How bad is BYU football?

Agreed. We have to do more than what this offense does.

1 Like

another nugget.
I fully agree with you. The way forward is to get Hoge back on the field with Tolutau to ancker the running game. This just in…BYU has a good short-yardage guy: Ula Toluta’u is a perfect 4-for-4 on converting rushing 3rd downs on 3rd-and-1/3rd-and-2. (Wrubell)
Sitake mentioned this post game at BSU…why is Tolutau only have 9 carries and just one after the second half?

You have to have a running game to eat some time and keep defenses honest. Hoge knows the system and Crutchlow is a band aide.

I’ll bet that he had some words with Detmer after the game.

we are now losing recruits… any correlation between how bad we are and losing these recruits?

also did you the kicker for Utah, who is one of the best in the country, tried for BYU (his family is long tome Y fans) and was cut by our current coaching staff?

They probably realized they couldn’t handle the HC is all.

Only you would say that about a returned missionary and fellow member of this church…

Oh, like all return missionaries remain active following the commandments. I think the main concern of the brethren is what is happening to return missionaries.

Be honest SG… it’s highly probably that these recruits are changing because BYU is headed on the wrong direction right now and Utah is looking like a better place to play football… That will change in the future at some point. In the meantime, BYU has to figure out some way to right the ship or this is going to be one of the worst seasons on record.

BYU will never catch up to Utah or other P-5 league teams so long as we are on the outside looking in. The front loaded indy schedule is not working this year. Last year it worked because we had two freaks, Taysom and Jamal. This year we don’t have these kind of players. So long as we are not in any conference BYU will continue to lose players to Utah. Look at the SUU players coming to play for BYU. It is an uphill climb for us. Hopefully next year these guys, especially RM’s like Ulou and Critchlow and others will have some more experience and growth both physically and with game experience than they have had so far this year. I also think that the younger missionary age adversely affects men’s sports, especially in football and basketball.

Why do you say that? They get back younger seems to be an advantage. Other schools have players start at 18 and do great. Younger the better!

Is the sky falling?

This tells me a lot about Detmer and his experience (lack thereof)…

Prediction

Sitake leaves BYU after the season for the HC job at Oregon State. For one, the Poly pipeline would be well-suited for a West Coast team like OSU. On local Sports Radio this morning, they were saying that Ken Niumateulo (sp) is an attractive candidate that OSU is looking closely at. Sitake was OSU’s DC prior to coming to BYU. Sitake has probably seen enough of the difficulties BYU faces (no conf, HC, few bruthas, etc) to know this is a sinking ship, at least for now.

As for who might be BYU’s new HC, if my prediction is accurate, a crazy prediction there is Darrell Bevell, the Seahawks longtime OC…who most Seahawk fans don’t care for. Bevell is an RM and a great guy. I could see him making the switch as he’s supposedly wanted to be a HC for a few years, yet no NFL team wants him.

Well, you are wrong…

Bevell would be a great OC/HC… Sitake would be a good DC. I would love to see Darrell come to Provo. Only issue is he makes 2.5 times what sitake does. Ken will not go to OSU. They are a bigger dumpster fire than BYU is right now. OSU has huge problems

Coach Ken went through a ton of drama with Navy AD when BYU was trying to hire him, and ended up getting a big raise at Annapolis.Plus they have him in the Fed Govt pension plan as a fringe benefit, so I don’t see him leaving there for a couple more years when he hits his 20. I always thought Gary Anderson was WAAAAY overrated. So he had like one really solid year when Chuckie Keaton was healthy, was average on the field and a disaster in the front offfice at Wisconsin, and has been the worst ever at OSU–I swear I hear people saying Avezzano was better… :slight_smile: You know I’ve always rooted for the Beavs, but their fans were stupid to run Mike Riley out, thinking they would do better…

1 Like

WOW, it’s halftime in Starkville, Miss. Our defense looks terrible. I guess my blue glasses are showing. Let’s try Joe Critchlow in the second half. Our defense needs to play more in the box. No fun. Bad season, bad team.

They need to go back to the drawing board and figure something out. This system will hopefully perform better against the second half, but they need to take that time and experiment with other options.

Hard to get something going when the refs won’t give the same pass interference calls to BYU that they gave to MSU early.

So true…

It’s not right to put him in with 3 minutes left. Put him in when the run game is still going to happen.