I am 100% in favor of the hire of Jeff Grime

So do I. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look at the challenges we face and embracing those challenges doesn’t mean we’re making excuses. We’re just seeing the real situation and adapting to it to give ourselves the best chance.

Could we be perfect and win a NC? Sure. But that’s a long shot.

I think the bar is 1/10 years NY6 bowl. avg 10 wins and a competitive identity. Would that be enough for you? I’m not saying don’t for a title if you get the chance but I see this as possible and exciting. I do think we’d have to spend more to get there.

It’s funny-i just watched Boise State romp over Oregon. I’ve watched Boise State win three Fiesta Bowls and romp over P5 school on a regular basis. I know that they would love to be in a P5 conference, and frankly, if how competitive you could be was all that mattered they would be in-but it’s not. In BYU s case however there is nothing that should be holding them back. This year was an aberration. Generally BYU would be competitive WITH at least half of the P5 teams in existence and on good years 90%. No the fact is that our religious history and beliefs make people nervous. Read the media sources. BYU was always in the top recommendations to be added to the BIG 12. Then came the protests from the LBGT WITH LETTERS written to every University president in the BIG12. Now this year’s performance just gives added fuel to excuse why we aren’t invited. For the criteria for what it takes to be in a major conference, we have long ago exceeded what we needed to do. Frankly, I don’t care. Can you imagine how P5 Universities hate be whipped by the BSUs and BYUs of the world and how our fans love beating them. The BSU victory over the high powered Oregon offense in a dominating defensive performance was as sweet as I’ll watch this year

Hey, we could sign it with ourselves and then watch it with ourselves. Don’t forget to bring the postum, green jello and funeral potatoes.

BYU TV would sign the deal for 25-30 million with the Athletic department for the right to broadcast all athletic teams including all FB games. Basically take the place of ESPN and agree to share all FB games with ESPN for a fee. It would kick start the FB program and money would be provided for all athletic programs. The big P5 schools would not out earn BYU and the money would be kept in house. BYU is putting lots of resources into the TV programming and if BYU puts every game on national TV the schools we play would get paid also. We already have the platform in place and it would be a huge deal for exposure and it would circumvent the entire P5 monopoly. It would basically take the money from BYU”s left pocket and put it in the right one. I bet the P5 teams we play, unless their preferred TV vender picks up the game, will love to play another game on national TV. BYU TV programming would continue to grow its audience and the advertisers who are just beginning to find BYUTv will continue in a major way. Basketball could also broadcast every game. Who would want to come play at BYU if they were on national tv? Who wouldn’t? The only cost that would truly be extra would be the cost of transporting the TV crew and equipment to every venue. I would take the chance and up the ante and would be willing to contribute … 8 year trial would be all it would take to see what happens.

Well Jim, The past 4 General Conferences talks has a lot to do with us needing to get better at how we treat others not of our faith.

If the Apostles sees a problem, then maybe we do have a problem with how we treat one another.

Has nothing to do with keeping a standard, what we believe in, or following a Prophet. we can do that and still be nice to others who do not believe as we do…

Well, for the most part they are probably talking to the members in Utah because those are the ones that get all the attention. Of course I didn’t get that from the talks, only that we always try to do more service for others, which is something we’ve done here as long as I’ve been around. We had a 70 come speak to us a week after the fires started and that was nice, but most of the time we are an afterthought out here. Our building is contaminated with smoke. The last 2 sacrament meetings people have left with burning eyes and poor breathing. We have a really old ward too…

The fire completely surrounded our community and valley and we didn’t see the sky for 2 weeks. If we get any significant rain here, we will have flooding problems to deal with soon.

I wonder how fires like the ones here would be responded to in Utah…

Breaks my heart to hear all that damage. Pray for rain. You guys had a perfect storm of a very deep snow pac with high spring growth and a very dry fall/winter. Couple that with a high pressure that would not move for weeks and those legendary Santa Ana winds…a once in a 100 year fire.

I was headed south on I-15 and caught up to a caravan of fire trucks and support headed to Ca to fight the fires. On every overpass here in Utah they had local fire fighters lights on and waving. I honked and waved to everyone of those trucks as I passed them by. Personally know some of the fire fighters. Lets hope this week you have some relief.

