BYU weaknesses and strengths. start the discussion

BYUcanpass.

Thanks for the explanation. A few of the QB’s that come to mind, (in no particular order, as I am not ranking them) include

1963-66 VIRGIL CARTER

1973-74 GARY SHIDE

1973-77 GIFFORD NIELSEN

1977 JIM MACNAHON

1980-83 STEVE YOUNG

1981-85 ROBBIE BOSCO

1987-91 TY DETMER

1992-94 John Walsh
1995-96 Steve Sarkisian
1996-99 Kevin Feterik
1998-2001 Brandon Doman
2003-2006 John Beck
2006-2009 Max Hall
2012-2016 Tasom Hill
2015 to Present: Tanner Mangum

bsu coug,

Perhaps you, and those in the contiental USA, got the message before we in Hawaii at the game got the message. At the game, we were all holding up plackards saying BCS/BYUfor the cameras to see and record. When the announcement came over the loud speaker, just minutes before the opening kick off, we through our plackards in discuss.

And yes, Luke Staley was injured in the Mississippi State game, but yes also, he did play injured in that Hawaii game. I was there

Dude broke his ankle/leg. I assure you he did not play against Hawaii. Check the box score. Your eyes and now your memory are misleading you. Not trying to be negative but it is what it is.

1 Like

Ron

Thank you for doing my homework for me. You are right on!

What happened to Marc Wilson???

1 Like

Yeah, don’t forget Mark Wilson my first year at BYU 1979 (Mark senior year). Great QB for Raiders and John Madden time too.

Ron, your claim of being at all these games and not knowing the facts is puzzling.

1 Like

I think Luke Staley did suit up BUT HE DID NOT PLAY! See stats below.
BYU vs. Hawaii Football Game, 2001 Season, College Football Stats, BYUStats
I also remember few days before the Hawaii game that it was on the news that BCS reps did say that BYU was removed from consideration of play in that bcs bowl game. And I was watching on KSL local news.

Staley listed as DNP for last two games (Hawaii and the Bowl game)

This one is even more definitive…

I doubt Luke Staley even suited up against. It was a very serious fracture. The frustrating part of it is that Crowton didn’t need to give him the ball on the play he was injured on. My recollection is that the clock was running out and Doman could have taken a knee and then they could have called a timeout kicked the field goal and there would be no time left. They were already in range and were running down the clock to make sure the kick would be the last play of the game. Correct me if I am wrong.

Staley in 2001 was better than Jamaal Williams was in 2016. Williams had a much better career because he wasn’t constantly injured like Staley was and Williams played 4 years. Staley made big play after big play in 2001 and there was hardly a game where he didn’t rip off a long run and generally he had several. I don’t remember what his yards per carry average was but I think it must have been close to 8 which is unreal.

I think you are right about that when he took that last play with some injury. That last play he did put too much effort that he didn’t need to, Miss St. really took him down hard was painful. Gary Crowton didn’t say anything after the game if he admit his mistake putting him back. KSL did say next day that he may suit up but I didn’t think so.
Luke was really good and he ran high yards per play that was for sure. His running acceleration spurt was amazing. I don’t want to take away Jamal Williams talent that he was a true football player (not injury prone). When Luke forego his senior year, I was so hopeful that nfl would take him for a year or two (longer would of been nice) but not so good about his pre & prone injury in the draft. Detroit took him in 7th round.
I love that last play that Doman pitched the ball to Luke on the right sideline against Utah to win the game was beautiful play at LES. Looking at Kyle Whitingham showing disbelief was sweet too.

One more week!

You mean 8 more days, not 7 days :smile:

Picky picky

Now 7 more days :smile:

Thawk,

If you are able to live as long as I have lived, if or when that time comes, you may begin to realize that if you do not take careful notes of each second of each day, you may not remember all the facts that take place during your life time.

I hope that you are not suggesting that I am fabracating the important games in BYU history that I have attended. Most of the games that I mentioned that I attended, a certain Bishop, my son in law, was at those same games.

Ron

DAVID,

Thank you for the stats.

It was so long ago, and my memory is not as sharp in my 80’s
as it was in my 70’s.

I was there. I do remember that both Doman and Staley were enjured.

They were both there. I would have sworn that both did play. Perhaps ??? I don’t know
what to say. I read your stats and there was no mentioned of Stayley. Perhaps his injury was severe
enough to keep him out of the game. ???

Which game was it that he wanted to sue BYU for playing him injured with the results of playing injured causing him pain even today?
I know that retireing his jersey helped bring an end to the controversy and all is good in cougar land now.

Ron

Scott,

Certainly Marc Wilson would be included among the grates at BYU. I did not intend to slight him at all. I am sure there may be a few more that I did not mention. Marc Wilson

Russ and several others that were so kind to send articles of that 1991 season that we reached #12 in the Nation and won all games except the final two games. (12-2 season including the bowl game)

I stand corrected as the details in my memory of those final two games have blured over the years. It does appear that because of the broken leg in the Mississippi game that kept him, (Luke Staley), from playing in that infamous Hawaiian game and also the Liberty Bowl as he is listed as (DNP) Did not play.

I hope that I did not cause any inconvience with my falty memory. Sorry thawk.

Ron