My projections for 2018 football season, take 2

I see the deadly “we won’t tell you but your post will be automatically locked if you don’t choose a category” plague struck again. Thanks, Ron, for starting the earlier thread. I’m more optimistic than he. I think we strike back and strike back big: winning every game except, probably Wisconsin and Washington.

Of course, I predict at least a ten-win season every year, including last year.

I love your optimism, BoiseCougar, but your blue tinted glasses are showing… I will stick my neck out a bit and predict a WINNING SEASON, Yes, I know others may be more realistic, but I believe with the coaching changes and some luck BYU could win more games than we lose and I didn’t drink the blue kool-aide before I replied! GO COUGARS!

I love what he said too of BoiseCougar. I too predict (earlier) that we will be above .500 or Bowl Bound. So nothing wrong with Blue Gatorade along with my Blue Goggles that I have.
I also like Yoeli Child optimistic for next season but I worldn’t say anything about winning it all (wcc) till the end of the season as well in the wcc tourney.

Boise Fan,

I certainly hope that you are correct and more importantly, I hope that I am wrong.

Washington and Wisconsin, in the pre season polls are tied at #5. I see no chance for us in those two games.

Boise State in Preseason polls are at #17. We play that game on the Blue turf and I don’t see us as having a chance there.

Arizona is favored in las Vegas by 15 points. I am hoping for an upset there.
Cal could be a possible upset if everything goes our way in Provo.

Utah game is in Salt Lake City and if history repeats itself over the past 7 years, we can count that as a loss.

If we lose to FCS McNeese State in Provo, we will need a new head coach or give up sports at the Y.

We will beat Hawaii.

Northern Illinois is not the push over that people may think, however, we must beat them or give up sports, or the powers that be, must give a much greater financial commitment to the program.

UMASS shocked the Football world by beating us last year in Provo. We play them again this year, but that game is at UMASS. This is a must win game or we need to give up football.

WE will beat New Mexico State if they do everything wrong and we do everything right, but this is a must win game.

Yes, we will reach a 6-6 season and get a bowl. Yes, 7-5 season is possible if we can get an upset with either Cal or Arizona and not lose any of the games we are suppose to win.

8-4 season is not possible unless we elevate our new OC to the level of Celestial being.

My prediction, because I put great hope in our new OC, is 7-5., but 6-6 is more realistic. Just saying!!!

I completely understand your pessimism–or as others might call it, your realism. However, I truly believe a change of attitude–and hopefully there has been a change from the rumored country club atmosphere–plus a change of offensive staff will equal immediate on field results. The Utah game has traditionally been a close one, no matter the location. Boise will be tough; but at this time a year ago, local fans were questioning whether the coaches were up to the challenge and whether BSU would win six games…sound familiar? Arizona and Cal could possibly be upsets.

Best case scenario is, of course, to win all our games. That’s unlikely. As mentioned in my original post, I predict that we win all our games except Washington and Wisconsin. Most fans would say that that too is unlikely. I tend to agree, but I’m still hopeful. The floor has to be six wins or else Kalani must go. But if we are able to split the tough, but I think winnable games, 8-4. So, yes, this blue-goggled fan still says that we win 10 games, with 8-4 still being an outstanding regular season, and 6-6 being the acceptable minimum.

We go 12 - 0…

We will do better this year than we did 2017. We will be over .500 like I said last time. Can we go 12-0 which might happen but one game at a time. Wisconsin and Washington will be tough.

Love your enthusiasm. I tend to look at last year’s problems and see how we dealt with them. No, I don’t think that Kalani is gone, even with another poor showing. Remember, He did not get to choose his coaches. I think that is unique to BYU.

So how did we get to a failing program last year and how do we improve? I think that having a once in a generational leader as our QB hide all of the coaching blunders 2 years ago and it did not hurt to have a NFL running back either. Hill could get the team to follow him anywhere. Is the Saints Quarterback of the Future Already on the Roster? - Canal Street Chronicles

COACHING, Fixed, next…

QB, Last year, we were failing at QB, due to injuries and rookies. We still do not have a proven QB or leader. Hoge may be the starter but he can’t sling the ball. My choice, Critchlow is still green and not the option QB that Grimes likes…I think Tanner is done and Wilson is too young…so we have that obstacle.

THE LINE, The Oline was weak, Grimes will fix that. Not too worried about the D…just because of our 3 and out offense so that will keep us in ball games that we were not in last year.

RECIEVERS, We were weak last year with exception of F.s Matt Bushman. BYU has several big name receivers this year so that will be highly improved…unless we go with Hoge and then we are one dimensional …again.

in summery, BYU has too many question marks to go 10-2. Win the ones we are supposed to which gives us 5 wins ( I think). Look at the P5 teams we face on the road and count the losses we will have against veteran QBs and hope we can win P5 games against teams with rookie QBs.