Jim,
We have had our share of fires as well… The people in Utah (as well as Members) responded just as well as your people in California… In fact there are several groups from Utah right now in California helping with the fires.

We had a massive fire down by Cedar Breaks that threatened a lot of homes… Members helped others get their things moved and help even try to save some of the property by working to build fire breaks and clear brush from around the homes…

We had Wards and Stakes set up temporary shelters for the people who had to be evacuated…

So I know you hate all things in Utah because some idiot ripped of your dad. But to say people in Utah would respond to a disaster is tasteless and basically I thought you were better than that… maybe not.

I know my neighbors provided service for me while I have been laid up with Foot Reconstruction surgery for the past 4 months, they came and mowed and trimmed my lawn, brought food in so my wife would not have to cook, visited me on a consistent basis, made sure that things that I would normally take care of was done…

So yea… People in Utah have their issues… but then so does everyone else, But there are a lot of good honest folks here in Utah that simply try to do the best they can with their families and neighbors without praise or seeking for attention.

1 Like

no comment…

You misunderstood my post Floyd. I guess I wasn’t clear about it. People in Utah actually respond better to the needs of other members than we do out here. When you live next door to somebody or in the same neighborhood, it is easier to help them. Also, the church is bigger in Utah so when a disaster happens, the church is quicker to respond because of it. I said the smoke and ash was bad here and not much has been done about it. Not much can be done I guess… so we will have burning eyes for the next month at church until the hvac system clears itself out.

I totally agree with that. There are a lot of people in Utah that do all of that. It’s true.

So telling you to “Take a deep breath” and relax does not work? :laughing:

Do you think the church could authorize some breathing masks like the ones the fire fighters use?

I did not realize that you were close to the fires, I have friends that said they live close to the mountains and could literally look out their back window and see the fires…

What’s with all the fires? It seems I can not watch the news without California having a new fire these days…

Look at a map of the Thomas fire, it is the 3rd largest in the history of the state now. I live in Oak View, near Ojai and we were completely surrounded. “Close” is an understatement. I could look out any window of my house and see fire burning.

Don’t get me started on all the reasons for all the fires.

Just suffice it to say that politics and obsession with money are the main factors that create these disastrous fires.

Really? I think you misread what I was posting. Go back and “read” what I posted. I was giving you a hug, buddy.

I also agree that Cal politics has ruined a great state. There is so much that can be done to minimize catastrophic fires but liberals, wilderness alliances, and politicians get in the way of good ol fashion common sense.

Nature did just fine with periodic fires to clean out the undergrowth from time to time. That is the single greatest deterrent to catastrophic fires but nature’s guardians, whoever they may be, decided that “pristine wilderness” and “old growth” is haloed ground and our fire suppression policies have ruined nature.

I said “no comment” because I didn’t want my personal message to you to be seen by just anyone. It might get me in trouble…

I hope you read it. :grin:

yeah, I read it. Did not know it was a personal message and now I cannot go back and find it. Anyhow, did you get some relief with the last storm?

what storm? We haven’t had any meaningful rain in years… :sob:

Severe drought, water supply getting sketchy and now the hills around us are black and in danger of flooding problems if it rains any significant amount.

Heard a pod cast today about the Grimes hire. Some points that resonates…

Detmer is most likely gone. Has to do with the very thing that caused BYU, and Detmer, to fail this year. Detmer had no experience and he was not connected to coaching circles and the biggest point…Detmer did not come here with his chosen coaches. Detmer had to deal with Coaches that BYU hired. Here’s you staff, how work with them. The same thing can be said for Sitake. Very rare that you don’t pick your own staff.

Grimey (his nick name) will be bringing his own coaches. Tough deal for our old coaches but that is college terrain. Some may be LDS coaches just because Grimes was here those past years and knows plenty of LDS coaches, and some may be existing coaches. If Grimey does not keep Detmer, BYU would be wise to find a place for Detmer as a PR type guy because he is legend.

Grimes will do as much to right the ship as Heath Shroyer has done for our basketball team.

tlarimer.
Thank yo for your post and information. It all makes sense and if valuable information. Ron

What about all those democrats crying about Trump winning the election? I thought for sure it would fill up several lakes… :open_mouth:

I thought you were getting rain this week as the high pressure is breaking down. Utah has been bone dry for months too but the storms are starting to trickle in. We got a whooping 1 inch yesterday.