Quarterback Change

and I watched the Pitt-Virginia game…you would have barfed at the play calling when VU had the ball in the last possession.

Sorry, I’m just not heart broken that Bronco is gone.

Yeah, Anae has always had some issues with his conservative play calling.

I wonder if Bronco would have told Wilson to throw it away instead of getting tackled on the last play of the game.

BYU is finding new ways to lose games… some I have never seen before.

On another note, when was the last time Virginia sniffed a football ranking? Bronco got them into the top 25 in a lot tougher conference than BYU has ever played in.

Someone should have told the kid. It has happened about 20 too many times. chuck it away.

Bronco has done well at Virginia and I watch and root for him to win. but the guy had hit his ceiling here at BYU (come to think of it, Rose hit his about 4 years ago) and I don’t miss him.

BYU will be good again with Wilson, He is amazing for being so young. He just went head to head against a 4 year starter and just about beat him.

Agree but they still only scored one touchdown.

Incompetence in the redzone is baffling. This is football 101, not complicated NFL stuff…

I think you just summed up fr. QBs.
Utah lost Huntley in the ASU game. Hmmmmmm

Then you did not listen to his comments when he announced he was leaving…

Things like “Independence in not sustainable” type comments…

Second, Bronco had issues with “Star” athletes, name the last 4 or 5 star player who actually turned out okay under Bronco?

I know you loved Bronco and you dislike Sitake for firing you idle… but let’s be real here, when Stiake and Detmer took over both of them said the Oline was soft and was not very good.

When Grimes came in, the first thing he instituted was the Lineman go through some condition and strength workouts to make them stronger and able to control the line of scrimmage.

That was on coaching…

What good would throwing it away done? we still would have lost, I think Wilson realized his mistake (listen to his comments after the game), but where was Hadley or any other running back in the last play?

At least with a RB, you can make the defense defend both the run and pass, which would have given Wilson a bit more time.

right on. This loss was all on Grimes.
We had 1 minute and a timeout inside the 5 yd line and we runout of time? how is that possible?

Wilson was supposed to pass the ball on that play but was given the option to run. He saw no one open and tried to run it in as Boise State defenders closed down and tackled him short of the goal.
Immediately, receivers coach Fesi Sitake met Wilson on the field, his hands on both sides of the QB’s helmet and went over what had happened. It was a teaching moment.
“It was a two-concept route. Nothing was open. I should have been smart and thrown it out of the end zone,” said Wilson. “I just checked both my routes.
“You learn something new every day,” said Wilson. “I should have thrown it away. I got to know that. It was a freshman mistake, and I have to hold myself accountable to make that play. It is too bad we came up short.”

Why put it all on a freshman’s shoulders?

Wilson comments helps with losing the game, I think he is going to end up being very good.

I agree with you, it was coaching, but not on Grimes, what was A-rod thinking? (he actually calls the passing plays).

[quote=“Floyd_Edwards, post:66, topic:8098”]
When Grimes came in, the first thing he instituted was the Lineman go through some condition and strength workouts to make them stronger and able to control the line of scrimmage.
[/quote

They need to control their mistakes… false starts, holding and mental errors in key situations is inexcusable, even for freshmen. They didn’t control anything against Northern Illinois… an average team that took BYU out on their home field.

BYU has a history of lacking mental focus… time to hire a sports psychologist.

I don’t dislike Sitake at all and have no idea where you would get that. I think he’s done a pretty lousy job, but he seems eminently likable. I’m in the football offices and talk to players almost every time I’m in Provo, and I haven’t ever heard a coach or player say anything but that he is a totally great guy. Bronco’s record speaks for itself, and Sitake’s does as well, and it better say something better than .500 or he won’t last long. BYU won’t let a guy hang around too long losing to directional schools at LES in front of thousands of empty seats.

This statement tells me a lot about your understanding of the offensive line responsibility. I see false starts and holding calls all the way up to the NFL in key possessions in games… So I am not sure how you think they are “inexcusable”, mistakes happens in life as well as in football games. I think you have to remember these boys are still pretty young.

back in the glory days of Jim McMahon and Steve Young, Holding was called on BYU a lot… because Coach French taught them to Hold… They use to wear gloves the same color as the opposing teams colors so they would not be called as much…

Actually holding can be called on every play Jim… It’s just the way it is in football.

Right on twawk.

Since LES was built, I have attended games and for the first year, we are seeing rows and rows of empties. In the past, it was only on the Sat of the deer hunt that we saw any empties but this year, it is every game. I can also say that since LES was built, BYU never lost more then a game or two at best and there were many years when we NEVER lost at home.

Never losing at home is in the 11th commandment…Thou shalt NEVER…It also could be that millennials are not into sports, just a thought.

Disagree. You should know what constitutes holding and what doesn’t. And, the false starts in the redzone, especially at the 5 yardline is inexcusable. Even as freshman.

It could also be ticket prices — along with other factors, such as what you mentioned.

Look, when we play as badly and as boring as we have over the last couple of years, you are definitely going to see a drop in attendance. BYU fans are not really that great of fans; they’re pretty fair-weather, and by-and-large, pretty ignorant and unknowledgeable. Ever sat in the student section? We bring some of the hatred upon us because of our fans.

But to go back to ticket prices: it is very expensive to go to a BYU game now. When I was a student in the mid to late 90s, they were cheap. (slightly off-topic, but how much are basketball tickets, now? When I was a student, they were $2 apiece. I’ll bet they are much more expensive, now, and the Marriott Center isn’t close to being full). I remember getting two tickets for each home football and basketball game (good for dates), for not very much money. And, I (and later, my wife, too) earned $6 an hour and still had tickets and were able to save up and pay for tuition and our living expenses. That seems like the 1950s with the situation, now.

I don’t think lowering ticket prices would be a panacea or cure-all, but it would help. The biggest help would be not looking so bad when we lose and looking better when we win. As others have pointed out, we are really hard to watch.

How much are football and basketball tickets now?

When I was a student we got a package of tickets to six home games and they were $18 or $3 a game, really. That was in the late 80’s, just after they won the national championship.

I would love to attend another game soon and I realize I can’t get a ticket for 3 bucks but how much are they?

Lowest price? basketball and football.

I don’t remember the actual price in the mid to late 90s, but it wasn’t much. It was kind of cool to randomly get your ticket assignments as a student (some in the end zone, one on the fifty, a couple between the goal line and the 50. I got my two Notre Dame tickets on the 50, and my dad came out for that game). I remember getting my envelope with my two basketball tickets per home game at $2 a pop. I think those days are long gone.

To tell you the truth, paper tickets are increasingly a relic of the past; most are via smart phones or a barcode printout. Many schools are just giving students free admission with their student IDs (but they still pay for them — check out the itemized fee schedule). Just like with voting, the more free and easy you make it to attend games, the fewer students actually go to them. I think ADs want to “pack the stands” with students who get in for “free,” but I think expecting people to buy tickets is better. I’m old-fashioned, though.

When we go up to Flagstaff for NAU football games, although my son gets in for free as a student, I still buy a ticket, and we get much better seats. If you pay and just buy tickets, you can get really good seats. Student sections aren’t very good seats.

How much are the tickets though?

What is the cheapest price you can get into a game for and can you move down or are the nazi security peeps watching all the time?

The ticket office website says “economy endzone” (read: nosebleed section, with eardrums burst from rock music all game long over the loudspeakers) start at $15.00.

I would think that moving down into vacant good seats (as long as they don’t show up) isn’t actively prevented. My last game was the home game against Nevada (a loss).

Man, we sure have lost a lot of home games over the last several years!