How bad is BYU football?

Ah, I think we’re not on the same page. These are two separate thoughts for me.

Those are sets I want to see in the future. I didn’t hear Ty ever really talk about those specifically, but perhaps.

My problem with Ty is his philosophy, game planning and play calling was atrocious.

Sure there were injury problems this year. But the injuries don’t make Ty throw the ball 45 times giving up 7 sacks and 4 interceptions to UMASS. Pro style isn’t going to work at BYU. Ty struggled to adapt to change and was predictable. I lost track of his inexplicable third down calls.

Smart guy, good guy, bad coach. I wouldn’t mind giving him a year if someone else called the plays. But that’s in the past.

You don’t think that a 4th string freshman with 3 missing TE and 4 RB didn’t cause problems against UMASS?
The style of offense was to have 2 TE and sometimes 3TE. 3 of the 4 were injured all year. He never got to run the offense he wanted. No one could have salvaged this year.

Ty is the scapegoat for Sitake. Sitake is panicked that he will be fired with his chances of being hired as a HC at another school would be nil. I don’t like the “taste” of the firing of Ty and have less respect for Sitake and Holmoe.

1 Like

4th String QB would absolutely cause problems. So don’t throw the ball 45 times…

Ty made bad decisions. He made bad decisions last year too, he just had Jamal and Taysom. His system doesn’t work here, and won’t work here even if you gave him 5 years because we can’t play better teams head to head.

BP just nailed this. You need system creativity and system flexibility. Ty had neither. Smart guy though.

there are a lot of OC’s out there that actually have D-1 level experience. ■■■■ Harmon mentioned just a few…

I loved Ty for how he played, but he was often overwhelmed when he coached this year.

which TE’ were injured this year?
we lost Moroni at the beginning of the season and baldertree for a couple of games.

but Bushman made up for a lot of that. we redshirted one player and Sampson did not do much this year

if you take off the blinders for all things Ty… you would see he was not prepared for being OC.

Ty is responsible for the offense… they did not produce.

Ty should have been QB coach and that’s it, tbh. He was put in a bad situation.

1 Like

True…
but he was in that position because he did not have experience on the college level.

1 Like

Samson was injured. 3 of the 4 hardly played because they were injured. It’s just the facts. They could not properly run the pro style offense they worked on in the off season. Did you ever see 2 TE in the field at the same time? No. Because the others were injured.

So, who? Who has the experience and would actually coach here?

There are a lot of them out there Scott…
Harman’s article listed a few… some of them I would not want to come to BYU (Aaron Roderick in particular).
they do not need to be LDS, to an assistant coach… But there are a few that I think would be interesting to see.

I can not find any reference that Sampson was injured during the season and Baldertree played the last five games that I know of…

So your story about hurt TE’s don’t fly…

By the way, you only need one or two good Tight Ends to play the formation Detmer wanted.

Hopper doesn’t get it in a lot of areas in sports in general. He thought the BB team last year was well coached offensively and defensively and predicted that they will be a really good team this year! They won’t! We were missing two tight ends st the most this year and we still had 3 tight ends available. The whole offense was based on the tight ends being healthy? Hogwash! Ty ran the small backs up the middle and the slower big backs on sweeps! His offense was terrible and he obviously couldn’t judge talent in QBs and running backs. He is responsible for building an offense that should be based on the ability of the players on the team. He didn’t do that. One more year like this and Holmoe Sitake and the DC will be gone too. At best the BB team will finish 4th but it will probably be 5th in the WCC. Get ready for a new coach there too! The UVU game may be the start of the Unraveling. Worthington and other players aren’t D1 quality no matter what hopper says!

Then complain to BYU Sports Nation. It was all on there. You don’t fly.

Nothing on Sports Nation about Nate Sampson being hurt…

Yes there was. And, Blaine Fowler talked about it a couple of weeks ago on BYUSN. Try to keep up Floyd :slight_smile:

LOL!!! You have been off the mark plenty this year. I get more than you do. My record speaks for itself :slight_smile:

Blaine Fowler was on SN again today and said the same thing. It was supposed to be a pro style offense like Max Hall had with Pitta and George. A 2 and 3 TE offense. Did you ever see 2 TE in the game at the same time all season long? No…They were injured.

Floyd, you are chasing your tail with Hopper! When you point out facts he ignores them if they contradict what he thinks. Save your time. You are correct about the TE position and the fact that the team had at least 3 TE’s available at all times. Who, in their right mind, would buy the fact that the TE position was responsible for this dumpster fire season and the offensive struggles we had the entire year? No one with any football knowledge would buy that line.