Man this board is dead!

For being this close to Football, I thought you would see some chatter going on…

Thanks CougarFan ownership, for taking a really good fan site and making it into one of the least viewed sites.

Even grasshopper is staying away from posting off-topic subjects.

I here you. Not much happening here at the moment. As I was staining the deck today I was thinking what would be the coolest thing to see this season. My conclusion was big Mo lining up at fullback, chip block on the edge and then catch a pass. Not going to happen but it would be fun to see. I don’t know if he will have any impact, but his opportunity to go to BYU will definitely put opportunities in front of him he may have never had.

1 Like

A lot slower on this so-so board than it was of the old during off season for sure. Will it be around once season start? Who knows.
As for Mo Langi. Who thought Ziggy made it to NFL on his 5th pick with Detroit . Did Langi played Rugby and if he did then let him carry the ball in the blue zone.

Perhaps part of the problem is not allowing responses to certain posts after only one hour. Maybe there is a rule I don’t know about, so if someone could explain to me why this happened, let me know.

http://Llawlessrepublic.com/2017/07/05/byu-football-conference-realignment/

BYUcanpass1d
I agree with the essentials in this article with the notable exception of the title and the underlying assumption that the decision of who goes where when the TV contracts expire will be made at the end of the next seven seasons. I believe most, if not all of the break ups and invitations will be decided a year or more before that time. Many of those decisions will be “back room” and not for public disclosure, still, BYU must be ready to play with the big boys in the next 5 seasons or risk being left out once again.

This is an easy one to say what happened, as many people have forgotten to define the category of the post. You’ll find that your post is in the uncategorized area. Those posts are locked down after an hour. Had you created the post with being categorized in football, it would have stayed open.

Thank you. That was useful information and I will do that in any future posts. GO COUGARS!

1 Like

So, I put a post on Off-Topic and no one reads it or responds. Is it that the board is dead or the people on the board are dead and boring :wink:

I don’t think you should be so hard on yourself, Scott.

For anyone wanting to waste part of their day and deal with Hopper, feel free to post here.

Otherwise, we all have made the transition to the new, secure board.

What new secure board?

I’ve always wondered if Thawk is Shad. Naw, Shad was cool but Thawk isn’t. A little weasel most likely…

Only joking about a new secret board… But it might be worth the exercise if we have to upgrade and lose Hopper!!

1 Like

How about to lose you! You actually get on others nerves. But Shad thinks he’s all it. He has to make others think he’s Jim Hawk.

Poor layout. It would be nice if the owner could change it.

Floyd,

I would like to hear someone with real knowledge tell us that “Big Mo” is taking a class in “Football 101” .

It is my understanding that while his size and weight is a great asset for the team, he absolutely knows nothing about football.

My first year playing football for my high school, I did not have the height and weight advantage that Big Mo has and I didn’t even come close. What I did share with Mig Mo, is that I really knew absolutely nothing about football.

To my fault, I tried to keep my lack of knowledge a secret in fear that someone more knowledgable would take my place.

As a result, I was in constant fear that I might be about to do something stupid and cause penaties and my fear kept me from being as good as I might otherwise have been.

Some of my fears included, 1. If I am on the line, (Guard or tackle), and I have a change to intercept the ball from the offense, can I catch it and run with it or do I just have to knock it down. 2. If I am on the OF line, to what degree can I use my hands to hold back the defense without being called for holding. 3. In tackling by committee, how far can I go without being called for “pileing on” or un-necessary roughness. Bassically, I was never sure what I could do to make big plays without drawing penalties or what I should never do because of the penalties. I never really was sure what was expected of me and that held me back. I must have been doing more right than wrong as I got to play in most games.

Teach Big Bo well, and assume that he knows nothing in football and avoid assuming that he knows anything and that will be best for Mo. I am thrilled that we have him and I want him to have the opportunity to go onto his first game, knowing and understanding what is expected of him.

I know that I sound like a broken record, or like the teacher that believes that the basic 3 R’s for slow learners is
Repitition, Repition, Repition, but I really belive strongly, inspite of all of those on this board that try to teach me where my thinking is wrong or at least not valid, that BYU Football has the oportunity for a great future and that for the past 3 years, we are at the beginning stages of realizing that great future. Let’s review:

2015: BYU vs. Michigan State, Utah, UCLA, Mississip State, Arizona, and plays a decent Boise State. This was 5 P5 conference teams plus one of the best teams from the mid majors. I was thrilled. We covered our bases my scheduling 6 other teams that would guarantee ourselves a winning season and bowl game. We were finally STARTING to learn, step by step, how to play big time football.

2016: BYU vs. Arizona, Utah, UCLA, West Va., Michigan State, and again, one of the best mid major teams, Boise State.
Again, this is 5 teams from Power 5 conference plus a very respectable mid major team. Again, we are continuing to learn how to play with the big boys while covering our basis scheduling 6 other teams that will guarantee us another winning season and bowl game.

2017: BYU vs. LSU, Utah, Wisconsisn, Mississippi State, plus that same Boise State Mid major team. On the surface,
it may look like we are taking a step back only playing 4 P5 teams compared to the last two years of 5 Power 5 teams each season. Perhaps we are. Pehaps not when the preason polls shows the rankings of those P5 teams compared to our own.

My hope is that now, after the end of this season, having learned how to play multiple quality teams in each season, that we will grow from an average of ( 5) P5 teams, the last 3 seasons, (2015, 16. and 2017), to an average of (9) P5 teams per season within the next 7 years.

