How bad is BYU football?

They did not “ban” on baptism of children with gay parents, What they did is said these children must wait until they are 18 to be baptized.

I agree that Gay relationships will never be sanction in the church, but the church is putting a lot of resources into helping members be more Christlike with their treatment towards gays. Look at Elder Christopherson’s brother and the media work up they did about that.

Correct. That’s what I meant. It’s not a permanent ban.

Being Christlike towards gays has always been the standard — it’s not a new thing. I know that there are some who think that teaching standards and commandments and not condoning gay marriage is by definition “mean,” but that’s not the case (as I’m sure you also believe).

Auto correct attack again…

" and I expect someday the LGBT community will be addressed and determined that it was opinion and not doctrine as to the way we see this community."

If it’s spelled out in the scriptures it is doctrine. Romans chapter 1 did so as well as other biblical verses. Based on definition of doctrine and the facts laid out in the Bible, you would be wrong.
As others have stated, this doesn’t mean we treat people badly. We simply reject the sin but not the sinner. If the sinner can’t agree, so be it.

“The one that gets me and NO ONE has been able to explain is the blacks and the priesthood… Brigham Young banned blacks from the priesthood for no apparent doctrinal reason… Our current First Presidency can find no documentation supporting the ban… Personally, I think I will wait until the Lord sorts it all out…”

Scott: Probably a correct call. I’m sure there was a doctrinal reason and perhapse one of the theories that was floated about was correct. Unless some document turns up or the Lord reveals why, we won’t know at this time.

Now, explain to me why in ancient Israel, Joseph, Judah and 9 other tribes were not allowed the priesthood? Only the tribe of Levi. Moses and Aaron must have been racists! :thinking:

When the Lord spared the Jewish firstborn during the Plague of the Firstborn in Egypt, He “acquired” them and designated them for this special role (Priesthood)

After the giving of the commandments on Mount Sinai, the Jewish people made and worshiped a golden calf. The only tribe that did not participate in this shameful act was the tribe of Levi. At this time, the firstborn lost their special status, and it was transferred to the Levites.

There is your answer…

Trying to compare the blacks not receiving the priesthood to the 11 tribes of Israel not getting the priesthood is a stretch… Especially since Joseph Smith ordained the priesthood on a black member, so it was okay in the days of the Prophet Joseph.

Like I said, I will wait for the Lord to explain it all…

Well, you error. Aaron, the levite priest, participated by making the golden calf.
Perhapse you answered your own question too. Something black’s did in the past prohibited or delayed them in receiving the priesthood. Why must we always insert our present day life and understanding into those who lived before us? That answer is pretty simple. There is a progressive faction in society that hates the very foundation of the United States of America. And they attempt to destroy all those who founded and built this country, as well as the Lord’s Church founders. Once that is done, they can destroy the Constitution and try to destroy the fulness of the Gospel. President Benson warned heavily and mightily against communism and fascism. We must not get caught up with those who seek to destroy the very foundations of this country and the Church :slight_smile:

Your funny Scott… I got that directly off the Jewish website…

The Tribe of Levi is more than Aaron.

Second, President Monson our current Prophet put out a statement that said there was NO REASON to ban Blacks from the priesthood that they could find.
Nothing was based in doctrine, nor was it based on anything that blacks did either during that time or in the pre-mortal estate (Which is one of the errors stated in Mormon Doctrine).

has nothing to do with progressive faction, it has to do with President Monson wanting to make our history transparent, admit the errors we made (Blacks and the Priesthood, Mountain Meadow, etc). for too many years the church whitewashed their history.

Like i said, I am not sure why BY did what he did, he was man just like all of us and could have made a mistake…who knows for sure? The Lord made it right, and later will let us all the know the facts… until then, It does not affect my testimony of the gospel… probably helps it, by knowing even great men like BY could have made mistakes and yet be a great leader.

So, are you saying BY was a fallen prophet? And, every other prophet between BY and SWK? There was a reason and maybe President Monson just wanted to bury it.
MMM was also BY’s fault and not the locals? So, BY is a racist and a murderer? Just because Monson doesn’t answer a question doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

The reasson they said wait until they are 18 is because at that age they are not children anymore, so yes they did say they don’t want children with gay parents to be baptized because of the family strife that it might cause. That is my opinion for why.

I’m curious if everyone is still happy that Mendenhall is not coaching at BYU anymore.

If you are, what are your reasons for still being happy?

did I say that Scott? no, I said that BY had no doctrinal or anything to ban the blacks… according to OUR CURRENT PROPHET!

I also said I do not know everything about why BY did what he did and waiting for the Lord to provide answers.

I just love you twisting what I say…

as for MMM, there is a really good book on it by three BYU historians that had access to the first presidency vault… I recommend you read it.

personally I think we are suffering from Bronco’s decisions.

actually they said that it would put children in a difficult situation when they are taught their parents relationship was wrong.

a bit different than a ban.

Yes, I am happy BM moved on because the program had become stale stuck in an above mediocre state but not good or great. But I wish BM well and have no anger or bitterness towards him. Sitake needs 5 years (unless we have more like this year) before we know if he will elevate the program above where BM had it.

I believe that was the Brethren reason they said.

I didn’t have a problem with him so much. My thing was the offense was so predictable. That hasn’t changed yet.

Well, my point is there is. Of course it’s all speculation. However, what we do know is BY was in the position to receive direction from the Lord through revelation. And, prophets that followed did not receive revelation to lift the ban until SWK. And, he received revelation from the Lord. So, the ban must have been from the Lord :slight_smile:
MMM was a sad thing to have happened.

SG: Just because players are younger coming off missions deosn’t mean that they will be any better than older players. It means that many players, especially those who go for two years of missionary service at age 18, will be trying to come back and get into playing shape without any varsity experience.

Good points Floyd. I also think that the ACC conference is like many conferences in football, the top 5 or 6 are quite good, but the bottom six or as bad as bad teams get, not as good as lower P-5 teams in other conferences like the Big 10, AAC in the G-5 and perhaps the big 12 (little Ten), and SEC conferences.I really believe that BYU would be a better fit into the AAC, not in the P-5 conferences.