Detmers out, wish he could have done it

This makes me sad, but also a bit relieved. I sure wish Detmer would have been the qb coach and let a more experienced coach take over the offense. It would be nice to retain him somehow in a different position. He is still one of the most beloved cougars ever.

1 Like

I for one do not agree with letting Detmer go and perhaps there is a plan to keep him on staff as he and the other coaches are still on contract. This season has been a bust but to make Ty a scapegoat is really distasteful. Why not fire Sitake too, he is the one who decided to hire Ty. If we are going to give Sitake more time to get his players on board why not Detmer. I will have to wait and see how this all plays out but at this point I am disappointed in BYU.

I’ve rewatched every snap of the last 2 years recently and with all the other problems on this team, Ty Detmer was the clearest problem to identify. Love the guy, but he’s not a mediocre coordinator.

IN HIS DEFENSE:

Horrible injury luck this year especially to key positions.
Was he able to choose his own assistants?
QBs are terribly inaccurate even with protection.
First time coach
Seems brilliant

EVIDENCE AGAINST

Injury problems this year don’t account for horrible decision making last year.
Worst offense in BYU history, and probably worst over a two year span.
Worst offense in FBS? (don’t remember if that’s how we finished or not…)
Was he Kalani’s first choice?
Adopted a system that I don’t think can work at BYU regardless of recruiting
Showed a lack of understanding of the modern college game and attempted an offense that was too complex.
Was inflexible and slow to adapt to the data in front of him
His play calling was bizarre. Draw on third and long as a go to?
His play calling was predictable, not Bob Anae predictable but it was close, and when it was surprising it was bad.
His game planning was just bad 44 passes giving up 7 sacks and 4 picks to UMASS is atrocious.
Did not improve over 2 year span. Started bad, and despite beating Hawaii…I see little improvement anywhere.

I hope we can retain him as something. Great guy, put in a bad spot.

The offense was historically bad. The defense was mediocre, but to be honest, the offense put them in so many bad positions and left them on the field for so long that I’m surprised they weren’t even worse. The best defense is a good offense because it keeps your defense off the field and fresh. I feel bad for him, but he was just bad.

Did Sitake hire him? I don’t recall, I thought there was something about him not being his first choice.

There is not a whole lot to say for now because Coach Sitake and possible Tom Holmoe are trying to work things out. Would love to have Ty around like QB Coach/Recuiting. And I am sure a lot more change up need to be done, give another few days.
Whoever the new OC will be, he may want to change those current Offense Assistants to make it work for him.

1 Like

This news leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Yeah, that’s what the football world does when a team goes 4-9, but to lay this all at the feet of Ty was wrong. Dead wrong. Must have been some real pressure from the boosters, on Holmoe and in turn on Sitake. After this, Sitake should be gone mid-season next year if we start the same way. Not happy with my Cougars right now. If Ty goes somewhere else, I’ll cheer for his new team first. Emotional response, yes, but this bugs me.

Man, do I ever agree with you! The defense sucked too! How do coaches win with key position players hurt and having to play 4th string freshman?

If the team, next year, has less than 9 wins, Sitake and Holmoe should be fired. After all they are the ones ultimately responsible for how the OC and DC call plays and structure the game plan. They are ultimately responsible for adapting on the fly to injuries and other offensive and defensive problems including players not being able to carry out game plans.

Recommendation. From now on, the HC and all the coaches when hired have 2 years only, from when they are hired to produce very high quality performances in their respective units or be fired. Injuries, player performance and other disruptive issues outside of the control of the coaches control will not be considered in evaluating the quality of each coaches performance. Everyone in the program is on notice: win big out of the gate or you are fired. Hey, why not fire the entire coaching staff each year the team has less than 9 wins. 9 or more wins is the only evaluation standard used in retaining or firing the entire coaching staff.

Each year I have less and less motivation to buy tickets or watch the FB team on TV. I ditched the BB program several years ago. Firing Ty after only his second year is a stupid decision. And there has been a string of stupid decisions with regard to the FB program for several years.

If you perform as badly as Ty did, yes. You’re out. Worst in FBS, worst in BYU history. Last year, Ty made a lof of mistakes. This year, he did the same. His system won’t work here if you gave him 5 years and he seems like a system coach to me.

We scored 20 points on Portland state with almost an entire team, one of the worst teams in the entire FCS, not FBS. We lost to UMASS because Ty wouldn’t change the game plan. That’s it. How many times did he make a horrible call on 3rd down? His best performances from last year were 2 50 point games against putrid defenses, UMASS (lol) and Toledo. Go watch those again…Ty still made a ton of mistakes in those games. He had an entire off season/year to get Tanner ready…nothing. Tanner threw for 3000 yards and Bob Anae is a terrible play caller.

