Congratulations Jim Hawks

I’ll have to repent more often disagreeing with Bishop Hawks :smile: Well, maybe not :wink:
Your son gave a great talk today. You should be proud of him!

People always like to congratulate a new bishop, as if it is some kind of accomplishment to be called to the position. It was about 2 months ago actually.

So I almost sustained the new primary president as the relief society president today.

I need prayers more than I need congratulations… and I’m learning as I go, that’s for sure.

My oldest is a quiet, unassuming young man and one of the kindest people you will ever meet. He is the celestial role model in our family, along with my wife.

Anyhow, thanks for the comment, but there is no need to start agreeing with me now. I still don’t know that much.

unfortunately Jim, too many people too much importance on callings in church, as if that validates their worthiness.

I do not believe you are in that category Jim.

I have come to the conclusion that I will never be called to any leaderships position (40 years and counting) in the church, but I always try to be that “home teacher” that is always there for my families, or the one that helps and do things for my neighbors, never asks for praise or pats on the back.

that is my lot in life.

It’s because you are an umpire blind as a bat :smile:
If only a great home teacher. They are hard to come by. Congratulations!

Does this mean your reactions while we watch the football games this year will be different? I hope not :slight_smile:

Jim: That is really fascinating. Based on the character of the people on this Board, I would guess that there are many Bishop caliber people on this Board.

Ya, I was beginning to wonder because his dad was in our stake presidency prep to the celestial kingdom :wink:

Sometimes certain people are " called not to be called." For example which significant position was Hugh Nibley called to.

I don’t know. What was he called to?

Wait… what is “fascinating”? :smile:

Fascinating = extremely interesting and it leaves me wondering. Are you fascinated by the fact that I was called and, based on my comments here, have no idea how it could have happened?

By the way, the man I replaced has been very busy of late -

If you didn’t see the film last night, make an effort to see the (former Bishop Thomas’) movie. Definitely a problem that is symptomatic of today’s world.

Thanks grasshopper… can we just delete this entire thread?

Oh no…can’t do that. It’s between basketball and football and we need exciting topics to discuss. I wonder how one would find out if HN was ever called to be a bishop, stake president, elders quorum president, 70’s group leader, high priest group leader :sunglasses:

Ok, I’ll say this. I’m sorry Jim. Welcome to years of either being the best bishop in the world, or the most terrible. :wink:

When the Church had the five year term for bishops, I heard this.
Do you know why the Church instituted a five year term for bishops?
Well, they discovered that every year the bishop offended 20% of the congregation. They figured that after five years, he offended everybody and it was time to get a new one. :smiley:

LOL!!! That’s a good one. Jim will do great! He just has to use the same enthusiasm as he watches a BYU football game :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like