I am 100% in favor of the hire of Jeff Grime

The solution to a lot of the FB problems is good coaching. There is nothing stopping BYU TV from signing a deal worth 25 million a year for the rights to broadcast all BYU FB games each season. The advertisers would start to come as the team started to turn things around. It would give us more money than any P5 school and any recruit would have every game on national TV. Problem solved. Darrel and Reid etc would consider coming to save the program if we could pay them decently. Can you imagine the PR from a move like this? The P5 boys would be ticked and there is nothing they could do about it. Church owned business and alumni could supply the money for the first 7 or 8 years until things were solvent. It isn’t like we couldn’t afford to do that. We could also pay the away teams more money to be on BYU tv than their current TV offers so they would agree to be on BYU tv over other venues. ESPN would be the man out right now but they are probably hoping to not renew their contract with us anyway because we are so bad!

2 mil a yr is more than most P5 schools pay. Not the top ones though.

It’s ok to disagree, it’s all a matter of perspective. I feel that we are at a disadvantage in recruiting and hiring great coaches because of who we are and the values we represent and that is great-because it is who we are. If you take the top 100 recruits in the US, most likely none of them want to come to BYU for multiple reasons and the same with coaches. The Meyers and Sabans don’t want to coach here. That is a disadvantage, even when recruiting against the likes of Utah and don’t tell me we recruit as well as Utah because we don’t as evidenced by our record for the last ten years. What we need to do is quit losing great LDS talent that we keep losing. Take Parker and Jackson who made Haws and Emery look like kids. In this era you are going to have to pay to get the coaching you need to compete and a system that attracts good talent. And for heavens sakes, people need to quit with the injury excuses and so forth. We weren’t good from day one of the Portland game and any reasonable sports authority could see it. BYU made a good start with Grimes and I hope they continue to upgrade and do the best they can with what they have to work with. That’s what I meant about a stacked deck.

Wait until Trump finds out about that :slight_smile:

Sundance,

I totally agree with this part of your post:

" It’s ok to disagree, it’s all a matter of perspective.

“don’t tell me we recruit as well as Utah because we don’t as evidenced by our record for the last ten years.”

“If you take the top 100 recruits in the US, most likely none of them want to come to BYU for multiple reasons and the same with coaches”.

I believe that much of this (on the part of the non LDS players,) is because they do not want to be forced to live Mormon values, if they happen to be Nazarene, Baptist, Methodist, Seven Day Adventist, Pentacostal, Christian Science,
Catholic,or any of the other Christian choices, of Buddest, or Jew, or Hindu, or Muselum, or any other religion or Athest,
or agnostic. They have their own values that they want to be respected, which may or may not be the same as ours.

I think for the members and non members alike, they want to be in a University that gives them the best chance to get into the NFL. If they could get into a P5 conference, their changes for the NFL are greater than if they are in a G5 conference.

I think that members and non members alike, do not want to be embarrassed by things that are said about others that do not believe the same as we do. (I think it is good to stick to your own beliefs, but not good to try to force others to live as we believe).

I think that we were all given our free agency to make choices and I believe that it should be God to judge and reward or not reward according to the choices we make. I do not believe that it is our duty or in our best interest to Judge others. I believe that we should leave all judging to God.

" What we need to do is quit losing great LDS talent that we keep losing".

I think there is much that the Wards, the Stake Centers, the University, and the General Authorities could do, within the limits of the NCCA Rules, and within the High Moral ground, that can be done to help in this area, if there is a committment to do so, which so far is lacking.

" In this era you are going to have to pay to get the coaching you need to compete and a system that attracts good talent"

" And for heavens sakes, people need to quit with the injury excuses and so forth"

" We weren’t good from day one of the Portland game and any reasonable sports authority could see it"

" BYU made a good start with Grimes and I hope they continue to upgrade and do the best they can with what they have to work with".

Wow, I do agree, but how much better it would have been to be able to pay the price to get him as a line coach that also calls the run plays. Use his vast experience to have him help us get a OC to take that job which would require the University to pay the competative price in order to get him.

If we want to drink orange juice, we can’t expect to get any by just squeezing lemons. We must buy and pay for the oranges.

I totally do not understand this part: “That’s what I meant about a stacked deck”.

I don’t agree with this part of your post:

" I feel that we are at a disadvantage in recruiting and hiring great coaches because of who we are and the values we represent and that is great-because it is who we are."

I think that the disadvatage comes from our unwillingness to pay a competative wage, we are required to hire, as a HC, a memeber in good standing, and we are required to promote the Church instead of just coaching football." This is all self inflicted disadvantages that we can not blame others for.

You don’t understand what I’m saying.

If the goal is to be like the service academies then we don’t need to be p5 or pay a lot for coaches.

