Making College Football Better

http://utahvalley360.com/2017/01/09/if-i-were-in-charge-of-college-football-7-ways-to-make-it-even-better/

I could really get behind this type of change in college football. As it stands, about 10 Universities will dominate the National Championship playoff. Everyone else is left on the outside looking in.

I have seen this many times about wanted four 16 teams group. The article was written by Jeff Call who use to be DeseretNews Sports Editor. Good guy.
One part that I read:
“Here’s the thing: college football is monopolistic. There’s this group of have and have-nots. There’s a built-in bias. It exists in some respects in college basketball, too, but the difference is, any team can, conceivably, win a national championship in basketball. If you win your conference championship, you get an automatic invitation to the Big Dance and you get a chance to win a national title. No team is discriminated against based on the conference it belongs to or where it is located. It’s decided on the court. Isn’t that why we love March Madness?”

March Madness might be next to mess things up. What if P5 want to have there own March Madness. They have talk about it before.

They “dumb people becoming dumber” want better, stronger and powerful - WHATEVER!

Am I the only one getting tired of watching Pro Sports where they make too much money for what they are worth? AM I the only one pretty much given up watching all college sports except BYU (sorry I don’t watch U either “TUN”)? More and more people are cutting the cord and will ESPN will renew the contract with BYU?

Lastly, this is Utah Valley local newspaper - not national. We won’t see that anywhere to see this like USAToday, SI, ESPN, ETC.

A few things that could be added to the 4 D1 conference idea would be: 1) at the end of each season, the last place D1 team in each of the 4 conferences will drop down to the D2 conferences, and the top team in each D2 conference will be moved up to the D1 conferences. That way, EVERY team would have the opportunity to play in the D1 conference and contend for the National Championship. 2) eliminate the “cup cake” scheduling at the beginning of the season. That way, the games will be more interesting for the whole season instead of just at the end. No one wants to see Our Lady of Hope vs. Alabama in September, but Georgia vs. Alabama would be a much better game.3) in an effort to level the playing field, the top two teams in each conference get 2 scholarships less, while the two last place teams get 2 extra.

I find that I don’t have time to follow a lot of sports. I have to pick and choose. so, I follow BYU and am a casual observer of other sports. The thing that bugs me about professional sports is that it has become too political and too much about the money. Whether it is a wealthy athlete or actor, I wish they wouldn’t use the spotlight to make a political statement. The wealthy athletes too often get a little too full of themselves and they lose their filter in part because they already have theirs (money). Being financially secure emboldens them. It bugs me that the sports organizations have boycotted NC for their stance on bathroom policy. Since when has there been a consensus on political issues that the NBA, NFL, NCAA should get behind and support?

Bgeorge2:

A few things that could be added to the 4 D1 conference idea would be: 1) at the end of each season, the last place D1 team in each of the 4 conferences will drop down to the D2 conferences, and the top team in each D2 conference will be moved up to the D1 conferences.

I really like that idea!

I like it. I just don’t think it will ever happen.

The only way complaints will stop is to follow these simple instructions.

1. Forget about who is in the P5 or G5 conferences.
  2. Forget about who is ranked #27 or 57 or 92.

Instead of selecting mostly because of the conference you are, or are not in, and if you are in the top, 5, 10, 20, 25 or 64, just take the conference winner from each of the P5 conferences, and the conference winner in each of the G5 conferences, and the best team of the Independents and have these 11 teams have a play off.

In the interest of time, start by
playing the best team vs the worst team. Let the last two teams standing play for the national championship. This way, even it it turns out that the same group of teams get to the championship game and the same teams that use to get left out still get left out, at least everyone has an equal chance of getting there, except of course, for all the money and prestige that goes to some schools that could afford to hire the best coaches and attract the best athletes, but at least it is a start toward more fairness.