Elder Kearon's talk

I was wondering what people thought about his talk on Syrian refugees and President Uchtdorf’s stunned response? Was President Uchtdorf spiritually touched or was he profoundly angry? Because he said nothing…

I thought it was unusual to have an entire talk on just the plight of the Syrian refugees. It was like George P Lee used to do with the Indian nation.

Does he not understand that with them there will be thousands of terrorists coming to America too? Now, the Church is going to be a target…How do others feel?

I definitely think Pres Uchtdorf’s reaction was due to compassion at looking at his own life and the challenges his family had living in a war-torn country. I think Elder Kearon’s talk was very nicely done. Wasn’t he mostly talking about refugees coming to Europe (not America)?

I was expecting him to say as much that it was about Europe. He never did. I think he was talking to Americans. And, if Uchtdorf was so taken by it, why didn’t he say something? It was just weird…

Leave it to the grasshopper to start reading between the lines, instead of taking something at face value, in an effort to stir up controversy or create discord…

I’m shocked he would do something like that. :anguished:

It’s a serious problem. I can’t believe this kind of stuff takes place in the modern world in which we live. For all the good and caring that people claim they feel and do, I think we are generally more self serving than anything else.

So if grasshopper really wants to know how we feel (he asked the question) I hesitate to say anything because it is always met with disagreement or contention. I will say it anyway. I feel that his talk was a good one. He asked us to be more compassionate towards our fellow men. There are serious problems in the world and we are our brothers’ keepers. I have faith that Heavenly Father is in charge and he expects me to do the things that Elder Kearon spoke of when possible. If I do then I will be blessed. If I don’t then I won’t. It’s simple and straight forward.

Write President Uchtdorf and find out for sure.
Like I said, he should have stated this was mainly for Europe and the Saints there. Also, if he wants to talk on compassion and assistance to this in need, why speak for 10 or 15 straight minutes on just the Syrian people who want to stay in that region? George P Lee all over again…It was written all over President Uchtdorf’s face.

AlI I know Jim, is that as he was giving his talk, I wondered what was grasshopper reaction was to the talk…:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I thought he did a very good job of describing the issue and how we should act in accordance.

President Uchtdorp reaction was spiritual reaction to his own trials.

One problem is that grasshopper believes he is completely perceptive with everyone and everything he sees or comes in contact with… talking about George P. Lee or what was “written” all over President Uchtdorf’s face.

Talk about passing judgement on a situation without having the slightest clue what is going on…

He finally mentioned a “syrian woman” at the 6 minute mark of his 13 minute talk. Then he talked about refugees from Turkey and Greece… and a lds woman who had been a “ministering angel”. How anyone would think this talk was strictly about the country of Syria and taking in potential terrorists is beyond me.

I think a talk about putting your trust in God and your religious beliefs before your trust in man and politics might be appropriate…

Didn’t look like it to me. He looked mad to me. The tears weren’t for what people think. The talk was political and in poor taste. If he wanted to talk about compassion he could have done it without 100% focus on Syrian refugees. Why did he do that?

I have the gift of discernment. The worst talk in poor taste. You’ve been duped. Uchtdorf’s response was one of being stunned. He was speechless.

If the Brethren had a problem with it, they will edit the print version.

They would have to delete it, not just edit. It’s too late for that. Well, until something else happens, we will as usual help the poor and the needy. And, the thousand San Bernadino type terrorists :-/~

You have already lost this debate, before it even started. Are you not aware of the things that were said at the women’s broadcast about assisting refugees and those in need? There are letters from the first presidency talking about the refugee crisis and how we can help. President Uchtdorff was one of those who signed the letters. I’m sure he is supportive of anything that can be done and I’m sure Elder Kearon had specific instructions to speak on the topic he spoke on.

I think the best thing you could do at this point is stop criticizing the message and impart of your substance to those in need. That would also help you with your gift of discernment and improving on it.

1 Like

You do realize Scott, As a member of the First Presidency, it is HIS DUTY, to make sure that the content of all talks are within the boundaries of the gospel.

So if President Uchtdorf had a problem with the talk, he would have said something… I can remember on several occasions over the years where the first presidency has made comments about talks just given…

And What do you know about George P Lee situation? Do you know “Why” he was excommunicated? do you know what led up to it?

Actually I do Floyd. Lee has no excuses to answer for. When a person gets so rapped up in one area it leads to apostasy in many cases.
Look, Jim wants to think this debate is over. Uchtdorf isn’t the Prophet, yet. When President Monson says it is it will be.
There are 3 issues here:

1. Help the poor and the needy
  2. People are being displaced and killed by fascist terrorists
  3. Terrorists will use any means to attack Americans, Christians (including Mormons) and all countries that don’t follow their brand of Islam
    With these 3 issues, it’s admirable to want to help those who truly need help. That doesn’t mean talk people into agreeing with the Obama klan to take in 3 million refugees who most don’t want to come to America. We have enough terrorist driven people in America now. Why bring in more?

This makes no sense what so ever? Not sure what you mean…

He has to answer for his decision to buck President Benson when the Prophet did away with some of the Lamanite programs President Kimball put together…

That is why he was “X’d”…

The First Presidency (any member) can make a statement about the content of a talk… It does not have to be President Monson himself.

You are so off base on what Elder Kearon talk was about… it was about helping those people (including Syrians) who are refugee’s much like our ancestors (church members) were once refugee’s.

For the record… not all refugees are because of Fascist Terrorist… the are other reason like famine, Cyclones, etc…

From what my wife said, the First Presidency, Relief Society Presidency and other GA’s endorsed helping ALL refugees regardless of why they are in that condition… Stop trying to tie the ranting of the politically right into the gospel principal of providing for the needy…

here is two direct quotes from his talk that refutes your assumption that the Prophet does not approve of his message…

“Under the direction of the First Presidency, the Church is working with 75 organizations in 17 European countries. These organizations range from large international institutions to small community initiatives, from government agencies to faith-based and secular charities. We are fortunate to partner with and learn from others who have been working with refugees around the world for many years.”

"In response to the invitation from the First Presidency to participate in Christ like service to refugees worldwide, the general presidencies of the Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary have organized a relief effort entitled “I Was a Stranger.” "

Do you really believe the Prophet and President Uchtdorf was upset with the talk? Think again…

Yes I know that’s why Lee was ex’d. Actually, he asked to be removed from the Church and went and started his own little church. It was pretty sad to watch. But, I know how he was hurt after all the work Pesident Kimball did for the American Indians.

I’m sure we will help the refugees no matter where they end up. We help illegals in America already. These refugees have a much different challenge no matter where they go. The thousand rapes in Germany and other places by those terrorists mixed in with the good people. That’s not a political thing anymore than was the Gadianton Robbers and the moral decay caused by their terrorism. Terrorism and fascism is not a political issue in my opinion.

Actually, we don’t really know why he was X’d. The Church doesn’t publicize that information. Besides what you mentioned, he was also accused of sexually molesting a minor girl in 1989 (same year he was X’d). He pleaded guilty to that five years later.

I believe he resigned, didn’t he?

Church Explains Excommunication to Navajos as Lee Seeks a Rebirth

This, to me is the sadder part of the story…
Ex-LDS official arrested in sex-registry probe

After reading both, I think the latter was part of the first too. I think the Brethren may have known of his pedophilia problem but could not prove it to authorities. Perhaps the girl’s parents refused to press charges or believe the accusations. And, Lee used the Indian heritage thing as an excuse.