Let’s Brain Storm: (The operative word is NEW)

Take #1, we’ve never recruited like Alabama. Yet, we’ve won a national championship and many bowl games. Our offensive scheme is at best a high school scheme. That’s the problem.

I agree we’ve never recruited like Alabama and yet we’ve won at a high level. But we did it by accepting we couldn’t go head to head and adapting our scheme to fit our underdog limitations and current situation. Frankly…I think we agree and are stating it in different ways.

Recruiting limitations mean we are an underdog, underdogs can still win…if they don’t run a high school scheme. 13-0 is achievable.

Yes it is. But can the coaches now figure this out?

Ugh… I don’t know… I’m worried about it. They better start admitting they were wrong about specific things and doing some emergency work. If they are inflexible strategically, then they are just system coaches and that’s a problem if their system doesn’t work here. I’m worried that if they finish out on a winning streak against the bad teams they might think they got it figured out.

Good post, I pretty much agree with your points. In addition, football and sports in general have become a business. High school kids are coached by professional organizations where most kids specialize in one sport. BYU is still and always will be a school that sends kids out on two year missions and it takes at least a full year for them to catch up physically. That puts them three years behind, experience wise to players their own age. BYU has a tough sell with the HC, missions and the “professional” approach to sports these days. Playing the front end loaded schedules against P-5 “professional” teams is a suicide approach. This year BYU is in a between year with the loss of Hill, Williams, and others. Again, it takes a minimum of one year to get a player who is an RM to catch up physically, and who knows, if ever to catch up psychologically.

1 Like

We are wasting our time discussing BYU football, the losing season and the recruits exiting the program…we are better off watching the multi-time-national-champs accompany Cosmo!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/byu-terrible-season-least-mascot-can-dance-video-145415517.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

1 Like

I am curious what we should be trying to do on the field given our limitations? My points are general or strategic, but what about specific tactics? That’s an open question. What positions can we consistently recruit high-level talent? How does that change our scheme? Maybe that should be a new conversation?

There’s a difference between how football at the highest recruiting level should be played and how underdogs should play to win.

Don’t mind Thawk. He’s all tawk. Negative minded. You are more positive. The glory days weren’t any different. We must find a QB that can improve more than Tanner has. Saturday Tanner starts but will take a quick seat if he doesn’t perform.

Sorry I don’t see how Tanner M going to play. Is he going to wear protection boot during the whole game? If he does then he should wear two protection boots so he can move around a ltittle

Funny but that’s the word from Ty Detmer. Tanner starts. The redshirt guy is his backup. Hoge isn’t cleared to play.

Not being funny but let those young QB get some rep so they can be ready for the rest of the season. And let Tanner healed.

I agree. Tanner’s problem isn’t physical. It’s mental. He’s making junior high mistakes on the field. Along with that, our offensive scheme is one dimensional and easy for defenses to figure out.

Good post-better off hyping basketball until they start losing more than they win. Don’t know if I can watch much more. I am paying attention to Virginia, however😁

Grasshopper and dew,

The season is gone with one poor win vs a FCS team, ranked below the 130 bottom and six straight losses vs decent teams. We have no more decent teams left to play on our schedule. It is impossible with the remainging teams, all ranked below 100, to be proud of any game we MIGHT win this season.

Therefore, use the remaining season as practice for something that can help us next season. We are probably just as good now as we have ever been. The problem is that all the teams we play have gotten much better while we have not.
The other teams have kept up with the new pace and made changes where changes have been needed, while we have not. The other teams are getting more talented athletes with 4-5 stars, while we have not with few acceptions.

Grasshopper and Dew

There is nobody left on our schedule that is ranked over 100. We should be able to get by with a little bit of help from our friends. I don’t want to see Tanner get hurt worse needlessly. There is nothing left of the season to save. It’s gone !!! There is no pride to be had this season.

Let’s use the balance of the season as practice time to find out who or what we really are and get ready with this extra practice to be better next season. No need to get Tanner hurt anymore needlessly.

WE need to change our thinking about how we recruit.

I would like to see, within legal and moral limits, more positive help from the Wards, the Stake Centers, and the Regions.

If we are going to compete against teams with 4-5 start players, we must compete with 4-5 star players. I think we are kidding ourselves when we talk like we believe we can teach a 2 star athlete to be as good as the natural 4-5 star athlete.

If we ever really hope to be invited into a P5 conference, we must remember that those teams play a minimum of 9 P5 teams each and every season. We have 7 years before the new TV contracts and the possibility for P5 conference expansion.

If we are planng on quitting the fight; giving up; finding no importance in inproving ourselves during the remaining 7 years, than I am very dissappointed in all of us from the fans, the coaches, the players, the University et.al.

On the other hand, if we are not quitters, we must stop doing the things that don’t work and find something different to do that does work.

A good starting point is to figure out how we are going to get those athletes that we must get if we truly do plan on competing successfully on the higher level.

Grasshopper,

“our offensive scheme is at best a high school scheme”.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/7/16441142/lima-senior-high-school-st-francis-de-sales-cole-mericle-kick-return.

Please open the attachment and watch two HIGH SCHOOL football teams that play with excitement. 24-25 score ending with five laderals much like the game plan out of Cal Berkly a few decades ago. They dare to try something different, Watch it.

Grasshopper,

We are not worse than those days, AS MUCH AS, the fact that all the teams that use to be our peers, GOT BETTER AND WE DID NOT. i.e. #6 TCU, #18 SDS, #21 UTAH, #41 Colorado St., #42 Houston, #52 SMU, #55 Boise St., #71 Wyoming, #77 AF, #79 Utah St, #88 Cinn, #100 N.Mex St., #101 Hawaii, all got better, while we did not.

If we want to go back to the old WAC Days, Pac 8 days, when Arizona and Az State changed the Pac 8 to Pac 10 leaving us behind, than those are two more teams that we can add to our list of former peers that got better while we did not.

This season only #105 Freson State, #110 UNLV, #113 E.Carolina #125 San Jose State and #128 UMASS are ranked below us while we are at # 102.

CLAUSEWITZ,

I do agree with almost all of your points. I think that it is great that finally we are brain storming on how we can get better,
and yes, I do believe that if not all, at least the general mood of the various boards do have an impack on the coaches and the AD decision makers.

I have said it many times before, we should stop using our missionary program and our honor code as reasons for failure.
instead, we should be brainstorm on what different things we can do to be successful.

A reminder to all ouf us that we are not the only Church School with high standards. TCU, BAYLOR, BOSTON COLLEGE, ND, BYU AND OTHERS ARE ALL CHURCH SCHOOLS WITH HIGH STANDARDS.

Yes we can point to SMU a couple decades ago, Baylor, most recently, but we at BYU had our problems slightly more than a decade ago also.

My point is, if something no longer works, do we keep trying to force it to work or do we brain storm until we find some changes that can work?

That is what happens to a football program on the outside looking in. With the P-5 professional division versus the G-5 and indy outsiders the P-5 money grubbers get all the best players and the big money. Over time the difference between the P-5’s and the G-5’s and lesser indy’s, the story is the same as when the power leagues created the BCS then the so-called playoff (reserved for power 5 teams). BYU is the victim of the anti-Mormon agenda of the liberal left and the changed morality of society.