Californication.....why we lost and will continue

be honest McKay here, What eye test?

We have a different OC, which a different OC plan… It takes time for everyone to get on the same page. the current talent on BYU offense is Anae players… so I think I give it some time.

Second, reading the posts before the first game, you guys were all over Tanner and how he should not be the starter, so to me… you want Tanner to be instant success, if not, boot him…

I at least think by the end of the season, some of you are going to be eating crow about Tanner.

There is offense, but there is no “Glory days” offense.

Let’s see what Grimes does with those players who did not perform to the level he wants them to play.

Remember the O-line the last two years?

What is Tanner TD to TO ratio this year?

Chris,
I really haven’t had a chance to watch the entire game, but based on what I heard on the radio it seemed that Tanner was doing his job (according to the radio guys) but the WR’s were dropping catch-able balls…

On a personal note, could you email me at [email protected]… I have a really dumb question to ask you about your second love (Fishing and Hunting)…

How it looks watching him run the offense; how it feels when we need first downs and yardage. I think you might be the only person not deeply concerned with his ability to do either.

This is the standard excuse, and people can try to get years of mileage out of it. Are you saying that we can’t expect anything for another three years, or what?

I’m dating this back to his freshman year, when he had just this type of outing against Missouri, UCLA (yes, he had 244 yards, but zero chance when the game was on the line and we needed long yardage and downfield movement), etc. Last year: enough said.

Serious question: how much leash / how much of a chance should he get? The whole season? If less than that, at what point should they call the bullpen?

What kind of crow, exactly? That his offenses scored 24 on McNeese St. and New Mexico St.?

I have zero confidence that I will be eating any kind of crow about Mangum. The bar is so low, we breathed a sigh of relief when he threw for 209 with a low completion percentage against Arizona.

This is also a predictable excuse: dropped balls. I seem to remember Jake Heaps defenders complaining about all of the drops for him, too. It’s the go-to when men can’t get it done.

There are many throws where it’s all on him (bad throws).

McKay… I am not saying it… The announcers were saying it… Second, The experts who talked about the game was talking about how many dropped passes there were.

It is not an excuse, it is a fact.

As for Tanner, I would like to take the views of people like John Beck than the average fan. You see, you think you know what should be done, John “Knows” what needs to be done. John Beck does not share your view of Tanner Mangum.

One thing that John Beck said over the airwaves recently, is that every blames the QB for the offensive failures, when that is not the case, it could be receivers not running the right routes, drop balls, etc. or the O-Line not doing their jobs. or that RB’s not doing their jobs. It is a total team effort to make the offense run, not just the Quarterback’s.

Just some observations from the game"
“Tanner Mangum was 12-of-22 for 108 yards in the first half, but would have had another 50 yards had Dylan Collie held on to a well-thrown deep ball in the second quarter. He was pretty accurate with his passes, but his receivers need to make plays and didn’t make enough.”

“Grimes seems to be calling plays that minimize risk and that probably suits Mangum and the talent on offense. Last year, I felt like some of Detmer’s play calls were way too optimistic for the talent and it got him in trouble.”

“I believe Grimes has the right idea about the BYU offense. It needs to use ball control and move steadily up the field to take advantage of the talent on that side of the ball. Explosive plays are needed, and needed badly. But they may have to be explosive plays from good schemes.”

I think too many of us think we know more than we do.

you know Chris… I did not notice the title of this thread until today… Pretty funny… “Californication”… :open_mouth:

There were 3-4 drops; however, one was a sideline pass to Al Bakri that just BARELY cleared the jumping defender’s hand, instead of continuing up the sideline, Al Bakri had to stop and jump, and yes it touched both his hands at the high point as he was falling backwards out of bounds, but there is NO WAY I would consider it a drop. Collie’s drop on the deep post was a bad one, but nobody is pointing out that the ball was a good 5 yards underthrown, so Collie had to adjust his route and turn parallel to the yard lines and basically come back for the ball. Collie’s route adjustment allowed the FS to get into the play, and I think Collie got distracted thinking he was going to take a huge hit since he was now running towards the FS instead of away from everyone. We had another bomb where Mangum stepped up in the pocket, was under no pressure, Akile Davis had his guy beat and was behind him, and Mangum, instead of setting his feet, threw it on the run and was way short for an easy pick. This was right after his inexplicable pick on the 15 yard line down 11 with time left, when even the announcers were saying we needed to make sure to get at least 3. I’m scared if Grimes and Sitake really believe Mangum gives us our best chance to move.

