How bad is BYU football?

Of course Jackson would give Tex the credit when he died. Who wouldn’t be gracious in those circumstances. Now, back to reality. Jackson put together a great coaching team and players that would run his offense and defense. People forget his teams also played defense. Except in NY and at times with the Lakers when they didn’t have the right players to run the offense and defense. Fisher had lazy defenders and selfish players like Carmelo. Passing the buck to the owner is silly.

Yet all analysts agree that the O line wasn’t the problem. All of them said we were solid on the O line. So, why get rid of the line coach? The pro style isn’t for a spread offense. His offense required 2 TE and to feature them with crossing routes because teams couldn’t double both.
The top 4 TE that we’re going to play this year we’re hurt except for Bushman. The other names you read redshirted and they didn’t want to use them because they weren’t ready to play this year D1. Watch the coaches shows and Sports Nation so you can be in the loop and not get side tracked by the fake news boys :slight_smile:

Clauswitz,
I always enjoy your intelligent post, and at times, like this time, I go back weeks or months later to re-read your posting to see if time has changed anything. Often, while agreeing with you, there is something in the post that makes me question, (not disagree, but question).

“. It’s hard to admit your beautiful plan for the season or the game isn’t working especially when it’s players making mental errors.”

" go back to the drawing board and ask what system can BYU consistently run every year to give us a shot against better teams"

The two quotes above, make me remark:

1. players making mental errors because we are still in denial and continue to believe that we can make sweet orange juice out of lemons. No matter how fantastic these lemons are, no matter where they are grown, or which organization they belong to, they will not do well when competing vs. Florida or California sweet juice oranges.

2. The reason we need a better shot vs better teams is because we are not that better team because we continue to be in denial believing that our lemons can compete in a sweet orange juice contest using only our home grown lemons. It can’t be done!!!

What we need to do, is make ourselves attractive to the orange growers, pay the farmers to care for fruit properly, harvest the fruit properly, and market the fruit as it should be marketed.
We don’t want our product be be found only in the 99 cent stores or dollar stores, but instead, we want our fruit to be worthy of the Gormay stores. best fruit

Floyd and Grasshopper,

Respectfully, I want you to consider this picture.

Ty Demer played at BYU during its Glory Years. Our team was good enough to give him
the support that earned him a Heisman Trophy.

There was no such thing as an uncatchable ball.

Ty’s Wide Receivers included at one time or another, Andy Boyce, who first played on the 1985 Championship team and after a 3 year break, came back to lead up to, and become a part of, Ty’s Heisman Trophy team having played 87-90. It was Bryce Doaman that played for Ty in 1991. Tyler Anderson also played for Ty in 1991.

Ty’s Tight Ends were Chris Smith in 1990 and Dustin Johnson in 1991.

The uncatchable ball was an un-known and thus, unspoken vocabulary word in 1985 and again in 1990 -91. Today it is an overused adjective that comes from untaught performers.

From playing for a BYU team like the BYU team that Ty played on , and than spending 14 years in the NFL where his team mates were the best of the best, It must have come to him as a shock that this was not the same type of BYU Cougar Team that he had previously played on.

It must have come as a shock, that because of his belief and his faith in his team, that they could indeed come to be the team of old, he did indeed get fired before his vision was clear of what the team had become since his day at the helm, when he was QB at BYU.

One lesson that he must have learned clearly is that “Faith, without work, is dead”.

I think that if he comes back, he will be a great coach with his eyes wide open,

He will have learned that one can not make sweet orange juice out of lemons.

Hopefully some day, our own LDS athletes 4-5 star, will see that we are serious enough about football, and those decision makers that fund the program, will see BYU football as important enough, in the theme of things, as to give those 4-5 star players the security they need to invest themselves into our program, thus giving up the more likely sure thing with a P5 program, in order to support us.

In the meantime, we must pull our heads out of the sand; we must end our time of denial; and we must realize that no matter how good our home grown lemons are, the will never compete successfully in a sweet orange juice contest.vs those highly professional grown oranges from Florida and California.

Amen. Thank you for this, Ronald.Now go tell this to the powers that be at BYU Administration/Athletics.

I remain undecided about Ty as a coach in the future. I think it would depend on context.

