How bad is BYU football?

How can you evaluate Tanner? He hasn’t hardly played enough. And when he did, he looked pretty bad. Hoge was coming along. Had he not gotten hurt we would have won last night. Koy wasn’t ready.

I’m not just basing it on his actively pursuing poster boy status for anxiety and depression.

Mostly, it’s comparing how he deals with rushes and coverage. He clearly is scarred from the nightmare outings against Utah (35-0 1st quarter, fumbles and interceptions) and Michigan (31-0, fumbles and interceptions), and mentally, his goal when on the field is not to make big mistakes. So, he aims, gets rid of it fast (so as not to get sacked or fumble), and misses throws badly.

That has much more to do with sports psychology than anxiety/depression (unless it is anxiety/depression brought on by fumbles, interceptions, and sacks). :slightly_smiling_face:

Craig,

“I think we should start scheduling only non-Power 5 opponents. We just can’t compete physically with Wisc, LSU, etc.”

(And I might add, we are not willing to make any changes to make us competitive)

Do we give up so easily? is that what we are all about? Do we only want to play teams that we know we can win. Is a winning season all that important? Is getting a bowl game all that important?

What about respect? Are we satisfied with the respect we get playing G5 teams or FCS teams, or do we want to WORK for the respect that comes from playing the best teams in the Nation?

As for me, I would be much more proud having a 6-6 season or a 7-7 season playing the best teams in the nation, than
having a 10-2 or less season playing all G5 teams or a 12-0 season playing all FCS teams.

To me, true pride is worth working for. Lowering one standards as to whom we play, is false pride.

If you think that just playing G5 teams, without making any changes, will put us back on easy street, let’s put things into present day perspective:

Using most current rankings, that can only be worse for us after the rankings following the Utah State game:

We beat below 130, FCS Portland State

We lost to#10 Wiscon
We lost to # 18 Utah
We lost to # 28 LSU
We just lost to # 93 Utah State by 16 points. Not even close.

Based on what happened at #093 Utah State, we now know that we will lose to
#21 Mississippi state

60 Boise State.

#91 Hawaii

The only teams we have left that we can win is:
#110 Fresno State
#116 E. Carolina
#117 UNLV
#122 San Jose St.
#128 UMASS

If we win all of these games, with no upsets, we will have a 6-7 losing season with no bowl game. That is not what is important to me. What is important to me is the fact that the college football world will know that in 2017, the only teams that BYU were able to defeat, were ranked at or below #110 out of 130 teams, and one of those 6 wins was vs. FCS unranked in the top 130 teams.

I think we should forget about who we are playing and we should get ourselves playing better. Penalties, fumbles, interceptions, few plays and no creativity, playing fearful instead of fearless.
I would love to sit and watch some games of other teams with Detmer and ask him “do we run that play?” “How about that play?” That play looks fun, do we run it?" “That was creative, do we run that one?” We are just so one dimensional.

I said in another post, that I would love to hire, as consultants, the likes of Nick Saben, Urban Myers, Pete Carroll, and even Peterson to offer suggestions to our coaches. Give then ideas of changes that need to be made. Each season proves to us that what use to be good or okay in no longer working. Other teams have gotten better and we have stayed the same. The results has been devastating for BYU.

Remember that play, back in the day, when Jensen was running to the end zone with the ball and he threw his hands up in the air, stumbled and fell before he scored the touchdown?

One of the greatest plays ever!

1 Like

Yep, I’m sure the college football world is watching every little thing that is going on with BYU right now and that the college football world will make sure they know exactly what the ranking of the #110 to 130 teams were when BYU beat them… like that is any guarantee.

Thanks for pointing this out, excellent research and information.

I never said outside the pocket, I mean the tempo where Tanner does not have time to think just react.

also, if he did roll out, it would give his receivers more time.

Not only do I remember, it well, but I was there. Thanks for the laughs…

I’m trying to read the messages, but just keep coming to the same conclusion: This BYU football team is BAD. I won’t listen to the “tough schedule” excuse, either. Mediocre teams play good teams and hang around for awhile, but eventually get beat. Mediocre teams play other mediocre teams and have exciting games that are fun, even if you lose. Our games are not fun. Our team is not average. Our team is a dismal train wreck that is unwatchable for the lack of discipline. And I don’t want to hear about our defense–USU’s first TD was a 2nd and 10 play action seam route to a tight end who ran 8 YARDS behind our FS when our FS bit hard on the PA. Middle school safeties don’t do that. High school safeties don’t do that. I’m still trying to figure out on what planet a D1 DC teaches his safeties to come downhill hard on play action in long yardage, because IT DOESN’T HAPPEN. But it happens to BYU, meaning either our FS doesn’t know how to play, is completely undisciplined, or his coaches tell him what to do and he is too impulsive or selfish to listen. Anyway. LSU and Wisconsin–the two good teams we have played–just curb stomped us, and bad. The average teams we have played–Utah and USU–let us hang around awhile, and one pounded us like Mike Tyson in a bare knuckles fight against Carrot Top. And we can BARELY beat a BAD FCS team. You be the judge.

