Is this reason for liberals to be against religion valid?

God hasn’t chosen perfect people to call has prophets and prophetess ever. So, why presume their political, social and economic philosophies are correct? Just because they are prophets doesn’t mean they don’t have prejudices and misguided ideas about economics, money and so on. On matters of Doctrine, they are guided and do the Lord’s work. Are you unhappy that your liberal brothers refuse to override the Lord’s doctrines and commandments concerning homosexual behaviors and marriage?

Jim Hawks,

I think that I agree with what I think you are saying.
I am trying not to generalize, but that is very difficult to express my feelings without some generalizing. (forgive me).

When I was a kid in the 30’s & 40’s. I remember that the Catholic Church was a big issue with us.

It was said at those times, that the Catholic Church and the Mormon Church were the only two Churches that claimed to be the only true church on the face of the earth. None of the other Protestant Churches made such a claim.

At that time we talked about the dark ages that took the priesthood away from the Catholics. We criticized the Catholics for believing that the Pope was Infallible. Only the Son of God, Jesus Christ, was capable of being infallible.

I’m not sure how many years had passed from that time, that we were told that those teachings were never scripture but just someone’s opinion, but it came during a time, that we started believing that our General Authorities were
infallible. ( call it what you will , divine revelation-- Inspiration–communication with God etc.)

The next big push was the war in heaven, with 3 decades of my life passing with those teaching before a General Authority announced in our General Conference Meetings that the war in heaven was never Scripture but just someone’s opinion. We were told instead that it was the Cane/Abel scenario that caused the decedents of Cane to be cursed with a black skin and prohibited them from holding the Priesthood.

The next General Conference we were told that it was not Cane killing Able that caused the black people to be cursed with a black skin and prohibited them from holding the Priesthood but instead, It was one of he mysteries that we do not understand but all will be know and clarified in the hereafter.

Next within the decade or maybe 15 -20

years later, (1978), we were told that now is the time for the Black people to have full membership in the Church and full fellowship in the Church, and enjoy the priesthood and all of the blessings that the rest of us enjoy in the Church.

Now the next big push is the Gays and Lesbians issue. I don’t want to wait for another 2-3 decades to be told that our quest against the Gays and Lesbians was really never doctrine but just somebodies opinion.

Instead, I want us to be a group of citizens in the Church that looks for the good in all people of all color, of all nationality, of all faiths, and of all sexual preferences instead of always finding fault in one group of people or another.

It is time that we exercise our ability to show love to all people. We should start loving our neighbor as ourselves. We should start doing onto others as we would have them do onto us. We should remember that It is God that created all of us, Black, White, Latino, Asian, Native American, Mid Eastern, and all others. It is God that created all of us, straight, gay or other. Who among us is qualified to judge the work of God and his creations?

Let’s not wait 2-3 decades to correct our current mistakes. (If you believe they are indeed mistakes).

I don’t even know where to begin with this pile of horse manure. Just the statement God makes people gay and straight makes my head explode! God doesn’t make you and me. Our earthly parents did that. All Father and heavenly mother did was give our intelligence a spirit body to be inside of. We choose freely to be gay or straight. If you choose gay then your brain actually changes to something different called a reprobate mind. This would allow you to do unseemly things that you would not do otherwise. See Romans Chapter 1 for the doctrine.
All the other stuff sounds like you have jumbled up facts with age.

Why am I being singled out and dragged into this conversation? I wouldn’t have even known about this if if hadn’t come to my attention in my email inbox.

I’m really not sure why I was specifically addressed in your comment but when the post starts out with “Jim Hawks” … it leads me to believe that person is speaking directly to me.

I am on cougarfan once a week now, if that, and I rarely post something for a number of different reasons… this very thing being one of those reasons.

This site drives me crazy…

Getting close to football time I can tell!!!

I keep trying to like this sight… it just doesn’t cut it.

Weak…

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3695268/stop-whining-o.gif

KC,
Which scriptures in the Bible, in our opinion, should we not pay attention to, do to it being outdated and replaced with more important documents other than the Bible? Which documents, in your opinion, are more important and more accurate than the Bible?

Didn’t the New Testament of the Bible, since Jesus Christ, take the place of the Old Testament of the Bible?

I am confused. When was the New Testament replaced and with which literature was it replaced by?

I don’t think that you are referring to the DC or the BM or even the Pearl of Great Price. Are you referring to the DSS?

I think that it is dpangerious to suggest that the Bible is no longer valid.

KC’S post and Ronald’s reply reminded me of an article I read years ago that helped me strengthen my testimony of the Old Testament and deal with feelings of unworthiness I felt because I had a hard time taking a literal approach to many of the stories.

http://mormonmatters.org/2008/01/25/churchs-official-position-on-biblical-interpretation/

I don’t see that the translation has anything to do with whether some event is literal or not. The translation would be directly related to the docrines and commandments and what is meant.
Take Romans Chapter 1. No one discounts the perversed society of the time. But, some interpret that God allows homosexual acts and some don’t. Words like “seemly” makes it like there is a question. Although, in context with the entire chapter, the acts are grouped with all the other grievous sins.