Scouting Hawaii @ BYU

BYU is a 8 point favorite to a 6-1 win Hawaii, how can this be?

The fact is that USU was #4 in the nation in scoring and BYU has been lousy at putting points up and would never of been able to keep up with USU once it got behind on the Tanner pic 6. And USU will most likely win the Mtn if Love stays healthy.

Hawaii can put BYU away if they start their Sr. QB. and BYU sticks with Tanner. But I am guessing that we see and two Freshmen QBs in this game and Wilson comes out on top. BYU nation is in a uproar with the loss to USU, demanding a QB change…hold on to your seats.

Hawaii QB stats…24 touchdowns and 2 interceptions…If the Senior plays BYU loses.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401016408

More news. I was not aware of Moroni’s ACL injury in the Wash game. but here is a cool write up of the surgery.

Meanwhile, Hawaii’s Soph. QB, McDonald will be playing on Sat

Time to pin back the ears and go after him.

With Wilson (worst kept secret) apparently starting against Ha., Turnovers will determine the game on Sat. Go cougs.

With any new QB, we can expect false starts and Wilson doing too much when he gets chased, blitzed. Should be a great game to watch and I hope Coug nation comes out to the game and supports the team

I’m recanting on my negativity about this game with Hawaii. We will win! Hope springs eternal with me when it’s game time. If I lived down there, I would be going to the game. I think we will rebound and win handily. This will be a good game to watch. Very excited to see Wilson start, play, and win!

There will be mistakes on offense from Wilson but I am willing to allow him to learn. He has a better throwing motion and better footwork than Tanner and for the life of me I don’t see how coaches worth their salt could not see that. Grimes went on record as saying he “doesn’t believe in gamers” and thinks that term shouldn’t be used. For the first time, I think I might be seeing why he has not been promoted to OC at a P5 school. That is a comment and thought process used by NFL coaches and high level P5 head coaches. Maybe also doesn’t believe that Wilson has higher upside than Tanner?? We will see … because Sitake got the message that if there isn’t some changes he and Grimes and the staff will be candidates for new jobs. Grimes doesn’t want to make a change at QB but Sitake will force the issue.

I am going to predict a loss in this game but we will score more than usual and the offense will compete. Our huge problem on defense will remain and our DC will be demoted or fired this year. He is just not a smart football guy and in way over his head as a DC. Friendship can’t be the only quality that Sitake hires from. That appears to be the case with the DC.

Therein lies a huge problem. Our DC is unable to learn how to get a pass rush into the opponents backfield. It is the most backward scheme I have seen in a long time. BYU doesn’t use stunts or cuts or loops … they simply bull rush and other teams have got to be laughing at the BYU defense. Big and fairly show and really dumb scheme. Coaching on D is terrible.

I am going to say a “win”. Defense is helped greatly with Ghanawhoku coming back. The Kaufusi’s have a say in the win. Utah had great stunts and blitzes when Sitake was there, it may well be that Sitake has to step in ala Bronco did…ironically, after a USU loss.

Kyle Wit is an excellent defensive coach. He has his hand in the defense at the U every year. That is why they are good and can take their DC leaving every so often. Losing coaches to Oregon St … that program is terrible and should have been a red flag for us. BYU defense is terrible at the coordinator spot.

We have to do a number of things to win:

Get to the QB. Make him “feel” you.

Shut down their playmaker receivers.

Get our run game going again

At 19 yrs and 2 months, Zach Wilson will be the youngest player to start as BYU QB. Jake Heaps was 19 yrs,3 months when he started vs. Nevada on Sep. 25, 2010. Drew Miller was 19 yrs, 8 months when he started vs. UTEP on Nov. 18, 1997.

BYU under head coach Kalani Sitake: 11-0 when leading at halftime.

Hawaii under head coach Nick Rolovich: 11-0 when leading at halftime.

Per Wrubell

BYU is favored to win by 55%. over Hawaii. Probable score to be at or near 26 points.
Hawaii is favored to win by 45% over BYU. Their probable score to be at or near 22 points.
Total points scored in this game should be at or near 48 points. This prediction gives BYU a
4 point advantage. This 4 point advantage could be because of the Home Field Advantage.

Hawaii over all, coming to Provo is 6-1 while BYU is 3-3. (That’s the bad news)

The good news is that to date, BYU has played 4 P5 Conference teams and Hawaill has played none.

The good news is that to date, BYU has defeated 2 P5 conference teams and Hawaii has defeated none.

The good news is that BYU lost by only 3 points to a middle of the Pac P5 team, (Cal), and Hawaii has not.

The good news is that we only play 6 mid major teams while Hawaii plays 11.

Each of us, ( a wash) plays “one” Division 2 teams. These are “give me” games for each of us.

That bad news is that BYU was grossly unprepared to play vs Washington and Utah State.
Army spoiled Hawaii’s perfect season to date by 7 points.

Summary: The best prepared team, that is the most hungry for a win that comes to play with the least amount of foolishness and goofing around, will win this game in Provo.

Las Vegas gives the edge to us at the Y.

I don’t care how old the QB is. If he can move with his feet and throw with accuracy while reading the defense … let him play! All I can say is that there are freshman who manage to start in D-1 programs all over this country. Alabama has the best talent evaluator in college football in Nick Saban and he started a kid ahead of a QB who won the national championship. Would BYU ever do that? You have to know who has the talent and let them play. Saban didn’t have some age based test on whether or not a kid can play at the highest level … why should BYU???

Ohio St did the same thing … moved in younger kids to start over a QB who won a national championship!

This season we need to see Critchlow snd Hall and Wilson. One or 2 … maybe even 3 of them might be better than Tanner in the game! If they are bad … we have a even bigger problem on our hands.

I think the plan all along was to play Wilson once we got past the teeth of Sept and Oct. I may have come early but all the same, Wilson was going to get plenty of action because he is the future.

They would have never won the national championship without that “kid”

Washington exposed BYU’S WEAKNESS’S-USU exposed them again by playing 8 at the line of scrimage. Hawaii will not defend like WU or USU, but can BYU defend? Defense will determine this game. Hold the Rainbows under 22 points-BYU wins

1 Like

Don’t see Critchlow in the equation, but wouldn’t mind catching a look at Hall.