BYU vs. Utah State

There you go-the future Wilson to Romney! 3-3 now. I say give the rest of the year to these young players and let them grow into next year. I know it won’t happen but it should

This is really the first time I’ve seen Wilson throw. It’s effortless and smooth. That is one cool headed true freshman. I know he will make mistakes, but this kid has star written all over him

How do you define irony?

Tom Lamier whined about BYU not passing for. 300yrds.

BYU throws for 326 yrds and we get our butts kicked. Ironic isn’t it.

LOL yes life is often ironic, but I dont think he meant 14 yds rushing until Wilson broke one. Well, since you were there and obviously know a bit about team sports-Where should BYU go from here the rest of the season. Just curious. It’s easier to see the whole field when you are perched over it, then following ESPN’s cameras. I know teams are getting wise to Grimes offensive strategy as I often saw 8 USU players all within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. It’s why BYU’s running and short passing game was ineffective and why BYU got all those passing yards. Also Mangum’s idiotic throw that was returned for a td Was huge in a 0-0 game and it seemed they never got back on track

BYU Football players biggest problem is not thier talent, techinque, the problem is between the ears.

They are making so many mental errors it not funny.

Taner played horrible the first half, but did better the 2nd half, but the team as a whole lost focus.

Maybe grasshopper can teach them some zen crap.

Please no zen from Grasshopper or we are all doomed😐

I listen to the coaches and players during the week. I’m thinking that perhaps the coaches are getting too detailed into everything. Yes, it’s mental. When players miss tackles or so so poorly after doing so well the first 4 games, it’s that they are trying to do too much instead of just playing and reacting. I’ve said many times the DBs react slowly. Now, the D line is too. Time for the coaches to let the players work it all out.
Tanner starts games intimidated. Time to start Wilson against Hawaii.

I agree with everything you are saying here. I have said the same thing for years… that BYU needs a sports psychologist to help the players get their heads on right. They have always had huge problems with thinking they are better than they really are. It isn’t confidence either, it is more arrogance… that is completely unfounded.

They put it together for one game and beat a team like Wisconsin and then they get blown out in back to back games. The McNeese game did nothing for them because the score showed an easy win even though they lacked focus and seemed to be going through the motions.

Floyd has said they often believe the press write ups and when they moved up to #20 in the nation I thought to myself - this is not good, they will be ripe for a huge fall… and they fell badly.

Utah St. is a good team but a lot of it is because they have their heads on straight and they stay focused. BYU doesn’t do that… never has and I don’t know if they ever will. It has ALWAYS been a problem.

That is why they are so hard to root for… frustrating.

What a great night for football under the lights in cougar stadium. However, after watching the whole game there are several questions that need to be dealt with by the coaches. Early in the game Tanner threw a duck toward the sideline and only made into the hands of the defender for the first touchdown for USU. Another was a short less than a yard and BYU throws the ball? Mangum reminds me of what I have seen before (does Las Vegas Bowl against Utah come to mind?) Tanner was intercepted 4 times in that game. He came up tonight with over 200 yards of passing yards but only 13 points. Later part of the game we get to see the freshman run for 25 yards and score quickly to Gunner Romney. One problem that is obvious is the run threat from Tanner is not there. Would like to see Wilson integrated into the quarterback position. He played well for the short time he was in and had more running yards than our running backs. Add to that a touchdown. I was also concerned that the defensive coach was asked how BYU would stop the USU team and he answered score more points. True, however I was concerned about defensive players were out of position and on one play two defensive backs where on one side and USU had an open undefended player for a touchdown on the other side. Lots of work and would love to see more from an offense that can score more than 24 points a game. Defense needs to pick it up too.

Same problems in basketball. It extends to the fans also. Over estimation of talent. BYU has traditionally been slow to make changes in coaching staffs. Sitaki really hasn’t accomplished much in his tenure. He brought his Pal in to manage the defense, which has been predictable and sub-par going on two years now. I know Mangum trys really hard and his effort is commendable, but after seeing Wilson’s throwing motion and his movement running the ball, his calm demeanor under center, I have to question sticking with Tanner, but it seems we have been doing that for years dating back to Nelson. It’s tough being a BYU fan when you see a lack off intensity, which you never used to see and never under Edwards or even Mendenhall. I know that much more of this and the attendance will fall.

It just gets worse every year…

a Loy of people blame Mangum, but watching the game live last night our receivers dropped 28 passes in that game(apparently Marc Lyon counted them).

Your right in the first half, Mangum threw lame ducks, but in the second half he threw some nice balls only to have them dropped.

Maybe it’s because more of our players have more responsibilities outside of football. Wives, children, pets… Rather than arrogance they know if they screw up there is more than football in this world. Just thinking out loud…

That’s what happens when we get down. We lose concentration and focus. We need to start games with longer passes and more misdirection plays. Not the boring stuff we are seeing.

Watching on TV: I thought a lot of BYU players looked bored; I think talent wise, USU has more athleticism and speed; I wonder why they brought Ty Detmer back to run the offense . . . oh yeah, Grimes is the wonder boy OC and doing such a fine job (he said with sarcasm dripping off his lips); The D sucks. IMO, Sitake and crew have to go. Hawaii has a good chance of beating the Cougars. Right now this PROGRAM is in tattered ruins.

It’s easy to get down on Mangum right now, the pick six was tough from a team confidence level. He has played better than I thought he would. I just think it is an entire team problem right now and maybe a change at qb to a confident, young qb with a gunslinger mentality might help BYU to get back on track. Its5a risk but what have they got to lose at this point

No Hawaii won’t beat us, crossing my fingers, but BYU needs to suck it up and ramp up the intensity and that needs to come from the coaching staff to the players. You are right about Sitake and the DC. They haven’t been good in the three years they have been here and have Hill and Williams to thank for moderate success their first year

I hoped that we would see Wilson and not Tanner from the get go this year. Even the average football mind could see that Wilson has way more upside than Tanner has. Wilson has wheels that can bail him out if he gets in trouble. Tanner doesn’t. Wilson should be the starter from here on out except for giving some playing time to the other 2 QBs so they can show us what they have and we won’t have to take Sitakes word that Tanner is better than they are … like he did with Wilson.

If Tanner starts, Hawaii will beat us!

Nah I’m betting 10 cents that BYU wins no matter who starts. But I’m with you on Wilson. Even his throwing motion is a lot cleaner than Tanners. Even so-its time to start preparing for next year and a look see at all the qbs if it looks like we won’t break 500