The program needs investment like a business. You need many 4-5 stars to come despite Provo weirdness, often being a ‘double minority’ as Brian Logan puts it, and the honor code/academic standards, and the fact that unlike universities like Arizona (and 20 other schools so far and certainly there will be many, many more), we don’t pay players (to the best of our knowledge). So you need capital.

You often say we can’t use these things as an excuse for our failures, and I’ve agreed. But we also can’t ignore their reality. Allen Iverson was a phenomenal basketball player despite being short and slight, but he wasn’t great because he ignored his physical limitations, he merely adapted to them. We are a natural underdog like Allen Iverson was in basketball. Let’s adapt. But again…it’s about the capital investment.

BYU needs a business/nerd AD. A guy like Daryl Morey is immensely unpopular amongst the NBA jocks but he’s also a sly devil.

1 Like

Craig,

Thank you so much for your reply. No one person along can get the ball rolling in the direction to make the necessary changes. If you believe what I am saying and what I am trying to do for our cougars, your voice and others like you, must have your voice heard and your postings read.

These are truly desperate times. With only 5 seasons left after this one to make our selves ready by the time the 2024 realignment comes due, we almost already, don’t have time to prepare. There is no time to waste.

Recap:

1. We must invest the money to get the best coaches available instead of those that will work for the least amount of money.

2. These coaches, (Andy Reid type), must be able to attract and get the 4-5 star players that we need to compete against the 4-5 players that we go against. We need to get rid of the foolishness in thinking that stars don’t matter.

3. In order to have more win and fewer losses on our record vs P5 teams, we need to concentrate on playing ther P5 teams at the bottom of the rankings and stay away from programing the P5 teams at the top of the rankings.

In other words, we must play more teams like Kansas, Illinois, Baylor, Rutgers, North Carolina, Indiana, Maryland, Arkansas, and we must stay away from the P5 teams like and

we must stay away from teams like Clemson, Auburn, Wisconsin, Alabama, Georgia, Miami and Ohio State.

We must put our money where our mouth is and stop expecting coaches to work less just because it is an honor to work for us.

BYU Football is an investment just like the Rail Roads, Department Stores, Radio Stations, Newspapers, Magazines, Blogging sites, and the Coca Cola Company is an investment. Even more importantly, BYU Football is a department in the Church owned University. It managed correctly, it could be one of the best investments that the Church owns. If not, it could be a disaster.

Reread the Proclamation on the family by the First Presidency issued a number of years ago that directly answers the questions you shared about about Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint stand on the issue. Granted people have a right to choose but they don’t have a right to change the doctrine.

Ron,
Not sure you caught this in conference by Elder Oaks (whose is quoting Elder Christofferson)

“not every statement made by a church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. It is commonly understood in the church that a statement made by one leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered opinion, not meant to be official or binding for the whole church.”

I think some members of the church believes anytime a GA speaks they are speaking for the Lord, which is a false statement.

Joseph Smith is recorded as saying, “I visited with a brother and sister from Michigan, who thought that ‘a prophet is always a prophet’; but I told them that a prophet is a prophet only when he was acting as such.” History of the Church , 5:265

And this is how bad BYU football is :wink:

What are you talking about…

I was talking to Ron about his comments about what he heard in a meeting with a GA…

The thread is how bad is BYU Football. Belongs in the off topic section :slight_smile:

Floyd,

Yes, I did hear this in conference, and I have reminded people many times at many different situations, especially when dealing with the finances of our BYU Football program.

It is my opinion, that we are financially programing our BYU cougars to fail by expecting coaches that might otherwise qualify to come to BYU and make large improvements, to be happy to come for the honor of coaching at BYU. But instead, we insult them by offering them much less than they can get somewhere else.

On the bright side, the game last Saturday night, with temperatures in the 40’s, and with a down pour of rain, and a bit of snow, Our cougars made us proud upsetting #14 in the Nation, Boise State. So how bad are our cougars? ESPN thought we looked pretty darn good vs BS.

Thanks Floyd,
I did get your message. I answered it in another post. To restate,
Yes I did here this important message in conference. Read the details in the other posting. Thanks.

Being a BYU football fan is… well… one of the most frustrating endeavors of my life.

I don’t need to say more other than the fact that I haven’t been posting much lately because I don’t have much to say about this team.

They are driving me crazy.

Be true to your school :slight_smile:
Grimes came down to the field against BSU. He most likely saw my post that he should do just that. Post. You never know who is tuning in :slight_smile: