Elder Perry passing

I know some of you are not LDS… but the passing of Tom L Perry leaves a great void in our lives.

When I was on my mission, Elder Perry’s father in law (S. Reed Dayton) was my mission president. Elder Perry and his wife came to our mission to visit and instruction us missionaries…

40 years later, I can still remember the feelings I had as I listen to Elder Perry… His love for the savior and his fellow man was truly felt by us all…

One side funny note: He told us how he met and married his second wife Barbara Dayton… His last words were “Remember Missionaries I am an Apostle of the Lord and this story is true”… His wife gets up and says “Nice Try Tom… you are an apostle of the Lord when you are on his errand, not when describing our courtship”…

Just about everyone laugh… Great couple, Great Example and I for one will truly miss him.

1 Like

I remember Elder Perry sitting at the half court line for every home BYU basketball game. He was a real fan of BYU. That was back in the late 70’s. A couple of years ago, he came to the Ventura-Camarillo area and taught the leadership in the stake. At 90, he was still clear and spoke with power and with a true Christ-like way. After the meeting I attended, He was walking by and I asked him if he still attended BYU basketball games. He said he hadn’t been going for many years. But, that he’d like to go again and how he enjoyed it. I said to him that I remember the game with Lasalle and Michael Brooks in the Cougar Classic that went into triple over-time and how he took off his jacket for the 3rd overtime. He remembered that and how their team humbled themselves when Brooks was chosen as MVP of the tournament. And, how before, the players and coaches acted because he wasn’t mentioned on the tournament 1st place team that we were all bigots. And, then how they, especially Brooks, was humbled and changed when named MVP. It was a great moment when the entire building was standing cheering for him. Even with the great Ainge watching who was cheering the hardest.
Oh, we won the game and the tournament!!!