have the mindset that “I need to get mine” and that translates into bad losses and very little real team play.

If I was a top notch LDS player I don’t think I would want to come to BYU right now. I would wait until this LP3 debacle has run its’ course and then come to play. The culture is terrible. Likewise, the current talent is supposedly the best BYU has had in a long time… you’ve said as much yourself!

Everyone needs to stop making excuses (I’ve said this a million times) and just tell it like it is. The issues need to be acknowledged and the culture needs to change.