In Game Comments

Too many end runs. We can still pass the ball.

What’s this “even if we lose” nonsense?

BYU is going to win this game. Now I will say something that you might not want to hear…

“Have faith brother!”

Sorry! BYU once lost a basketball game up 7 with three seconds left. It ain’t over 'til it’s over . . .

Are you old enough to remember the bowl game where (Vai Sikahema?) fumbled the game winner on a runaway touchdown? He was all alone, and I think it was on the three yard line. Anyone remember that one?

Our longest drive of the night only lasted six minutes. Most of them have been 2-3.

What is the defense doing? The QB has all day long to throw…

Do they onside kick it, or play for the stop?

If they onside kick it and recover, the game is over. And not in a good way for us . . .

We are playing not to lose. And we may lose now

I hope someone for BYU is watching the clock. It stopped after the first run play for a good 5 or 10 seconds for no reason. UA has called a timeout now but this is nonsense.

Run the clock!!!

They can’t stop it anymore now and they can’t stop the run.

Wow!

I still think we’ll have a losing record, but it sure feels good to win the opener. And a middle of the road Pac 12 team to boot!

That game wasn’t as close as the score indicated.

Give the game ball to the OL! Outstanding except for a few penalties. This offensive staff is going to get BYU back in the game. 7-5 Looks good now or 8-4 If they beat Cal

Wow, nice win for a change. I better dust off my Y Tie for church. Yeah, OL save our day. Good win and hope we don’t see another Pac 12 Ref Homers next week against Cal!

good overall game. they still need to work on things. but I think we solved the Oline problem, even if we had to use two freshman to do it (Empey and Christensen).

defense is another story… not sure what to think.

can’t wait till Monday or Tuesday when Hans Olsen/PK/ Jake Scott from 1280 the zone has to eat crow for say BYU will lose.

Grimes called a very good game. I would have liked a few more balls down field to Simon and Romney.
Our Oline just pushed Az around all night. wow and with two Freshmen. Canada is much stronger this year.

The only weak spot on the team was DBs getting beat (kind of thought that might happen)
Going on the road and winning was just what we all needed.

Fantastic recap, Chris. I’ll add the following:

1. Wilcox made one great play in the 4th, but that guy is a TD or a penalty waiting to happen.
  2. EMPEY (FR) AND HOGE (Soph) ARE TOTAL STUDS. I was very nervous about underclassmen starting on the OL. But Hoge made Zona’s Senior 300+NG, #99, look absolutely STUPID, and Empey created similar carnage on the AZ line. Wow. That was awesome.
  3. Zero TOs. Zero sacks. That is good. Actually, REALLY GOOD.
  4. But also zero takeaways, and 10 penalties. That is bad. Actually, REALLY BAD. Granted, we were in a spy/prevent cover 3 for almost the entire game, and it’s much harder to create turnovers when you don’t try to pressure the QB.
  5. NFL scouts just saw Kaufusi play over half the passing downs as a 6’9"/280 mike/spy linebacker, and he chased down both Tate and Taylor in space.
  6. I think Al Bakri will play himself in the NFL as a blocking back and special teams player. He is devastatingly good at what he does. He overran one block on a flanker sweep late in the game, but that was the only block I saw him miss all game. When he caught a pass in the right flat and picked up a head of steam, the DB #8 actually turned his back and fell to the ground hoping to avoid contact. Al Bakri wound up kind of tripping over him, so I guess a tackle is a tackle, huh???
  7. I would really prefer Bushman get more than ONE FREAKING TARGET per game.
  8. Magnum still seems inaccurate to me, particularly when he has to put some mustard on the throw.
  9. I love it when BYU wins, and especially when we can beat a P5 team, even an average one like Zona.
  10. I might have mentioned that I think Empey and Hoge are pretty good.

Good post. I generally agree with it. 3rd Quarter won the game. Good to see Mangum wake up. Squally had a great game. Good passing TD to Bushman. Nice catch by WR in 2nd half.