If the goal is something else, we may have to consider something else.

Thawk,

" There is nothing stopping BYU TV from signing a deal worth 25 million a year for the rights to broadcast all BYU FB games each season. The advertisers would start to come as the team started to turn things around. It would give us more money than any P5 school and any recruit would have every game on national TV. Problem solved. Darrel and Reid etc would consider coming to save the program if we could pay them decently. Can you imagine the PR from a move like this? " etc.

Never before, have we been so closely to being in 100% agreement, as in this last post of yours. Finally, we are starting to think outside of the box and make positive suggestions rather than just find criticism. I appreciate your comments and hope that it will start others to comment offering solutions on what can be done, instead of why things can’t be done.

Thank you again for your post.

Ron

Did you add in the retirement that coaches at the Academies get?

Not only is the Navy coach getting some nice $$$$, but next couple of years, he gets a military retirement as well.

1 Like

Just Curious, who would BYU TV sign a 25 million dollar deal with? BYU? ESPN? who?

Second, BYUTV is big with the LDS members, not so much with all the other groups.

Grasshopper,

In our very first game of the season, playing vs. a FCS team, we looked very poor in that win. It never got better.

No one person, player or coach was to blame. Collectively, there was no spark in the team. Collectively, there was no swagger. Collectively, there appeared to be a gross lack of effort. Granted, appearances can be deceiving. The outcome was disasterious. Again, I see no one person as the blame. Collectively, nothing worked as it should have.

I totally agree that we have to pay a commensurate salary.and many of our limitations are self-inflicted. BUT they still hamper our abilities. I have no problems with the honor code, but it should be on a personal policing policy. BYU-is starting to look like the old Russian KBG. I FIND IT LUDICROUS THAT THE STANDARDS FOR YOUNG KIDS ARE MORE DEMANDING THAN FOR THOSE ENTERING THE MOST SACRED EDIFICES IN the world. I apologize if my comments are offensive, but we are dealing with kids just out of high school.

Valid questions and I don’t think BYU is close to being able to demand the kind of money that Big Ten and SEC schools get or for that matter some of the PAC 12 schools. If BYU doesn’t turn their program around they will be an afterthought to ESPN, because all those rabid Lds fans around the country will quit tuning in. Sometimes you have to spend a buck to make two. Hopefully that happens

tlarimer,

I watched about 10 minutes of the Hawaii game. There were more empty seats than full seats. There were first advertisements that seats were half price, next came the advertisement that many seats were available at $15.00.
Next the admission was free. They could not get anyone to watch this game.

This is preview of comming attractions if we do not do something to right the ship. We were once, not so long ago, so proud that we were know as the University that once sold out every home game with 64 thousand in attendane and we traveled very well, ofter having more fans than the home team.

We have tried in the past, and in the past, it often worked well, that we could pay far less than the competative salary for a coach and the coach would still be happy for the invitation and privledge to coach at BYU.

We have in the past, been able to get a coach willing to coach for less than the competative pay. We use to, in the past, get away with it.

This is the present and we now have proof that we can no longer get away with it. Do we keep trying over and over again doing the same thing that does not work, or do we make the necessary changes in order for us to survive? Is just surviving enough, or do we need to be successful.

Is Football important enough for the University to fully invest and for the fans to fully support, or do we follow the lead of the decision makers who’s actions show that it is not important enough to make changes in the way we do things, the way we act, and the way we spend, and therefore, not important enought for the fans to support, as witnessed in Hawaii, which is the first BYU -Hawaii game at Hawaii that I missed attending since the `1980’s.

grasshopper,

It is not about money alone, however, money is a major part of the whole.

I think that another major part of the whole, is our attitude. Witness:

1. We expect coaches to be willing to work for less than they get anywhere else and be grateful for the opportunity.

2. We expect non Mormon recruits, to live Mormon Values, even when it differs from their own religious values.

3. We expect coaches to promote the Church in addition to coaching.

4. We openly criticise those with different values regarding the LGBT community.

5. We interfer, from Utah, with California voting politcs.

6. We complain that others are bias against us with out acknowledging our own bias agaist others with different values than our own.

7. We think that the system in football is stacked against us because we don’t want to conform to the rules of the P conferences. We don’t accept the fact that it is us that are the bias non conformers, but instead, try to blame others
    for our own inability to get along with others. We think that we are perfect and correct and all others that do not agree with us are imperfect and incorrect. That’s a major problem.

8. We think that it is not fair that we are expected to pay our coaches the competative salary that successful P5 coaches get paid and we complain loudly and fire good people because they are not as experienced at being as good as the successful P5 coaches that we now play against. We can not accept the fact that we may not be fair with our expectations of a low paying coach.

