Quarterback Change

It is called, “Legendary Status” in one game. We all needed that one, the coaches, the players and all of cougar nation. If felt like an old Lavell Edwards shootout. Now it may be that Hawaii was that bad but for once BYU let their defense run stunts and blitzes up the wazoo and my o my, that Wilson kid is a cool customer.

Cole McDonald’s QB rating per ESPN for this game…125 His rating for this game…35 QBR.
Zack Wilson ….167 ….80 QBR.

Those numbers seem unbelievable to me that a kid with his first start of D1 football could do such a thing.

This is another news flash, but the running back trio of Katoa, Burt and Hadley are better than Canada! Hadley will get better as the season goes on. He probably never should have played anything but RB at BYU. Riley Burt is the gem and was never given much of a chance. He will break some big runs before this year is over. He has the same ability as Canada but he is way faster. Katoa is also the real deal. The running game is in business for the foreseeable future. Going with Canada and not allowing these 3 as much playing time has hurt us…along with the obvious QB lack of talent evaluation…and a DC who needs to find a new job. But hey, these are all fixable things!!

Katoa is the real deal but I would say that Canada won BYU to AZ game and the Wisconsin game with his timely big runs. Canada won those games behind the mule kicks to the face of El Bakri busting up everyone in front of him. I have not seen much of him lately (was he hurt?)

Anyhow, I don’t agree that Canada has hurt any other’s playing time. He hits the hole hard and fast, in past years, he would hesitate and was not explosive but he is a changed man this year for sure. Burt suffers from the some problem, he hesitates and it costs him. but I do agree that when he hits holes fast, Burt will not be caught while Canada always gets caught.

My, my what a mobile QB can do for the entire team…enjoy the ride.

Thanks fish,
Again, I totally agree with your post.
Ron

Just curious what everyone’s opinion of wonder boy (Wilson) is now that he could not score on lowly NIU…

Six points of offense is nothing to write home about, at least Tanner had better “bad” games…

We have a whole lot wrong with us right now, and it is really irrelevant at this point whether Wilson or Mangum is in. Other than Wilson has more upside/potential and years of eligibility.

I strongly disagree that Tanner had better “bad” games. Tanner’s bad games can compete with anyones. :wink: You would have been elated if he had thrown for 208 against Northern Illinois. “He stayed within the scheme, he managed the game well, etc.”

Wilson has to get experience. Rather have him lose a game and get him ready for next year than watch Tanner lose and not give Wilson his reps.

1 Like

Completely agree. I’m expecting BSU and UofU to be really ugly games, though. But Tanner won’t keep us competitive in them, anyway, so let Wilson get experience.

But that is not what some of the posters were saying before… It was Mangum lack of “Throwing” skills that caused all the problems, it was his lack of mobility, etc…

I tried to tell these guys that it was not all Tanner fault, but I was chided for it…

Now I want you to think about this for a moment: "We have 8 starters who are either true freshman or redshirt freshman…

If that is true, then what does that say about the talent level Bronco and Co. brought in? I think that in itself, explains a lot of our offensive woes.

I am not so worried about Wilson, the kid flies to California every summer and works with John Beck and Russell Wilson on how to become a better QB.

What I am worried about is the Offensive line, and receivers… They need to get more experience and make better decisions.

We recruited a really good kid out of Bingham, His last name is Cosper, but I have not heard one thing about him this year. I think he could be another weapon for Wilson to use… They know each other because they played each other in the State Championship a couple of years ago.

On field experience is a lot more important than going to camps or working out with other QB’s. Wilson needs to do both and since Russell Wilson is busy right now, it is good to get “our Wilson” game experience. Yes, BYU is a young team. They will get much better over the next 3 years. Wilson is the guy for the job now. This year wasn’t going to be a good one anyway. Wilson would have won us the game vs Cal but probably not any other game that Tanner lost. I think you can see that having a dual threat QB is a plus for the Y right now. Hall is also a dual threat and he is going to be special too.

Coaching is a concern. Grimes is hopefully up to the task. DC is not that good. Sitake will have tough choices to make in the off season. Hopefully our line on both sides of the ball will improve.

The OL is key to the offense. If they give more time to throw then the receivers will get better! If the holes are opened up a bit, our backs will look better.

Performance centers like the one that John Beck and Russell Wilson runs, provides the QB how to improve their “Techniques”. Things like foot work, throwing mechanics, etc…

On field experience is where they learn to use the tools Beck and Wilson taught them…

In today’s college environment you need both.

Second, I am not sure Zach Wilson is the “Guy” for the job, from what I hear the Hall kid is tearing it up, the only problem he had this year is that he got home from his mission right before fall camp. Hall is a passer, but more athletic (Taysom Hill type QB).

I agree with you about the DC, I am not sure he is that good, but unfortunately, he is also a childhood friend of Sitake. So I am not sure he will be held to the same standards as Detmer was.

I do like our Oline freshman (Empey and Christensen), I think those boys will be drafted in the future.

1 Like

Floyd, Wilson’s passing ability today is far superior to Magnum. The throws he completed Magnum wouldn’t have thrown. Perhaps Magnum wouldn’t have thrown late over the middle but Wilson learned a valuable lesson.
I believe there are other coaching problems that caused the penalties down at the 5 yard line and other plays as well. But, with mostly freshman, that will happen.
The other thing you apparently won’t admit to is NI’s defense was the best we have played against especially to run defense. They are far better than we will see against Boise and Utah.

I have to confess I didn’t get to watch the full game. But I heard that Hifo only got four touches. So this brings up the point that Floyd was part pointing out, Byu Hass to get the ball into the hands of the play makers. And we just are not doing a good job of doing that

Ignoring playmakers? What, like when Bushman gets a target, catches the ball, and it takes a strong safety 15 or 20 yards to catch him? Then Grimes forgets he’s on the roster? I couldn’t believe Bushman wouldn’t transfer–because I think it’s pretty obvious to almost anyone that he’s an NFL talent–but he’s married to Chad Lewis’ daughter so that’s that.

Let’s review: you have an All American TE that NFL scouts are raving about; he’s 6’5"/250, has great hands, and is fast enough to run with lots of DBs. He leads your team with 18ypc (because he can run away from people) and has your longest reception of the season (39 yards, which should be insulting to every WR); but he barely plays, and he has 15 catches in 8 games. Shame on all of them.

Okay Tom, let’s look at Bushman abilities to get to the NFL…

First, the only ones talking about Bushman being a “NFL” caliber player is either the coaches or fans… not the NFL scouts.

Second, in order to succeed at Tight End in the NFL you have to know how to “Pass and Run Block”, Bushman at this point is not very good at either. If you don’t believe me, go back and look at all the great Tight Ends BYU has had and how many of them stuck in the NFL? Pitta, Milli and Lewis are the only three I can think of.

Third, Matt has an advantage to learn how to become an NFL caliber tight end by just learning from his father in law. He happens to be one of the best tight ends to come out of BYU.

That is what Grimes and company is trying to coach him to get better at, so they can use him more. But currently, you can not use him in a game to block the corner rushers, he simply does not have the skill set to do it at this time.

I believe Matt will get there in time, he is great at catching the ball down the field, but in order to be an effective Tight End he has to learn the fundamentals of blocking. Remember, he was a receiver in high school. Different types of blocking skills.

I really think Matt will get there, he is a smart kid and will do well.

The problem we have is that the Oline for some strange reason is regressing instead of progressing. If the QB does not have time to get the ball to the play makers because someone is in their face all the time… it really doesn’t matter if we have play makers.

Interesting article by Monson…

I generally don’t like Gordon Monson, but I think his comments about lack of talent has some truth to it.