Ty didn’t play the cards he was dealt.

Dude, that is your opinion and welcome to it. 2 years with the kind of credentials that Ty has is ridiculous. Try and get some one with great credentials to come in now as OC after the program has so many problems and an icon like Ty is trashed as Sitake’s scapegoat. Let’s see what your song is in 1, 2 and 3 years from now.

What credentials? He was a high school coach. He was a great player, that didn’t make him a great coach.

I didn’t say there weren’t other problems. But this is a performance based job. He didn’t perform. I know there were other problems but I’m only looking at Ty’s actions, not game outcomes. Look at his game plans. Look at his play calling, look at the overall philosophy. It’s not there.

Everyone is reacting emotionally to this because he’s the beloved. I get it. I’m looking at this logically. Why leave him in there when i don’t see much chance he’ll turn it around? We’ll have better luck with a coaching search. What are the chances you get another OC who is this bad?

And if you’re kalani, you know if you don’t win 6 to 9 next year you’re done. The offense was historically bad. That’s not my opinion, that’s a fact. If you don’t get a new OC, might as well quit now. There are other changes that need to be made, but this was the first.

I would’ve also accepted getting a CO OC.

Love Detmer as the QB coach and recruiter.

The play calling was abysmal as Clausewitz has pointed out. Norm Chow said in an interview that our loses were NOT Detmer’s fault so much as key injuries. I tend to believe that Detmer was a few years of OC experience away from being the man.

BTW, Detmer has been relieved of the OC duties but he is still with BYU with duties yet to be determined.

I agree with you. 2 years and you are in or out. That means Sitaki should be out too.

Sitaki is not going to be fired for at least 2 more years. His recruiting classes have yet to play much since the majority are on missions. He needs 2 years with his guys and we will see what he is able to do. He may need to go, but we won’t know for sure for 2 years. Rose on the other hand, is on a short leash!

You gave the exact reason why Ty should also have had 2 more years. But, nooo!!! Off with his head!!!

Rose will stay until he’s ready to quit. Right now he’s doing a great job with this team.

The head coach always has more leeway and can fire assistants as cover. Always works that way

But detmer struggled with play calling and game planning. He shouldn’t have been hired honestly. Or only as the QB coach. He had a system and he struggled fitting onto the players he had. You have to play the hand you’re dealt and he couldn’t. Now I have similar complaints about the defense and that hasn’t been dealt with. It’s like he had this beautiful design in his head but turned awful the second he deployed it to the field. His failures at adapting to the talent on the field got him fired.

If he had shown me that he could take this crappy situation and at least use it in the most correct way, then I’d buy it. Honestly I don’t think he could take a good situation and make that work either, last year was a joke on his part, saved only by Jamal and Taysom.

We were injured but we were also terrible. And the off the field stuff is causing a lot more trouble than any of us know. Losing Bernard and Ula for the season took out two of our very best players, for the season, and those are just two that have been made public. Somebody had to go, and when you are #120 in O, the OC goes; but Stake won’t last long if he doesn’t get his program under control…

“Rose on the other hand, is on a short leash!”

According to who? If they have a mediocre year this year he won’t be fired. There is a not a single senior on the roster. I don’t see any evidence anywhere that he is on the hot seat except with a few fans. Personally I wouldn’t even consider firing him unless the next two years are bad and then it wouldn’t be my call anyway.

You don’t rush to fire a coach who has won at least 20 games every season and has never missed making a post season tournament even with the disappointment of the last two seasons in not making the NCAA.

The Jamaal and Taysom reason only strengthens my position. Because of injuries, he didn’t have his #1 RB. He played with even the 7th stringer. At TE, he played with the freshman 4th stringer and never got to use the 2 set TE plays they worked in the fall on. Then, QB went down to his 5th string. Taysom also had speed with the WRs that we don’t have this year that could catch the ball consistently.

One other thing Blaine Fowler and others have said, U of U has had OC changes within a year or two. How has that worked out? Their offense has hurt because of this. Should we follow the same path by changing OC every year or two too? Sataki’s inexperience as head coach made a huge mistake unless he brings in an OC that will run the pro style too and perhapse keep Ty on as a co-OC. I don’t like that but they need the recruiting power of Ty Detmer in the homes of high school seniors. And, to keep the recruits Ty already brought in.