Funny how several people think that we should recruit 4/5 stars players. Yesterday game Troy Trojan beat LSU 27-24. BYU doesn’t have any Discipline in themselves and standing around. So how did Troy did it? To my surprise LSU lost to Miss St. on their 3rd game 37-3.
Yes we are BAD not BYU. I am disappointed and I don’t want to talk about our next two games. All I can say good luck during the rest of the season.
Again, sure we need more 4/5 star players but we will never be like LSU or Alabama. We might get one 5 star Tanner McKee of this QB in three years later (he will announce NLI either December or later) and that is it and maybe 1 or 2 4 stars next year. LSU can be beat like what Troy did but we were bad. All we can do is trust Coach Kalani Sitake on his recuiting but the coaching area need to do better too.

BYU is very bad but they would have beaten Utah State if Hodge doesn’t go down. Coy Detmer is a mop up guy right now. The only reason he gets in a game is when it is out of hand one way or the other or there is nobody else to play. There is a reason he was a walk-on. BYU dominated all the stats except the one that counts on the scoreboard and that was because the offense was horrific after Hodge went down and turned the ball over time after time. They may have continue to turn the ball over some but they would have put more points on the board. Utah State’s offense did nothing outside their first drive. You can’t win games even against bad teams when you lose the turnover battle 7-1. Utah State got 26 points off turnovers, two pick 6s and 4 field goals when they couldn’t convert turnovers into touchdowns.

yup, the entire team has to own it…including the coaches. What happened to the “lets not get fancy and just play control football”. USU is not that good but 7 turnovers is completely unacceptable.

I was there as well and Jensen later played with me in a baseball league…we had many good times with that one.

Young coaches, injured QBs, undisciplined players = blowouts

3 star athletes can improve. But it takes more time than 5 star athletes. By next year, we will see this. I think we will see some improvements the rest of the season too. Edwards didn’t play under classman if he could help it because of the same thing. Tolatau won’t fumble as much as time goes on.

You do realize that when you are at the bottom, there is only one direction you can go, right? Saying we will see some improvements is too easy. It can’t really get any worse.

I think I said that too in another post. So, we are on the same page :slight_smile:

One post and I’m done. Mangum was over-rated his freshman year. He had great receivers who made incredible catches to salvage games. Against Michigan he was abysmal as was the entire team. Hill and Williams carried this team last year or this year might have been last year. He doesn’t look smooth in the pocket. He also had a different OC, but most of you don’t want to hear that, because you hailed Detmer as the coming of great things. Mendenhall would have been run out of town with his team looking like this, but imo he was a better defensive mind that was more difficult to predict. Losing is contagious and we are seeing BYU FINDING WAYS TO SELF DESTRUCT. Anae would have been going ballistic with this teams execution.
It’s hard to correct when a team starts down this road. Air Force and Navy have survived the lower talent pool by running the triple option.
I found .myself hoping they would utilize Hoge and play smash mouth football and get their self esteem back but then he got hurt. Detmer at this point cannot run this team. I wish the best for Tanner and hope his BYU career is as good as most had hoped, but with the shoddy OL play, I see Hoge as the better choice, providing he can play. I was surprised that his arm was better than i thought, but he has had few reps against major competition. BYU has always prided themselves as being tough
Despite a speed disadvange-it’s time for everyone to play with Warner’s intensity. BSU is vulnerable right now. They can be beaten with an outstanding effort and zero turnovers. I suggest everyone get behind this team for this game-win and your bowl hopes are alive-lose and they are most likely done.
Good luck BYU

1 Like

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the football office to see if Kalani is as magnadamus as he appears on the news?

I watch the coaches show since I am laid up with the bum foot, Wrubell is the master soft ball thrower with his questions to Kalani. LOL

You would think he (Wrubell) is getting paid by BYU . . . oh yeah, he is. Not softballs, marshmallows.

I completely agree BYU can’t recruit and go head to head with Wisconsin or LSU. But I disagree about what our goal should be. I would rather play intelligent, scrappy, sound football against top competition and use an underdog strategy to give us the best chance to win. That’s better than beating up on lesser competition and consistently being one of best worst teams. I’m more a fan of smart play than I am a fan of just winning games, but I admit that’s just me.

We’re not stronger or bigger than the opposition, but we can be smarter and take intelligent risks to increase variance. We can beat the best teams if we’re smart enough to give ourselves a chance.

In short, I don’t think we can use the Pro style because I don’t think it helps us underdogs.