9. We are broadly known as the team that always blames others for our own shortcommings without ever accepting responsibility for our own actions.

10. Summary: While money is a major reason for our lack of success while playing vs P5 teams, it is only a part of the problem. The rest of the problem is the perception of Non Mormons about Mormons, particularly in sports, I hear it all the time.

Oh the sheer torture of trying to read one of Ron’s posts. I can’t decide which is more difficult, the length or the incoherency.

I love your passion for hoping that BYU will become an elite football program. Keep hoping for the impossible because that is what it is. Money won’t solve the problems, getting the best LDS athletes won’t solve the problems. Nothing can solve all the cards that are stacked against BYU and many, many other good football programs across the country.

Look at which teams are in the playoffs year after year so far… it is the same teams from the same conferences with little variation. Those teams are like farm clubs for the NFL as well, so the money stream is not going anywhere. Those teams will continue to attract the best high school players, the best coaches and will continue to have the most money. The routine has been established, the ncaa is corrupt and college football is corrupt.

As soon as you all realize that, we can end these worthless, silly discussions about paying coaches more money, etc.

It’s time for a reality check.

The reality check is that the entire world is corrupt, but that doesn’t keep us from hoping the David’s knock off the Goliaths. In fact that’s what keep some of us getting up in the mornings. Athletics is a microcosm of life and we identify ourselves to those institutions that best represent how we view ourselves. Maybe Brigham Young should just toss athletics and build a medical school and churn out doctors instead.

Occasionally David will knock off Goliath. BYU has done it in the past.

The problem I have is that too many BYU “fans” have this ridiculous idea that BYU can become a Goliath and compete with the other elite Goliath’s if they just pay somebody more money.

It’s ridiculous, it’s not going to happen and honestly, I’m sick and tired of reading posts that criticize the church about it.

Jim Hawks,

“The routine has been established, the ncaa is corrupt and college football is corrupt”.

Again, I disagree with you, but hopefully much more politely compared to how you disagree with me.
I will say nothing about the torturous remarks you make in trying to discredit all that I say.
I will say nothing about your apparent inability to understand the message which I try to convey.

Instead, I will try to find some common ground which we may agree on.

" I love your passion for hoping that BYU will become an elite football program. "
Thank you. One must have a dream before a dream can come true.

“Look at which teams are in the playoffs year after year so far…”
Yes, the playoffs are to determine which is the best team in the Nation, most capable of beating all other teams.
It is not to determine who’s religion is the best or the most true, or who sends out the most missionaries. No, that is not what the playoffs are about.

" Those teams are like farm clubs for the NFL as well,"
Of course, the teams that are the most committed to football will not only attract the best coaches, but also the best athletes, and that combination, (it makes sense) should be the farm teams for the NFL with all of it’s rich rewards.
Should it be any other way?

“the ncaa is corrupt and college football is corrupt.”
Na Jim, the ncaa is not anymore corrupt than any other major business. It has it’s rules that most every University follows, except we want special consideration becuse we believe that we are better than eveyone else and everyone else should make special considerations for us because we are so much better than everone else that follows the rules. Right?
Is this all to inconherent for you to follow? Or perhaps the reply is to torturious for you to indure.

Ron, just a little info on the question you asked about how much is the Y losing on a stadium that is half full…if it is a $25 average for football tickets and there are 30,000 people missing in the seats… that is $750,000 per game. Somehow I think that is a little high on the aver ticket price, but 6 home games a year puts the loss at $4,500,000 tops! Good P5 coaches earn about that amount. We need TV revenue more than anything and that is where it comes back to the product on the field! TV and bowl money dwarfs the season ticket sales.

I think the incoherent comment by Jim had something to do with the post you made was so long that by the time you got to the end, you had done a 180 degree on whether money was a small issue to money being a big issue :slight_smile:

BYU is a church owned school. Do you see that changing? Because it is and because we are the only church holding the authority of God, we do need to reflect this in how students and faculty behave.
I taught for 16 years at a private Catholic high school. While maintaining their standards was easy as long as I maintained the standards of the LDS Church, I still had the requirement to reflect a positive attitude and behaviors that were required by the Catholic school. We had teachers from several different faiths including Jewish and Muslim backgrounds. Several Protestants too. Possibly an atheist and a couple of lesbians. They too were required to live up to the standards of the school and the Catholic Church faith. No one had to convert but we had to behave properly.
There were several non-catholic students that attended. Some were athletes. As were the teachers, the students were required to attend all Masses. We didn’t have to participate in all of the pageantry. But we sat quietly and reverently. Stood when asked to stand. Teachers didn’t have to cross themselves but the students had to learn the ritual. So, why would you think that non-members ifnthe LDS faith don’t have to live up to our standards and the standards of BYU? I’m always puzzled why you think this.