Boise Cougar,

I really do like and respect your optimism.

I do not see my prediction as pessimism, but rather, realism.

Like you, I do want a 12-0 season. Like you, I can remember the win over #2 Oklahoma and the 59-0 win over UCLA, the three wins over Texas, to name a few, and not even to mention the NC, The MB, or the
HT years which came from decades long past, because that was than and this is now. What have you done for me lately syndrome is at play here and now.

I am happy to have the LSU line coach come to Provo to be our OC. I would have been much, much, much happier if he had been the OC from LSU to come to Provo to be our OC.

Do you remember the havoc that a coach made by going to Utah Utes, that gave them BCS bowl championships and an invitation to the Pac 12 that game them so much more money that either they, Utah, or us, BYU ever dreamed of having for their football program?

Do you realize how much easier it is now, for Utah to recruit the best players, leaving the leftovers to us? Well that coach was Urban Myers. His assistant was Kile Whittingham. Kile was a fast learner and when Myers left, Whittingham didn’t miss a beat in the success of the Utes.

The leadership that controls the purse strings must invest in the sports programs at BYU. They must hire the most successful coach from the NFL or from a P5 team in a Power Conference.

The same funds that can buy stock in department stores, radio stations, TV networks, Coke Cola Company, Pharma, and the many other business ventures, can and should invest in the sports department of the Church owned University in Provo.

Without a major shift in financial policy, we will be forever trying to make sweet orange juice out of the fantastic lemons which we get, while more serious programs get quality oranges. Without the said investment, how can we compete successfully?

BYUCampus,

I come very close to agreeing with you minus one win. I see a realistic 6-6 season. If all things go as good as possible for us and as bad as possible for Arizona and Cal, I can say yes to a possible if not probably, 7-5 season, but that is a giant size “IF”.

Most people are overlooking the talents of Northern Illinois and consider that a definite win for the Cougars. This could be a big mistake when calculating your win loss season.

In the pre season polls, Northern Illinois is ranked higher than BYU, Utah St., New Mexico State, and UMASS.
This seemingly nothing of a team, may be the team that gives us the gitters until the last play has been completed in their game vs us at Provo.

While most of you are planning on upsets with #76 BYU beating # 25 Boise State, #28 Utah, #33 Arizona, and #65 Cal,
I am more concern with not being embarrassed by #77 Utah St.,and # 69 N. Illinois.

I am optimistic about our games vs. #100 New Mexico St., #102 @ UMASS and # 122 Hawaii, until I remember what UMASS did to us last year in Provo.

Last year taught me that nothing is certain. I was positive that our 14 year veteran in the NFL that game us the HT would put us back in our Glory days again. Now, I am certain that our new hire from LSU will put us back in those Glory years and the similar feeling for each of these two seasons are really scary for me.

If the teams mentioned don’t add up to 12 games, it’s because we are not even mentioning #5 amd #6 Washington and Wisconsin.

I really, really, really need a good season vs a couple of P5 teams plus all the others that we should win.

Boise Fan,

My hopes and desires, prayers and wishes are exactly the same as your for our BYU Cougars,

I also have found that experts that prognosticate the outcome of each of the 130 teams, to be on the most part,
more correct than wrong.

This is what the experts are calculationg, (taking into regard, our new and improved coaching staff to off set our SOS:

#4 Washington, #6 Wisconsin, #24 Boise St., #28 Utah Utes, #33 Arizona, # 65 Cal, #69 Northern Illinois, #76 BYU, #77 Utah St. #87 New Mexico St., #102 UMASS, and unranked, below 130, FCS McNeese ST.

If we just do as well as the experts say, we are looking at 5-7 season. If we beat, at our house, #69 Northern Illinois, who is ranked 7 points higher than us but after calculating 4 point home field advantage for us that still gives them 3 points favored. Winning them would give us a 6-6 season. The next closes team to us for an upset in our favor is #65 Cal at our house. Cal is ranked 11 points better than us. Give us the 4 point advantage and that still leaves them favored by 7 points.

If we looked for two upsets above us, Northern Illinois and Cal, than we must look for a possibility for two upsets below us. Utah State is only ranked 1 point below us. new Mexico State is ranked only 11 points below us.

My prediction of a 6-6 season being probably and a 7-5 season being optimistic is not a pessimistic point of view, but instead, it is a point of view based on todays facts which may change by the end of Fall practice.

Ron

Sometimes it takes a while for reality to sink in for me. If we have another .500 or worse year, then I’ll concede that the pessimistic view is correct. That said, I should also add that I was pretty disappointed that Kalani was not fired along with Ty and the rest of the offensive staff. To paraphrase a famous democrat, the buck stops at the top. However, I really like the new hires, the supposedly new attitude, and the transfers. I truly think–though probably hope more than believe–that BYU will be the surprise team in college football this coming season.