How do we win with < 200 yards passing, ~ 100 yards rushing, few first downs, and lots of punts? Even if we are playing a “ball control offense.”

Answer: we don’t win varsity games with 200/100. Those numbers will be 250-300 and 150-200 against the JV teams on our schedule, REGARDLESS of who plays QB. We are in a dual threat world, gents. No more slow OLB and DE these days. If your QB can’t beat those guys to the edge or at least escape them on the run in the pocket, it’s lights out for the O.

100 yards rushing will not win many games if any… but 200 yards will.BYU can control games if everyone does their assignments. All of the players after the game said that they were better then Cal but were sloppy in critical areas. I like Grimes a lot but this is a new coaching system and our guys are just getting used to it. It will take time, Like I have been saying, “We have the talent in all the right places, we just need everyone on the same page”.

On the 3rd quarter when BYU got the interceptions/fumbles and BYU goes 3 and out four straight times, We tried the Hoge experiment 3 straight times when he needed 2 yards. It should have been tried and true El-Bakri/Canada. I love our Tight Ends, especially Pututua. We need more blocking schemes that turn into a TE dump off. When these teams put 9 in the box and dare us to run, we can get out in the flats or work the edges more even if Tanner is not getting the deep stuff.

But this would require us to convert rushing consistently on 3rd and 6, or 2nd and 8.

Who here honestly believes that Grimes is going to eventually get us to a point where we can do this against LSU, Wisconsin, Washington, and the like? Let alone this year . . .

Us being us, we absolutely have to have more than 150 yards passing. Or even 250 yards passing. Or, there’s just no way we can compete with good teams.

The notion of a “ball control” offense that doesn’t get first downs is absurd. By definition, “controlling the ball” means you keep moving the chains. And, our lack of a credible passing game hurts what Grimes wants to do with the running game. You can’t do it when you’re always 3rd and long, and they know you aren’t throwing it beyond the marker.

I don’t know what game the media was watching. Even The ball to Collie was underthrown. But my biggest complaint about Mangum, is his field of vision. He simply locks on one receiver and has a hard time seeing anything else

On another note, why didn’t Katoe

2 TD’s and 2 INT’s… small sample size, but terrible.

Okay, I will agree with that…

I think BYU ought to start Mangum and evaluate him each quarter against Wisconsin. If he looks like crap in a given quarter bench him for at least a quarter. See what the sub, either Wilson or Critchlow can do against the Badgers. Critchlow is bigger and perhaps should either start the game or sub for Wilson or Mangum if Tanner fails early.

So Tom, Are you 100 percent certain that El Bakeri was in the right position called in the huddle? Was he were he was suppose to be?

Can you say that with certainty?

I realized a long time ago, I really do not know as much as I think I do.

Chad Lewis gave a talk once about how timing of plays works. To the fans it looks like the QB threw a bad pass, but to the coaches the receiver was not where he was supposed to be.

What scares me is the fickleness of fans. They turn on coaches and players.
Just so you know, I am a big believer in Grimes, I have had friends who played for him. He is a throw back to the days of Roger French, hard nose, no nonsense, holds his players accountable. As “Fish” says, it will take time to get the offense on the same page, I am willing to give them that time based on Grimes past performance. Just look how he has turned the O-line around this year! it Night and Day from last years O-line.

What bothers me about BYU football is not the team, but BYU administration. The day they decided to make BYU football a missionary tool is the day BYU football became irrelevant. It is more important for the administration that the football team is a missionary tool than the team winning games.

Good post Rubicon. To me Mangum lost his mojo in 2016 when he was benched in favor of Hill at QB. 2017 was the proff of Mangum’s loss of confidence. Choosing Mangum as starting QB was a big mistake. Either Wilson or Joe Critchlow should have started the season at No.1 QB.