With the new alienment coming up in 2024, and with the new TV contracts starting in 2024, if we, along with ND, are the only non P5 Conference teams, that truly plays a P5 type schedule, and plays well wtih those schedules, than we will be considered by everyone to be a P5 type team that needs to be put into the expansion of a P5 conference.

If we look like a P5 team, play like a P5 team, schedule like a P5 team and win like a P5 team, we will be a Power team that will be put into a conference.

If we fail in any of those areas, we will give the nay sayers an excuse to keep us out.

Correction
2015: Nebraska, Boise State, UCLA, Michigan (not state), Missouri
2016: Miss State (not 2015)
All this talk about getting in P5 is a long way to think about. Let it rest for now and play like a P5 which I believe we will do fine more than what Bronco M. didn’t do or TRY TO!
And, to be like P5 “Most Pac 12 yes, Most SEC except Vandy, Most Big 10 except Rudger, and 7 Big 12 - get rid of KU, KSU and Iowa St and possible Bayler (sex scandal).”
And for Boise State joining in - unlikely because they don’t have any great other sports and low market location!
That last year Big 12 was a joke and it really turned all the Cougar Nation off and put it to rest for now! Focus what in front of us first which is Portland State (good start before facing LSU).

Dew, (David), There is so much that we do agree on. The rest is probably just a memory laps on each of our parts.

(Let it rest for now and play like a P5 which I believe we will do fine more than what Bronco M. didn’t do or TRY TO!)
I totally agree with this part except for letting it rest for now.

I believe that we need to not wait for 7 years to pass, before getting prepared to be accepted into hopefully the Pac 8/10/12/14 or 16. If not the Pac, perhaps one of the other power 5 conferences. I believe that we must all be a constant reminder to those doing the programing, that now is the time to start preparing or perhaps advance in our prepartations so we will truly be ready, 7 years from now when the time comes.

(And, to be like P5 "Most Pac 12 yes, ( okay, Colorado, Washington State, Oregon State) I get it.
(Most SEC except Vandy, Most Big 10 except Rudger, and 7 Big 12 - get rid of KU, KSU and Iowa St) I get it.

but I find the next part a bit perplexing, ( and possible Bayler (sex scandal).")

Hey it was not than many years ago that BYU had an even bigger sex scandal during the Crowton era. Did you forget? The past few years, Baylor has had about as good of a season as it gets in the Big 12.

(And for Boise State joining in - unlikely because they don’t have any great other sports and low market location!)

I think that I agree with what i think you are saying here. I believe that BYU, Houston and Boise State and maybe one or two others, are the best of what are not in a power conference. I agree that Boise State is by far better in football than all of their other sports put together. The could be a football only addition to a conference but again there is that LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

(That last year Big 12 was a joke and it really turned all the Cougar Nation off and put it to rest for now! )

I agree with all of this. I really don’t want us in the Big 12 unless it is the only P5 conference that will take us.

(Focus what in front of us first which is Portland State (good start before facing LSU).

I am all for having a warm up game before the season begings vs. good teams. I just wish they were called “warm up” games and just that and nothing more, (warm up games) and not count those warm up games as a season game.
I don’t like having a winning season because we are able to program a winning season. I like having a winning season because the win/loss column was determined on the field and not in the programing.

As far as the teams played in 2015, 2016 and 2017, I am taking these games from memory and at age 82, my memory is not as great as someone 62 or less.

I am ashamed that I forgot the 2015 win 33-28 over Nebaska with that hail Mary which was repeated again in the Boise State game for a 35-24 win.

Yes, I agree that I really missed that horrible loss vs. Michigan and made matters worse by remembering that game as Michigan State.

Awe yes, with your help, I do remember that loss vs. Missouri.

Thanks for the corrections. My memory is not as good as it once was especially if we do not win. I wll never ever forget our win vs UCLA in Provo 59-0. Wins I do remember.

The losses tend to be a blur and I get forget and mistaken at times.
Thanks for your corrections.

I do remember that we won over Nebraska an Boise State I remember that the UCLA game was a very close loss which we should have won. A bad play call cost us that game.

The board is dead, this is true.

It would be nice if posts were short and to the point as well. I like to banter back and forth because it keeps things interesting for me.

Nothing is more difficult than trying to read a Uharriet post or attempting to decipher and understand a Hopper post without the use of a Urim and Thummim. I just can’t do it. :grin:

Hey Ron you were close, I am 61 not 62. Lol!!
I am not really saying WE need to put it to rest about P5. We need to continue making noise in all aspects such as win football games against most P5 and others during October/November. Continue to bring strong followers (Cougar Nation) on every away games. And play many of those Neutral locations (NFL Venue). And TV Exposers! Along doing well in all other sports. Remember that we got a break against Washington Huskies in Seattle when QB Jake Locker did a celebration penalty and Bronco M. said this phrase “The Ref Made The Right Call”
I do agree that Houston deserve to be part of P5 too but hard to say about others.
Add on: You last year what I said about Big 12 expansion talk, they really drag it out too long and FAILED. Both ESPN & FOX were one of them too that killed it. And the other silly thing from lg… thing was pure stupid. All I am saying once rumor start again in any of the P5 Commissioner start making a change again, we should not hold our breath and continue our stuff on the field.
OR BETTER, they should have a secret adding a team without having media knowing anything until “surprise, we are adding BYU today.”
I like that.