Californication.....why we lost and will continue

It was amazing how Kilani Sitaki double talked several times on his TV show tonight when asked about the QB situation. I agree with your assessment about Mangum’s failure to be able to leader the team.

the sample size that did me in was 11 yards and 4 three and outs in the 3rd qtr. That Cal game was ours to be won

There is one guy that has not been roasted that needs his share of blame and that is Sitake. As talk radio would put it, Sitake never met a 4th down he didn’t like and someone has to get his attention and get the 3 extra points rather then lose the game. He has a kicker that has hit field goals out to 64 yards…why waste that super human talent?

Yeah, that was too much like Dave Rose era scoring droughts. In football, scoring droughts are okay if you are a) holding them on defense, and b) moving the ball and the chains. Mental momentum is huge, and this particular drought was the stake in our heart against Cal. You simply cannot let that happen, and you (as a staff and a team) have to get first downs especially in a drought like this. Or, the game is over.

Unfortunately the Cal DB’s didn’t drop the balls that Tanner threw their way!

For all you experts on Tanner Mangum and assigning most of the blame on him.

Here is a quote from Coach Roderick that might help you:

"As is always the case for the starting quarterback on a team after a loss, Mangum has been the target of a lot of criticism. BYU quarterback coach Aaron Roderick, however, said that he isn’t getting the credit he deserves for what he has done well.

“I like that he has thrown a lot of good balls and had a lot of completions,” Roderick said. “He’s run our team really well, managed situations really well. In the Arizona game, he handled it really well, and in the Cal game he handled most of the situations well. As far as just running our team, there is a lot going on every single snap that I think isn’t noticed by people.”

He said that a couple of Mangum’s mistakes against the Bears were costly and that magnified that criticism.

“He’s got to play better and we’ve got to play better around him too,” Roderick said. “We’ve got to give him some help. He didn’t get a lot of help the other night in a variety of ways that could’ve really changed that game.”

This is a great article to find out what Grimes does after a win and a lose.

https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/byu-football-hoping-to-have-found-solutions-to-offensive-issues/article_8d3ab195-c8a5-5823-aef1-34de8c11425a.html

I have more respect for Grimes than before.

My parents said that Dylan Collie early in the game was wide open far downfield (they emphasized wide open), but Mangum didn’t see him and threw the short pass in the flat. They said that the crowd gasped because he was so open.

Now, even legends miss plays or don’t see everything all the time. But when I read what you posted from Roderick (Mangum made a lot of completions, he did a lot of things right, etc.), it sounds like what coaches of course are going to say to try not throw their guy under the bus.

A lot of completions? He was near 50%. And they were all short dink and dunk stuff.

If “game managing” is our goal, we’re not shooting very high.

I hope you’re right, and I hope Mangum has a great game Saturday.

I don’t know about Roderick, but I am pretty sure about Grimes… He does what it takes to win, he is not that interested in hurting people feelings… He coaches to win, not lose games.

Although, I think he is running this offense methodically for some reason, not sure, maybe to help Tanner, who knows. But the days of 500 yards passing is gone.

Floyd: I don’t know about Roderick, but I am pretty sure about Grimes… He does what it takes to win, he is not that interested in hurting people feelings… He coaches to win, not lose games.

Roy: And which coaches coach to lose games and of those coaches how do you KNOW that each of them coach to lose games.

Not you in particular Floyd, but in general, it seems to me that since so many who post here KNOWS FOR SURE so much about winning and losing, why aren’t they being paid for their great knowledge. I have always wondered that question. I keep thinking all these professional coaches would have that certain knowledge that everyone on here is so sure they know. Again, just wondering.

Maybe some of us have been paid to coach. How do you know they haven’t?

A few of us have without a doubt

Coached at the D1 level? Let us know who and y’all do a bit more specific explaining about your points of view. That would really help some of us who are mere guessers and armchair QBs. It is possible that I have been paid to coach in the past.

Roy,
My knowledge is based what my friend who played for Grimes told me about him.

He benched a starter when he felt the player was not working hard enough when he was here the first time.

more interesting data

boils down to predictability and play calling

I love people who use statistics… but as my Statistics professor also loved to say “You can twist them to say what your bias is”…

I am not sure why Grimes is being so methodical, (predictable, Play calling). I am wondering if he is trying to get the players comfortable with the basics, before add some meat to the menu.

Exciting football is not how I would look at BYU offense this year. But maybe there is reason behind the madness that we do not know about.

Roy,
Here is one for an armchair QB’ing…
Don’t be surprised next year that Jaren Hall beats out Zach Wilson for starting QB.

Zach came from Corner Canyons high school who had several good players on his team that are now playing college ball. Jaren Hall comes from Maple Mountain which is pretty new, the talent around him was not as good as Corner Canyons.

Watched both the guys play high school football, and both of them are outstanding QB’s. Time will tell…

I love your Statistics Professor.
Isn’t that why the world is so crazy today, they just take the data and make up any argument to fit the result they want.
I will say this: Always follow the money, that is where the truth lies. To be clear, Vegas has to get betting right or they lose money. They grind the stats, make some calls on important changes/injuries and they set their line. It always amazes me just how close they get it right.

Sitake is a riverboat gambler on 4th down. Grimes is methodical. Somewhere they will meet in the middle and be a good combo. I hope :sunglasses:

Which amazes me because they have a kicker on the team that has consistently kicked 60 yrd field goals in practice.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900031586/byu-has-confidence-in-southams-long-range-field-goal-ability-and-hes-eager-to-put-points-on-the-board.html

Hahahahaha Thawk I love it! I get paid to coach–I just never want to figure out what my head coaching “salary” would come to if I figured out what I make per hour :slight_smile:

Under minimum wage😊

Sorry Floyd: Mangum is not a winner. He can’t throw the long ball consistently or accurately.