How bad is BYU football?

The last three games… BalderTree and Bushman…

They also had the Henshaw kid… but I think they wanted to redshirt him. But he WAS AVAILABLE!

Baldertree was injured most of the year too. All I can do is say what Ty has said and Fowler said. They couldn’t run the sets they practiced. Fowler said it twice in two different programs yesterday. Ty and Kalani have said it too.

Then run different sets! Pitta was the only TE on the field 90% of the time when he played! Bushman was the best tightend on the team this year and he wasn’t hurt! BYU had 3 TE available all the time and they only needed 2 at most! Bushman lead the team in receiving yardage. The TE argument as the reason for BYU to have 120 FBS teams ahead of us in offense is like saying fishermen on the ocean can’t catch fish because the tide goes out!

1 Like

Using Blaine Fowler as your source is like using Koy Detmer Jr as your source except I think Koy got more playing time than Fowler did as a back up QB at BYU!

The TE I would like to see as a trick once a game is JJ Nwigwe, who is technically a hybrid and had two jersey numbers. Play him in the OL for a while, then on a second a short bring him in to run a Hit release and turn especially in the red zone. Anyone know how many targets he had? I know he caught a single pass I think. The dude looks like an O lineman for sure. I like running massive players at safeties too and then having them turn to the sideline or run an option route.

1 Like

Unfortunately if JJ had gotten in the game and been put into the backfield he would have been run on a sweep with Dye or Hall blocking for him! Not designing an offense for the athletes we had is what got Ty demoted.

1 Like

System coaches aren’t real coaches, they’re technicians not strategists. It’s like Mike D’antoni, that guy drives me crazy because he’s smart enough to adapt but refuses to do it because his system is the greatest thing on earth. Sure, right now he’s great because he’s got the guys to run it but just watch. He is no Popovich.

No they did not have 3 TE available. They were injured. Why do you insist on this because it isn’t factual.

The Triangle offense was only great for Coach Jackson because he usually had the players that could run it after playing with it for 3 or 4 years. Jackson was the most successful coach while he was coaching and he never deviated from the triangle.

Detmer has been recruiting players that will be able to run his offense down the road. Now, the next coach will run a spread and fail too because he has the wrong players. By the time he recruits players for the spread he will lose too many games and be fired.

I would say specifically he had two of the greatest players of all time and several top 50 players and that made it work. Anytime he didn’t have that, he looked like garbage.

If BYU could recruit like Alabama then we could run anything we wanted to. We can’t. So run something we can consistently have the players to do at a high level.

Balderee, Tanner
Bushman, Matt
Hanshaw, Bentley
Heaps, Nate
Marshall, Hunter
Laulu-Pututau, Moroni - Out for the season
Sampson, Nate
Tukuafu, Joe

This is a list of the current Tight Ends at BYU this year… And you say all of them were hurt?

Keep trying Scott.

Actually Scott…

The Experiment with New York Knick’s of using the Triangle Offense should tell you that Phil Jackson was not responsible for the success he had in Chicago and LA.

If you go look at his assistant Coaches at both places you will see Tex Winters there.

Tex is actually the one that got the players to buy into and teach the offense… (According to Shaq and Jackson himself).

That is not to take away anything from Jackson, he was a great coach that got the most out of his players using some unusual methods (Zen).

I think you are going a bit to far right with your comment about the next OC, He could fail, but I think Kalani will take a little more time to look at thier record before hiring them.

AND one of the best coaches to teach the Triangle offense to the players… Tex Winters.

Hopper, I just read the program and count the TE guys and it adds up to more than 3. The pro set doesn’t play with more than 2 TE on the field at one time…ever! You are off in mystery land when claiming that the shortage of TE guys caused Detmer to not be able to coach the offense Correctly.

Yes they were Floyd. Baldertree was the only other one that saw any action but that was limited as he got injured. It’s just the fact. The only healthy one on that list was Bushman. Moroni was to have been the “star” this year. Bushman wasn’t even being planned on being used much. Baldertree and Hunter were going to be the 2nd TE in the 2 TE pro style offense. All you had to do to know all this was to watch the Sports Nation every day and the coaches shows. You obviously did neither. Blaine Fowler re-stated exactly what I stated to you over the past 4 weeks including this week. Bushman was the only healthy one and that’s why he was being double covered on almost every play. With Moroni in at the same time no one could have and that would have opened up not only the run game but the WR too. Especially in the red zone. More touchdowns.

WOW!!! You and Floyd look at the program to know who is injured and who is healthy. That’s a mystery how you do that. You must also have other magical ways. I’ll call you Merlin from now on. Merlin “thawk” the Wizard.

I actually watch Sports Nation and the coaches shows to know that list was full of injured TE. Baldertree was the only one that was able to enter ocassionally and then got hurt again and again. Now, you are going to take a program that lists everyone over the voices of the coach and others who actually know? Amazing lack of humility…

Yep…because I listen to the coaches

Once the triangle worked, he didn’t need to get others to buy into it. He needed players that could actually run it correctly. That’s something he couldn’t put together in NY. Even with Fisher as coach. Just like when there were times in LA they didn’t have the players. It takes a special talent and mental ability and humility to run it correctly. Fisher didn’t have that in NY. He had the talent but not the players with enough humility and smarts to run it. Even with Shaq and Kobe they would struggle at times with the humility thing. They overcame it to win 3 times but not easily. The second run of championships, Kobe had become a better team player with Fisher and Odom. Where was Tex then? Jackson has to be commended.

Tex DIED Scott… That is where he was… Foolish person.

It was Tex that got the “players” to buy into the system, he was the one that taught the greats how to run it. Even Jackson gave the credit to Winters about how successful it was in Chicago and LA… AND NO, he was not being kind to his assistant, Tex was a genius with how he worked with different players to make it work. Hats off to Tex.

In New York, the biggest issue was Dolan… he has single handily destroyed the Knicks… no system can work with an owner like Dolan.

They could have used Bentley Hanshaw (highly recruited) to come in after Moroni went down, they also could have used the others…

But if you had read the article about the Offense Ty was trying to implement… It states that in order to run the spread offense you HAVE TO have a solid Offensive Line (you do not need the Tight Ends to do this).

The O-line sucked… period… I would have been happy if they kept Detmer and replaced both Mahe (RB) and Empey (Oline)… Those two caused more problems than not having any Tight Ends