Replace the new board with the old board

What do you like about it? I’m responding to you and this pops up:
Rather than many sequential replies to a topic, please consider a single reply that includes quotes or @name references to previous posts.

You can edit your previous reply to add a quote by highlighting text and selecting the quote reply button that appears.

It’s easier for everyone to read topics that have fewer in-depth replies versus lots of small, individual replies.

So, KC, what we liked about the old board was exactly what these guys don’t apparently want, communication with individuals. That’s just stupid!!! And, you like it? What do you like about this board?

I am not comfortable nor do I like the new board. It doesn’t identify who we really are talking to. It doesn’t say when or what date some one posted. The community guidelines are like a censor. It seems like this new board has us living in the Soviet Union. I am surprised that we are not told to call each other Comrade like in the USSR.

One thing that can help is that if you click on the Username of the poster, you can click on the profile. If people fill out the Name in their profile with their full name, that is displayed under the Username in the profile.

For instance, I see that ‘grasshopper’ is Scott Gavenman and ‘txcoug1492’ is Bruce Bennett.

The old board was much more fun, spontanious, and easy to use. The print was larger and easier to read. Please go back to the old method. It was great. This is not.

This is a test reply to see if it shows up under Bruce’s post or at the bottom of all of the posts.

this is another test reply. It will show up under your post Kay, but it is a reply to Bruces post.

It will also show up as the third reply to Bruce’s post.

This format is taking some gettting used to.

The old one was so much easier to use, respond to and read…

1 Like

I guess I should have tested a bit higher in the chain to see if the reply would jump into the chain at the appropriate point. But now that I look back up at the previous posts, it appears that this does not happen. Your earlier reply to KC Black did not show up immediately after his post. It’s too bad that they can’t post replies immediately after the post that you are replying to, and at least offset the replies a little bit so it is easier to see that it is a reply to a specific post. I see this feature on lots of other boards (and the old cougarfan boards).

Actually, the way this board works is more similar to almost all the other boards I’ve used. The old CougarFan board was an exception to me. What drove me nuts is that on the old boards, it was harder to follow a conversation when it spanned more than one page. People would have to restart a conversation to get it back to the top, especially during heavy posting times.

This board functions like most boards. Current posts force the conversation back to the top. I’ve been on boards where they allow the format of the individual topics to be posted as the board member would like (in the sense of recent post first, last, and/or threaded). It doesn’t appear they are letting us have that choice here.

Ok. Nice to know. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Yes, but you knew who you were replying to. And the person you were replying to knew that too. In here, I’m replying to Berck. But, I could be replying to everyone above as well. You really don’t know who I’m replying to now. That’s the problem with this board. There are no strings with a topic. At least in the SLTribune, there are. So, people know who you are replying to.

As far as one topic string being long, it tells you that the topic was a hit. Once that people had lots to talk about. So, you had to start a new string on the same topic. So what? At least we knew who we were responding to and that our posts were being responded to.

Granted, and if they allowed ‘threading’ on this board, you’d be able to see that more easily too. The old board worked pretty well for that, until it ran over multiple pages. Then the format started breaking down. Along with the issue of limited replies.

Another note here is that they don’t allow you to title the post either. Only the topic gets the title.

Please Please go back to the old board!!! The new one is a step back. The old board was fun this one is not.

1 Like

Amen Flash. I still don’t feel comfortable with this new Board. It makes me feel stupid because I don’t know holw to navigate or use these new applications or gadgets as it were. BB

1 Like

I agree R. That is the issue, to me the new Board is not user freindly nor is it understandable. BB

1 Like

Right on grasshopper. I feel like I am talking to a machine, not a person or persons. I don’t know when I am coming to the end of a subject or conversation/conversations. Once we post there doesn’t seem to be a way to edit our comments like on the old Board. Miscues cannot be corrected as far as I can see.

There are a series of buttons just below everybody’s posts. On your own posts, there are two buttons. One is a pencil for editing, and another is a trash can for deleting.

Where is thwe “pencil for editing?” What is the Trash Can sign? What does it look like Mr. Wizard?

Look to the left of the REPLY button below your posts. You don’t get them with what others post. I see a heart on other people’s post, but on my own, I get the pencil and trash can.

These buttons look greyed out until you move the mouse cursor over them. Same effect when you mouse over the 'REPLY" button.

Superior, primarily for the fact that I can see all responses to a post with ONE click. I hate having to open each response one at a time. I also like with the new board that we have profiles, It will reduce the amount of trolls The old format was an antique. I think a month from now everybody will have figured out how to navigate this board, and will agree that it has many advantages to the old.

It does have MANY advantages. Simplicity is not one of them and a good look and feel is also not one of them. I can almost never tell which posts are new or unread for me. Even when I click the unread posts link.