How Does The Offensive Coordinator Choose his Starting Quarter BacK?

I am going on record that Hoge will not be the QB at BYU unless injury to the other 3 ahead of him. Crutch will be the guy to take the reigns. Tanner will back up Critch or the back up!

that would be my hope. go cougs

There is a rumor on sports talk that they are going to switch Hoge to the defensive side of the ball (probably Safety).

I think too many people are blaming Tanner for last year, yes he did look horrible, but I put the majority of Mangum play on the coaches, specifically Ty. He tried to force Tanner to be a pro style QB, where Tanner talents really do not play well in that scheme.

Last year coaching staff (offense) was inexperienced, do not provide solid structure or accountability. this year staff, has close to 100 years of combined D1 experience, where accountability is required, not just wished for.

What sort of quarterback is he, then? Certainly not a dual-threat/runnning or option or spread offense quarterback. If he can’t do pro-style, then why develop him at all?

If you watched him in the Nebraska game as well as Boise State, you will see he likes to roll out and pass. Not sure what the correct term for the scheme, but under Anae he did pretty well.

He is not a pocket QB, he is more like the old style QB who would scramble to make a play happen.

Hope that helps, did not sleep well last night, so I am not sure I am making any sense.

This is a direct quote from Coach Lamb about Tanner (See the new thread I started for more details)
““Tanner has all the physical skills,” Lamb said. “He did not respond well to the previous coaching staff. I think there is great potential there for him to improve because he seems to be responding better to this style of coaching.”

I think this backs up my theory as too why Tanner looked so bad last year.

[quote=“Floyd_Edwards, post:46, topic:7993, full:true”]
If you watched him in the Nebraska game as well as Boise State, you will see he likes to roll out and pass. [/quote]

Those are the two Hail Mary games, yes. I wouldn’t say he “likes to” roll out — when in trouble, he would sprint to the right (never the left), and heave a desperation pass. It didn’t work against UCLA on 4th down. I actually don’t think it’s a sustainable, good plan for an approach.

I didn’t see him scramble to make a play happen. On two occasions, in a do-or-die situation, he ran right and heaved the ball. That’s what we will remember about him (forgetting last year).

If you watch many of Tanner games when he was under Anae, his general practice was to get outside the pocket so that the receivers had time to get open, and the fact that the front line was not that protective in the first place.

I watched several old clips, and in almost all of them, he was moving outside to pocket to help create space for the receivers.

I also think Tanner’s problems last year was more on Detmer inexperience as OC/QB coach… sorry, I love Ty as the player he was, not for his coaching ability while at BYU.

Floyd,

I agree on this full post of yours as I take the liberty to add to it. “I think too many people are blaming Tanner for last year”

I love Ty and I hope that he tries again. I think he knows that it was a mistake to try to force a pro style approached onto a QB that had a hard time, at best, to adopt to it.

Also, I think that depression set onto the WR’s to the point that they could not make the needed effort to get open on time, if any time at all.

Tanner lost a lot of his Mojo once he lost his starting position to a back up position.

Last year was one event after another, and continuous through out the season, of “Murphy’s Law” in action.

I would like to see Tanner have a chance to redeem himself and keep his job until such time that he proves that one of the other canidates would be better.

If indeed Hodge does go to the defensive side of the ball, I think that would be a good move allowing the field to be narrowed to the remaining 3 canidates.

I would like to see Critchlow as the back up and Wilson to lead the Scout team for season 2018.

Floyd,

Again, I totally agree with your assessment, “If you watched him in the Nebraska game as well as Boise State, you will see he likes to roll out and pass.”

Indeed, it is well documented that Tanner is a scrambler and does much better on the move instead of staying in the pocket. What he was forced to do last season was totally un-natural for him. This season, he is being coached to his own individual strength, which I strongly believe is the right approach.
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Floyd,

When we stick strictly to football and not get side tracked by other issues, we are always on the same page.
You hit the nail on the head when you pointed out one of the major problems of last years WR’s never getting open which made Tanner look very bad.

As you said in your posting, when Tanner, under Anae, was aloud to leave the pocket and scramble, this gave the WR’s time to get open. When Tanner was forced into the Pro Style Pocket Passer, the WR’s did not have the time they needed to get open.

Before reading your post, my thinking was that it was just a big lack of effort for the WR’s in not being able to get open. My appreciation goes to you for the clarification Floyd, and my apologies to the WR’s. Thanks. Ron

Good grief! The answer is simple. The player with the most Grit!!! Didn’t you know :slight_smile:

Sorry, Bronco has left the building :wink:

I just hope with all the experienced coaches we have this year, they can get the offense moving again.

My main concern is defense, I am not sure if anyone noticed last year when the DC took over the D-line, they were not very good. Now that Kaufusi is “Retired”, I am not sure if the D-line will be good enough.

I don’t think the concept has left the building.

Floyd, grasshopper, Rubicon, fish, thawk, Sundance, texcoug, and Dave,

My guess is that Tanner will start, and the coaching staff wants Arizona Wild Cats to believe that Critchlow will be the starter. The Asst. HC, Lamb, gives the most praise to Critchlow, while making strong defense of Tanner’s poor showing last season. Also, I believe that the coaches already know who the strarter will be. Read the, (cut and paste) ,quotes below:

““Tanner has all the physical skills,” Lamb said. “He did not respond well to the previous coaching staff. I think there is great potential there for him to improve because he seems to be responding better to this style of coaching. He really struggled with the previous coaching staff’s style.”
“ while mentioning chemistry problems with the prior offensive coaching staff, which was overhauled in the offseason”. (Lamb, asst. HC speaking)”

He went on to super praise Critchlow, I believe to throw off the Arizona team, by saying:

With regards to who will be taking snaps when the Cougars open the season with Arizona, Lamb mentioned it may not be revealed beforehand.
“We may want our first opponent, Arizona, to not know who our quarterback is,” Lamb said. “People know who Zach Wilson is, he was heavily recruited and he can run fast, so if he is in the mix, it makes their preparation a little bit tougher. "

Regarding Hodge, he said:

“ Hoge may switch positions.”

The reason I bellieve the coaches already know who the starting QB will be, Lamb said:
"But in our building, we need to know who the guy is about Day 2 or 3.”

Floyd,

I agree that we need work on the Defense that seemed way too predictable last season. Schemes need to be mixed up much more and far less predictable.

However, don’t over look the O Line which #1, we have a brand new Center.
You know what 65.,000 screaming fans can do to a new center, while he is already being un-nerved, by playing a P5 team. You also know how a high snap or ground snap or one to the right or left instead of where it is intended to be, can do to determine the win or loss in a tight game.

#2 we still have a lot of holes to fill on the O line. Are we still recruiting? Will we bring in a JC transfer?, will there be position changes, or will we just have to get a whole lot better on the OL with what we have.

No matter how good the QB might be, regardless of which one is chosen, it will be hard to be successful without a great OL.