BYU vs. Utah State

Just lose the next six games and Kilani and Co. will have to go. And I thought Bronco and Co. were bad.

Wilson is better than Tanner.

We need to start games with Wilson at QB, not Mangum. I like the idea of using any other QB’s too, anybody except Tanner, he is done.

Yeah, just like all of the players in the nfl, with all those responsibilities I have no idea how they keep their focus.

FYI - that is a lame excuse if you are trying to make one up. Those things should have no bearing on whether or not you give 100% effort on the field.

In consideration of all the factors involved in trying to recruit and coach a unique team like BYU, fans have to admit that Bronco Mendenhall did a pretty good job with the parameters of what he had to work with.

Anybody who thinks differently has no idea what is going on.

He wasn’t the perfect coach, but nobody is and he did a dang good job bringing the program back to respectability and being competitive.

You are talking about apples and oranges. NFL players are far superior athletes. They are older for the most part. At least those who are married which isn’t as many as you may think compared to BYU players who are still in school with families and trying to develop their talent. NFL aren’t distracted with school and most have developed their talent.

Have to agree with that. He won the games he should have. Now, we are in a habit losing to teams we should beat.

As far as I know, every other college football player is also “distracted with school” as well.

Stop making pathetic excuses for the pathetic effort the players and coaches made in this game. It was frustrating to watch the defense stand, watch and wait to see what was going to happen every time USU snapped the ball. The USU offense was so deliberate and slow to run each play it should have been easy for BYU to play better than they did. The defense looked great against Wisconsin… I guess there was no school or any weddings that week?

Come on, weak sauce.

I am going out on a limb here. But I believe with a good QB we would be 4-2 or 5-1. If the offense can move the ball, which will give them confidence, the defense will have more energy. Bronco was a great DC but not a good offensive coach. He was genius at setting up a scheme with average talent on D. However the ability to watch players in practice and even in games and determine who should be playing was missing just like it is with Sitake. Remember that Williams wasn’t our starting RB until injury forced him onto the field. Can you believe that? It should have been obvious that Williams was a higher quality athlete and a gamer to almost any coach who can properly evaluate talent.

Our current DC is just not a smart football coach. He actually has decent athletes but his ability to draw up a game plan and use stunts to get to the QB is just terrible. He has to find other employment.

Here’s my limb. BYU is 3-3 today and how many of us would of been tickled pink at the idea that BYU would be sitting here having that record (a year ago). Granted, we have lost to a team we should not have lost to but most of us would have thought that we lose to AZ, won Cal at home, won USU at home and lost to Wisconsin…it is all perspective.

BYU should win all of our games going forward except BSU and Utah on the road…and go to a bowl game…perspective…even with a lousy passing QB.

That is what we all thought and that is where we sit today.

BTW, THawk, I agree with what you have been saying all along. Tanner is a big problem and needs to go. He can’t make a big play and he certainly is not mobile. Defenses can scout BYU in about 5 minutes.

But other college players are not preoccupied with school and marriage/family and Church service responsibilities at the level of BYU. Then, there is the missionary aspect too. It’s obvious that this is a big deal :slight_smile:

Come out and play they will win, no matter who is the qb against Hawaii. Play like they did against USU -Hawaii will still only have one loss. I was looking for some kind of news today about the qb situation, but nothing or at least letting everyone know their starting positions are on the line-disappointing.

Grimes said that there is a “possibility” that Wilson could start. That is as far as it goes. Meanwhile…
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900036138/byu-football-aleva-hifo-and-sione-takitaki-share-a-unique-bond-which-has-benefited-both-through-their-byu-careers.html?_cid=Email-5&utm_campaign=fa76c6d2f8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_10_11_11_30&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Deseret%20News&utm_term=0_2e4a89ae88-fa76c6d2f8-585682109

Great write up on Takitaki living with the Hifo family and his challenges of running with the wrong crowd before coming to BYU. There were at least 6 NFL scouts at the USU game to see Taki. Love his play.

1 Like

Good article-people are all different and experience different challenges. It makes America great and BYU does impact lives other than on the field which is often unique. Thanks

Agreed. Takitaki is a very bright spot on 2018 defense.