Quarterback Change

For many years BYU played football in the WAC and MWC. Not until they went independent have they had such a miserable record. Scheduling many high level P-5 teams with an ever increasing level of tougher teams on the schedule has not made BYU look better. In fact it has left us looking as a lower level program. I know that BYU left the MWC because Utah got into the PAC-12.BYU needed the ESPN deal in order to get much needed additional TV money to somehow be somewhat competitive with our rival Utah. Since BYU went indy we have looked less competitive. Perhaps it is time for BYU to consider joining another G-5 conference where we can be more competitive. I suggest the American Athletic Conference or some other new G-5 level new conference or
go to a lower classification like FCS or whatever.BYU might want to schedule less higher level P-5 teams as well.

1 Like

When I was a student at BYU in the 1960’s we got our tickets for free with our activity card and got a free ticket with your date’s AC. Basketball was the same. In football if you volunteered for the Card Section on the east side of the stadium you got 35 to 50 yard seats.

We got tickets for free in the late 70s too. We would get in a long line in the stands and then get our tickets. But they were usually nit the best seats. So, later we were allowed to go back and trade. I would always trade for second level seats which were great seats!

“can’t”

" Tanner could not throw down field as a threat".
I remember the Hail Mary vs Nebraska win.
I remember the Hail Mary vs Boise State win.
I remember several down field great passes from Tanner.
I am not sure win or why he started to not live up to expectations.

The problem Ron was not that he could “Not” throw downfield, it was that he could not throw downfield consistently.

Meaning that he could throw it downfield, but his accuracy was not really good and toward the end, he had a hard time throwing the mid to deep passes consistently.

I liked Tanner Mangum, I was hoping he would turn out as good as his hype was (elite 11 stuff). But somewhere along the line, he lost confidence or something in himself. Maybe it was all the turmoil with Detmer being OC or that Detmer was trying to make him into something he is not (pocket passer). I am not sure, but it was pretty clear to me that he lost his confidence.

I did seem him over the summer, he came to the Draper temple with his soon to be bride, what a great young man, met his dad and brother (who is about 8" taller than Tanner). All I can say is that Tanner came from “good people”. Although I have to question his judgment in marrying the Daughter of Gordon Monson :wink: (Not really).

Tanner was invited to tryout for the new football league. Wish him luck

Floyd I agree with you again, (more often than not).
I love both Ty Detmer, and I liked Tanner very much also.
I think that the two of them were not a good fit, and because of that, they both got hurt and neither turned out to be as good as their capabilities might suggest.